Bass removing tone knob?

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make a passive tone knob that rolled off bass/low end instead of treble? I think this would actually be useful, since sometimes you want less bass before your distortion which will give you a tighter sound, but other times you want that huge, but loose, sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is pretty much what a Tube Screamer or similar pedal does bro. I'd recommend going that route since a boost is almost a necessity for any metal rig.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized thats not very helpful. A tone knob that could do that WOULD be cool, but I dont know the answer.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
This is pretty much what a Tube Screamer or similar pedal does bro. I'd recommend going that route since a boost is almost a necessity for any metal rig.

The problem is that a boost pedal affects your volume and will distort a signal easier. A passive knob would not affect either

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Yeah I know about that, and I still will be getting a TS/TS Clone of some sort, but I was wondering about this mostly for clean tones with big low tuned chords, but also curious about the distortion thing too.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I doubt it possible.

Of my extremely limited knowledge of how pots work the way I understood it was,

The higher the Ohm rating the more resistance to ground the more signal leaves the guitar, turning down the pot just bleeds off signal to ground. The signals mostly treble so it seems like the tone knob kills treble even though its really just grounding signal.

Using that knowledge the only two things I can think of doing is using a 1meg pot and turning it down half way to make it a 500k pot and then when you want the extra treble (signal) turn it up to get the extra rating.

OR create a bypass to the circuit so at the flick of a switch you can make the guitar direct-out instead of having the circuit which would let the full signal from the pups out of the guitar which would seem like a treble boost.

Dave

Reaction score
Yeah it's possible, basically what you'd do is put a capacitor and the pot in parallel between the hot of the pickup and the output/volume. As you increase the resistance more of the signal is forced to go through the capacitor, cutting bass out. As for what values of pot and capacitor would sound good I'm not sure but it is doable.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Can be done, has been done, I've owned a guitar with it stock. Look up the Fender "TBX" knob...it's a tone pot with a center detente, and when you roll it one way, it cuts treble, roll it the other way and it cuts bass. Unfortunately, I don't remember how it's wired...it was a few years ago that I had it.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Can be done, has been done, I've owned a guitar with it stock. Look up the Fender "TBX" knob...it's a tone pot with a center detente, and when you roll it one way, it cuts treble, roll it the other way and it cuts bass. Unfortunately, I don't remember how it's wired...it was a few years ago that I had it.

The TBX doesn't cut bass, but changes the load on the pickup by introducing a 1M pot in the upper half of it's range in place of the 250k pot of the lower 50% (which also incorporates a cap to make that lower half a traditional tone pot. So rather than rolling off bass it brightens up the treble as you turn it up.

I'd been meaning to update that Tight Control thread but right now I can't remember what I was going to change. Probably just pedantic corrections. The principle works and I have a bass rolloff network wired permanently into my 8 to tighten it up and stop the low F# overpowering things. It's just a matter of finding the right cap to suit you as the cutoff frequency is dependent on the impedance of the first thing you plug into. Most gear has an input impedance of either 500k or 1M.

')