Basic Sweeping

• Thread starter Jontain
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jontain

Reaction score
Hi all, have been playing for a little while now and am just trying to develop my abilities as best i can (still struggle with real fast riffage).

I started to practice a simple dimished scale sweep to begin pick up the technique, pattern goes as follows:-

e|----------------9-h-12-p-9----------------|
B|-------------11------------11-------------|
G|-----------9------------------9-----------|
D|---------8----------------------8---------|
A|-------7--------------------------7-------|
D|8-h-11-----------------------------11-p-8|

Now i began using this as you have 2 notes on the bottom and top strings but only one for the middle giving a clean sweep.

What im looking for is some suggestions of other patterns to practice as i think sweeps are meant to be constructed out of the notes to make up a chord (?); and does that mean that using the dimished scale like that ^ is wrong?

Hope you guys can help, apologise for my basic theory knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jontain

Reaction score
Also i just had a look at that now its in tab form and its ended on 15 notes? Is normal for a sweep, is there like a fixed amount? (lets say in 4/4 for now)

Jontain

Reaction score

I remember watching that a while back, might be worth another look. I apologise if ive asked a frequent question but im really looking for an answer on if using a scale to create a sweep in that way is correct and if not any examples of some simple sweeps would be great.

Just trying not to get stuck memorising one pattern and thats all

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Try this instead to get your pick hand used to sweeping, and you can learn how to roll.

e|---------------7h12p7--------------------|
B|-------------9--------9-------------------|
G|-----------9------------9-----------------|
D|---------9----------------9---------------|
A|----7h10-------------------10p7h10-------|
D|-------------------------------------------|

Jontain

Reaction score
Awesome thank you, in regard to the right hand when it comes to doing hammer-ons for sweeping i have been physically picking the notes (for example with my example picking would go up, down, down, down, down, down, down, up, down, up, up, up, up, up, down)

I found this helped as there is a starting and stopping point to the sweep to get a nice smooth action but i would like to start playing the hammer-ons properly.

So do you just have to practice doing the hammer on in double time (dont think thats correct) or just time the right hand sweeps accordingly:scratch:

Demeyes

Reaction score
Honestly, that shape you posted in the first post wouldn't be a great starting point in trying to learn to sweep. Use some of the more common shapes, and I would recommend starting on 3 and 5 string shapes. They are easier to get the sweep motion down with instead of wide 6 string ones.
Also with regard to the hammer-on bit. I pick once for the turnaround strings but some people like to do more picks on those to bring out the notes more clearly. There's no right or wrong, just different approaches. Don't rush the notes on the high e or at the other end of the sweep. Make sure you space them evenly, they should be the same duration as each note in the rest of the sweep.
Make sure you learn what chord you are actually outlining and not just playing shapes. Knowing what chord you are doing in the arpeggio will make it easier to apply in context.
Here's some really common shapes which, along with the rolling type shapes posted above, are used by just about everyone who sweep picks. Some are just the 5 string extensions of the 3 string ones. You can change up the notes a bit and move the shapes around to get different chords.

--------12-15-12----------
-----13-----------13----
--14-----------------14-

-----13---------13--------
--12---------------12-----

----------------12-15-12-------------------
-------------13-----------13----------------
----------14-----------------14-------------
-------14-----------------------14----------
-12-15-----------------------------15-12---

-----------------12-15----------------------
--------------13-------13-------------------
-----------12-------------12----------------
--------14-------------------14-------------
-12-15--------------------------15---------

-----------------15-19-15---------------------
--------------17----------17-------------------
-----------16----------------16----------------
--------17---------------------17-------------
--15-19---------------------------19----------

With sweep picking it's very very important to take your time. Get familiar with the shapes and don't rush it. Focus on getting the notes clean without having them bleed into each other. Also pay close attention to muting with both your hands to hepl with this. If you rush it, people will be able to hear it. Take your time and the speed will come when you are comfortable with the overall motion of a sweep pick.

Jontain

Reaction score
Honestly, that shape you posted in the first post wouldn't be a great starting point in trying to learn to sweep. Use some of the more common shapes, and I would recommend starting on 3 and 5 string shapes. They are easier to get the sweep motion down with instead of wide 6 string ones.
Also with regard to the hammer-on bit. I pick once for the turnaround strings but some people like to do more picks on those to bring out the notes more clearly. There's no right or wrong, just different approaches. Don't rush the notes on the high e or at the other end of the sweep. Make sure you space them evenly, they should be the same duration as each note in the rest of the sweep.
Make sure you learn what chord you are actually outlining and not just playing shapes. Knowing what chord you are doing in the arpeggio will make it easier to apply in context.
Here's some really common shapes which, along with the rolling type shapes posted above, are used by just about everyone who sweep picks. Some are just the 5 string extensions of the 3 string ones. You can change up the notes a bit and move the shapes around to get different chords.

-----13-----------13----
--14-----------------14-

-----13---------13--------
--12---------------12-----

----------------12-15-12-------------------
-------------13-----------13----------------
----------14-----------------14-------------
-------14-----------------------14----------
-12-15-----------------------------15-12---

-----------------12-15----------------------
--------------13-------13-------------------
-----------12-------------12----------------
--------14-------------------14-------------
-12-15--------------------------15---------

-----------------15-19-15---------------------
--------------17----------17-------------------
-----------16----------------16----------------
--------17---------------------17-------------
--15-19---------------------------19----------

With sweep picking it's very very important to take your time. Get familiar with the shapes and don't rush it. Focus on getting the notes clean without having them bleed into each other. Also pay close attention to muting with both your hands to hepl with this. If you rush it, people will be able to hear it. Take your time and the speed will come when you are comfortable with the overall motion of a sweep pick.

epic reply is epic. Really useful tips here man thanks a bunch, i can see how the patterns people posted would be easier to approach than mine, but unfortuantly thats what happens when i try and use my theory knowledge lol

Cheers:yesway:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score

malin

Goujat
Reaction score

eclipsex1

Reaction score
InsaneGuitar.com - Sweep Picking 101 by Joel Wanasek

I found that site helpful for learning technique and getting a few patterns down, but honestly, I just learned some of Loomis' stuff to get it for the most part. I would recommend Jato Unit (the entire song) and the River Dragon has Come. Also, Born has a pretty cool sweep picked part on the bottom 3 strings. Even if you don't have a 7, you should be able to play large parts of some of his stuff, as I think it rarely goes to the bottom string.

FWB

Reaction score
Here's some arpeggio shapes tabbed out in Guitar Pro. They'll open in Power Tab too I think but I really suggest acquiring Guitar Pro. Getting the basic technique down is probably the hardest part. After that you can pick up some of these shapes real fast.

Attachments

• Sweep Picking.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 12

Jontain

Reaction score
Great stuff guys, pleanty to keep me busy with :hbang:

Thanks

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
The following Powertab file contains diatonic arps in the key of G.
It has:
6-string E/Em shape,
5-string A/Am shape,
7-string D/Dm shape [from which you can extract the more common 5-string sextuplet shape]

Attachments

• 1#s - G Ionian.ptb
    6.6 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

')