Basic Practicing Setup

• Thread starter namewithheld
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
I just got an Ibanez RG7321 (craigslist $100, whoo!!). I pretty much suck, but I like Intervals, Chimp Spanner, Animals as Leaders, and I would like to get that heavy sound strictly for bedroom practice (practice...practice...practice) but I don't know where to start. My budget is low (!!!) so I'm looking at either a small (10W-30W) modeling practice amp or a decent sounding practice amp and pedal. I don't need a variety of sounds - just one clean, one fucking metal rhythm, and one balls-out lead. Modifying the guitar right now is not an option. I am moving in a couple of months and will not buy anything until after the move. So hopefully I can get some suggestions before then.

Thanks very much.

Almost forgot to mention that I generally practice at low volumes. I tried the Roland Cube 15xl with power squeeze at Guitar Center today. It was great with a guitar with active pickups, but then I tried it with a guitar with cheap passives and it didn't crunch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
The Peavey Vyper combos sound like EXACTLY what you're looking for!

They sound really fucking good. Even though they're practice amps.

And they're priced REALLY well! I'd save $400 and get the 75W version. I know you want less but you never know what kind of situation you might be in! You could end up being in a band sooner than you might know. And it's easily quiet enough for for any bedroom or apt.

But if you don't want to play in bands, then get the 15-30 watt version.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
don't overlook local pawnshops when looking for an amp, best suggestion i can give. You can often find cubes, vypers, etc pretty cheap.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The Vypyr 15 is near the top of my list. but I didn't want to give that hint away. The Vypyr 15 is now discontinued in favor of the Vypyr Nano and the new VIP1, I think. But the VIPs seem to have way too much shit going on. A used Vypyr 15 seems to be the best bet so far. Thanks.

stevexc

Reaction score
To go in a completely different direction from everyone else posting, I use a distortion pedal (MXR DD11) into a Line 6 Toneport GX. That's hooked up to my PC, where I'm running Amplitube 3. Then it's out through a decent receiver and a pair of surprisingly alright RCAs I salvaged from a cheap stereo system or through my AKGs, depending on how quiet I wanna get. It's nice for portability because as long as wherever I'm at has a set of speakers I can run out through and I have my laptop/toneport I'm good to jam.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
To go in a completely different direction from everyone else posting, I use a distortion pedal (MXR DD11) into a Line 6 Toneport GX. That's hooked up to my PC, where I'm running Amplitube 3. Then it's out through a decent receiver and a pair of surprisingly alright RCAs I salvaged from a cheap stereo system or through my AKGs, depending on how quiet I wanna get. It's nice for portability because as long as wherever I'm at has a set of speakers I can run out through and I have my laptop/toneport I'm good to jam.

Thanks for the different perspective. Just watched a demo of the pedal. Looks great, but I am afraid I'll get latency through my computer. I have a Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz) with 4GB DDR3 Memory.

Right now I just want to push a button and practice, but I will definitely be hooking up to the computer eventually (when I don't suck as much).

FooBAR

n00bling
Reaction score
Why not get:

a POD X3
+
a decent headset
+
a mixer?

If you need to play the guitar by itself, then use the POD + headphones.
If you want to play along to songs, or with a metronome, then connect both your guitar+POD and PC/iPod/whatever to the mixer, then your headphones to the mixer's out.

stevexc

Reaction score
Thanks for the different perspective. Just watched a demo of the pedal. Looks great, but I am afraid I'll get latency through my computer. I have a Pentium P6200 (2.13GHz) with 4GB DDR3 Memory.

Right now I just want to push a button and practice, but I will definitely be hooking up to the computer eventually (when I don't suck as much).

You should still be able to run it fine - I had it running on my old HP laptop, that thing could barely run anything. But in that case on of the all-in-one PODs would work pretty well too.

Of course, I'm a techie guy in general, I like overcomplicating my setup... why go straight into an amp when I can go into a distortion pedal, into an input box, into my computer, into modelling software, then out through a stereo receiver? All in the name of not having to turn around to turn my amp on and off, haha.

FooBAR's got a good suggestion, but while you get more flexibility it's a little pricey plus you need some kind of speaker setup if you want to jam.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
You should still be able to run it fine - I had it running on my old HP laptop, that thing could barely run anything. But in that case on of the all-in-one PODs would work pretty well too.

