Bass recomendations

• Thread starter usagi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a bass for some time. I want something that's 5 stringand not too expensive 600 >. I was looking at the SR505. It sounds like a lot of members here have experience with bass. Any recomendations? Mostly playing metal. It will just be for me to play at home.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Peavey make some great, fairly inexpensive fives. Recommend those. I can't remember the exact model of mine, but I brought it second hand from my brother, and I've never had to do anything to it.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
the SR505 is wonderful...plays and sounds amazing...w/bartolini's too. You won't be dissapointed.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
I picked up a used Peavey TL-5 a couple years ago for I think $450 or so. Great bass, neck thru, active bartolini's etc.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez. :agreed: Personally I think Ibanez basses are on par with most expensive stuff. The necks are comfortable, the weight is fairly balanced (all basses I know of are neck-heavy, though), and the electronics are usually very versatile. I play Dean basses myself. They are cheaper than Ibanez and they make a 35" six string fretless, which is right up my alley. Dean's electronics are, on average, less reliable than Ibanez's, but the tone is more or equally versatile. :)

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
there's a great review on the site somewhere of several basses (i think written by No Soul), where he finally found a great G&L bass.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
I'm an Ibanez fan boy so that's my first choice. Thanks for the suggestions.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Yep the Ibanez stuff is excellent. I fell in love with a SR506BM the other day. :wub:

Dylan7620

that guy
Reaction score
my friends have had everything from the SR405, SR485, SR885 and SR506. my new bassist is looking at the new 505. we both agree that they are leaps over the sr4*5 series. plus that finsish just makes me drool. if i played bass, this would be my main player.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have an ESP F-205 that I put active EMG DC40 5-string pickups in. The stock EMG-HZ pickups were a joke. It has a mahogany body, maple neck. Active EQ, etc.

Once I'm done using it to record for my current project, I could sell it to you. I paid $699 for the thing new I believe, then $100 per pickup. Great bass but I have no need for it really anymore, seeing as I'm not a bassist.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:
What scale length is it? I always liked the style. Reminds me of batman.

my F-205 has a 35" scale.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Leon said:
there's a great review on the site somewhere of several basses (i think written by No Soul), where he finally found a great G&L bass.

Yeah, that was me.

Here's the thread, it has more detailed info than I care to re-type here. ;)

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4754

I played a lot of basses in my search, and I can make some solid, strong recommendations. A G&L Tribute L-2500 will easily stomp almost any other sub $1000 bass out there. It's made extremely well, and uses the same Fullerton made pickups as the really expensive US made G&L's. Do some searches on it and you'll see, it's not just me. Everyone that has one raves about them.

I didn't play one Ibanez bass that I liked, and I played about twenty of them. Which really made me sad, because I think they look really cool. But they all sounded thin and cheap and the necks were too thin. Granted, I didn't get into the more expensive ones, but in the under $1000 category, I feel there are a lot better options out there than Ibanez.

bigsethmeister

Moooosician
Reaction score
Anyone tried a MIM Jazz fretless (or fretted for that matter)?

I need a fretless at some point and I'd just get a used Am Jazz but they seem to be hard to find in a fretless. At least I never seem to come across any at the stores.

')