Basic Practicing Setup

• Thread starter namewithheld
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
I'm using Gearbox. I've tried NI Guitar rig some years ago but it just didn't sound "real" I've heard good stories about Amplitube but never tried.

Gearbox is really basic (and old, everyone uses POD Farm nowadays) but the tones are good and convincing.

Gearbox comes with the Tone Port? I see you can get POD Studio GX with POD Farm for $99. That's tempting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
+1 on the Vyper.

Also, do you have a decent computer? You could spend $100 on a decent audio interface and then use free plugins to get the tone you want. That way not only can you get awesome tones, but you also have an easy, quiet recording setup if you ever want to track something. If you want to know what free plugins you can use to help, click on my website in my signature and go over to the blog section, I've written an article on getting awesome guitar tones using ONLY free plugins.

If you're skeptical, check out Sithu Aye. He recorded his Isles EP using only plugins, I think all of them were free too. He's got detailed pictures and settings posted up on his Formspring, or you can PM him here (Username is C2Aye) and pick his brain a bit, he's a really nice dude and always willing to help.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
+1 on the Vyper.

Also, do you have a decent computer? You could spend $100 on a decent audio interface and then use free plugins to get the tone you want. That way not only can you get awesome tones, but you also have an easy, quiet recording setup if you ever want to track something. If you want to know what free plugins you can use to help, click on my website in my signature and go over to the blog section, I've written an article on getting awesome guitar tones using ONLY free plugins.

If you're skeptical, check out Sithu Aye. He recorded his Isles EP using only plugins, I think all of them were free too. He's got detailed pictures and settings posted up on his Formspring, or you can PM him here (Username is C2Aye) and pick his brain a bit, he's a really nice dude and always willing to help.

My computer is a laptop with Pentium 6200 (2.13GHz) and 4GB DDR3. I used to have Fender G-Dec (that I didn't like so I sold) and I always seemed to have a little latency through the computer (or else I had clipping, etc). I am sure the sound can be done, but I am skeptical about my computer.

I have listened to Sithu Aye on bandcamp. Very cool.

I will probably start with the Vypyr, but I definitely want to move to my computer when I get a little better. Now I am wondering if I should go for the 30W instead of the 15W, just to get a better speaker.

I am going to read your djent tone article now. Thanks very much.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
My computer is a laptop with Pentium 6200 (2.13GHz) and 4GB DDR3. I used to have Fender G-Dec (that I didn't like so I sold) and I always seemed to have a little latency through the computer (or else I had clipping, etc). I am sure the sound can be done, but I am skeptical about my computer.

I have listened to Sithu Aye on bandcamp. Very cool.

I will probably start with the Vypyr, but I definitely want to move to my computer when I get a little better. Now I am wondering if I should go for the 30W instead of the 15W, just to get a better speaker.

I am going to read your djent tone article now. Thanks very much.

Cool man. If you have any question let me know. :)

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
Cool man. If you have any question let me know. :)

That article was so great. It was exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks. I think I am going to start with the Vypyr, but should I get a noise gate in front of it? I hate noise. There's one (Boss NS-2) on craigslist for $40. Thanks.

Also, for some reason I thought scooped midrange was part of djent. Obviously it's the opposite. Is that just metal a la Pantera?

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
Ive got a orange crush 12. Its an awesome little amp. I just have my AKG 271's pluged into it. Simple easy..

I have V-Moda Crossfade LP2s, but I don't want to play with headphones on all the time. Does the Orange 12 give you a good djent-prog-metal sound with the speaker on? Thanks.

(I love your counter to the "I listen to everything" excuse. I did the same thing to my daughter's nine-year-old friend when she said she likes everything. I asked her "Do you like heavy metal?" and she was like "Wha? What's that?")

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
Well i play bass lol.
I got a good meshuggah rythm tone on my bass the other day. Totally sounded like i was playing lethargic as fredrik.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
That article was so great. It was exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks. I think I am going to start with the Vypyr, but should I get a noise gate in front of it? I hate noise. There's one (Boss NS-2) on craigslist for $40. Thanks.

Also, for some reason I thought scooped midrange was part of djent. Obviously it's the opposite. Is that just metal a la Pantera?

Supposedly yeah, but scooped mids just means no one will hear you in a mix.

Great man, glad I could help you. The djent guide actually wasn't the one I recommended to you though, hehe. Check out this one:

Record Distorted Guitar For Free at Home Using IR's (PC or Mac)

Hope you can get some help from that one as well.

Yeah I'd grab a noise gate, $40 is good.

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Peavey Vypyr 15. You won't need a noise gate or any other pedal. Turn the feedback, delay and reverb off and this amp is quiet and tight.

With some tweaking from the standard settings it sounds great!
Cheap and sounds amazing. Works great for 7 and 8 strings.

It's my main practice amp because it is so easy to plug-n-play.
I have better amps and still turn to my vypyr 15, it's just fun.

I love the DZL, K-Stein and Rec amp settings, great for any type of metal, and the clean amp settings are also amazing and all sound very different.

You should find any tone you want with this amp and not spend much.

FooBAR

n00bling
Reaction score
Apologies for attempting to hijack the thread...but what's the latency like on that iPhone guitar app someone mentioned a few posts ago?

Does it come with a metronome as well?

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
Supposedly yeah, but scooped mids just means no one will hear you in a mix.

Great man, glad I could help you. The djent guide actually wasn't the one I recommended to you though, hehe. Check out this one:

Record Distorted Guitar For Free at Home Using IR's (PC or Mac)

Hope you can get some help from that one as well.

Yeah I'd grab a noise gate, $40 is good.

Thanks, again. I'll read the recording one next, but the djent sound one really sorted it out for me. I already sound better on my shitty Fender Frontman. So tempted to get the Vypyr now, but I have so much crap to move. Once I get settled I'll set up my workstation, but for now I just need to practice and then practice some more.

namewithheld

I suck at guitar.
Reaction score
Peavey Vypyr 15. You won't need a noise gate or any other pedal. Turn the feedback, delay and reverb off and this amp is quiet and tight.

With some tweaking from the standard settings it sounds great!
Cheap and sounds amazing. Works great for 7 and 8 strings.

It's my main practice amp because it is so easy to plug-n-play.
I have better amps and still turn to my vypyr 15, it's just fun.

I love the DZL, K-Stein and Rec amp settings, great for any type of metal, and the clean amp settings are also amazing and all sound very different.

You should find any tone you want with this amp and not spend much.

Thanks. Yeah, that's definitely the first thing I'll do when I move, scour craigslist for the Vypyr or maybe find a new one at a disco'd discount.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Thanks, again. I'll read the recording one next, but the djent sound one really sorted it out for me. I already sound better on my shitty Fender Frontman. So tempted to get the Vypyr now, but I have so much crap to move. Once I get settled I'll set up my workstation, but for now I just need to practice and then practice some more.

Cool man, let me know how it goes! Can't wait to hear about the results. :)

')