Of course, I'm a techie guy in general, I like overcomplicating my setup... why go straight into an amp when I can go into a distortion pedal, into an input box, into my computer, into modelling software, then out through a stereo receiver? All in the name of not having to turn around to turn my amp on and off, haha.

FooBAR's got a good suggestion, but while you get more flexibility it's a little pricey plus you need some kind of speaker setup if you want to jam.

Yes, all good suggestions. I definitely don't want to be forced to practice with headphones, though, even though I have awesome headphones that my tech-geek brother gave me. It's too uncomfortable with the extra wire and stuff.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Yes, all good suggestions. I definitely don't want to be forced to practice with headphones, though, even though I have awesome headphones that my tech-geek brother gave me. It's too uncomfortable with the extra wire and stuff.

My home set up its a line 6 ux1 into my computer with Pod Farm and a set of studio monitors. It's as loud as an practice amp. If you go budget on the monitors, the whole thing would run you about 350-400.

What part of New York are you in? If I see any used amps in the stores that are a good price I'll let you know. (also I may have monitors I could sell you cheap)

matisq

Reaction score
I'd say get Vypr 15 and you are good :)
Then just invest in better bridge pickup and you are set!

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I use a Line6 toneport UX2 and plug that in a laptop with headphones or 2.1 speaker set. While practicing I can read a tab book, or mix in a mp3, or follow lessons on youtube. Very useful.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
I'd say get Vypr 15 and you are good :)
Then just invest in better bridge pickup and you are set!

Yes, matisq, I've watched this video many times, and a lot of Ola's others. Thanks. I definitely want new pickups, but I think I might need a job first. I don't think I can install them myself.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
I use a Line6 toneport UX2 and plug that in a laptop with headphones or 2.1 speaker set. While practicing I can read a tab book, or mix in a mp3, or follow lessons on youtube. Very useful.

Thanks. I think I will get this eventually. But I keep my guitar stuff right next to my computer anyhow, so I can have Guitar Pro or tabs up or play music through my laptop to jam to, especially YouTube backing tracks. But I do want a little amp in case someone is charitable enough to want to jam with me.

What kind of DAW or amp modeler (or whatever) are you using?

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
What part of New York are you in? If I see any used amps in the stores that are a good price I'll let you know. (also I may have monitors I could sell you cheap)

Thanks, Joe. As I said above, I can't buy anything until I move to Cleveland. Don't want to move extra stuff. Right now I am using an old Fender 15G. I shouldn't have even bought the seven-string yet, but $100 bucks! Couldn't pass that up.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
What kind of DAW or amp modeler (or whatever) are you using?

I'm using Gearbox. I've tried NI Guitar rig some years ago but it just didn't sound "real" I've heard good stories about Amplitube but never tried.

Gearbox is really basic (and old, everyone uses POD Farm nowadays) but the tones are good and convincing.

LoculusDM

Roadkill
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone I would highly recommend the JamUpPro XT app. Just need the $10 app, $20 plug (from Amazon), and a nice pair of headphones and you are good to go.

Coolest things about the app are;

1) Tons of fairly high quality amp models
2) Onboard accurate metronome and tuner
3) Ability to play any song from your itunes on your phone along with your guitar, and speed up and slow down the track. Makes ear training for fun a breeze. Figure stuff out by ear and practice licks up to speed!
4) Recording and looping capability for idea jamming.

The thing is sweet. Best $30 bucks I've ever spent in my life.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone I would highly recommend the JamUpPro XT app. Just need the $10 app, $20 plug (from Amazon), and a nice pair of headphones and you are good to go.

Coolest things about the app are;

1) Tons of fairly high quality amp models
2) Onboard accurate metronome and tuner
3) Ability to play any song from your itunes on your phone along with your guitar, and speed up and slow down the track. Makes ear training for fun a breeze. Figure stuff out by ear and practice licks up to speed!
4) Recording and looping capability for idea jamming.

The thing is sweet. Best $30 bucks I've ever spent in my life.

Yeah, I've seen the Merrow/Loomis demo. Looks great but I don't have (can't afford) an iPhone and my carrier doesn't support it anyhow. Maybe someday. Thanks.

')