Basswood body with wood filler

followtherhythm

Reaction score
Hey all just a quick question. I am attempting to refinish an old jackson guitar body. It appears to be made of basswood. The grain isn't too attractive and I have already filled in holes used to mount pickup rings with wood fillter. I am afraid If I stain the guitar these holes will show through. So my question is how should I finish the body? Is paint my only option? If I can use a stain what would look good in everyones opinion? Will I be able to cover up the filled holes?

Thanks a bunch in advance, I will post progress pics

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
You will see the filler through stain. You could re-drill them and insert a wooden dowel but you still probably see it depending on stain colour. I'd say paint it or put the pickup rings back on.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Iirc, basswood doesn't stain all that well either. Its generally why cheap guitars always have it completely coated in one color.

7JxN7

Reaction score
If you really want a natural/stain finish and want to cover those holes AND have a good grain on the top, you could always take the next step and try putting a veneer on it

Latest posts

')