Batshit insane christian Blue laws

• Thread starter Tiger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
There is a Jewish guy who runs a liquor store near my house that stays open late and on ALL holidays. Even the Jewish ones. He is awesome haha.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Down here liquor stores (usually separate from grocery stores since they require a special permit) can only be open from 10 to 9 and can't open on Sundays. Sundays before the afternoon, alcohol can only be served along with a meal. Bastards.

Jeff

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
Down here liquor stores (usually separate from grocery stores since they require a special permit) can only be open from 10 to 9 and can't open on Sundays. Sundays before the afternoon, alcohol can only be served along with a meal. Bastards.

Jeff

I was like "wtf" then I remembered you were from TX. Nothing against the big T state but :noplease:

And TC, I'd have just gone in, got the stuff you needed, put the money on the register and walked out. If they refuse to take the money for the items then I'm pretty sure you could get the whole "blue law/utter shit" thing over turned in court.

And it's a shame anyone, even religious people can't buy anything on Sundays :nuts:. It doesn't matter if you believe in god or not, maybe I need to go get a fucking video game sunday morning. I'd like to hear their definition of "essential". What if I'm seriously addicted to video games and it's buy it or put a gun to my head? I'd call the video game essential then.

cosmicamnesia

Reaction score
i live in pennsylvania and we can't buy beer in grocery stores EVER...so it's either beer distributors which have the most fucked up hours you could imagine, or ohio

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
Prohibition on Sundays is bullshit. The very fact that selling something is legal 6 days a week but is illegal one day of the week is absolutely fuct. It's one or the other, it's either illegal or legal, none of this "sort of" bullshit.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
HE DIED FOR YOUR SINS, YOU HEATHEN WRETCH.

Seriously though, I just see this as another example of Christian oppression and domination over as many aspects of North American life as they can fit into their fists. Why they see it as necessary to restrict the sale of swimming goggles to people before 1:30PM Central Time on a Sunday to somehow honour a dead Jewish guy who got nailed to a tree 2000 years ago for being a pecker to the Romans is anybody's guess though.

G0DLESSENDEAVOR

Reaction score
:lol: Just go to Walmart as usual on a sunday where you live and walk up to the cashier with the item you intend to buy. When they try to refuse just state that your an atheist and the blue law does not affect you.

The "blue law" is the workings of hell!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you folks, but even if this IS in fact a Christian thing, whoever instituted definitely had a gross misunderstanding of doctrine. See, when Jesus died (yes, I believe it, I'm a Christian, flame on), he erased the need for all the Jewish law and practice that came before him. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame the people who misinterpret Christianity, not Christianity itself.

:2c:

Reaction score
Hate to break it to you folks, but even if this IS in fact a Christian thing, whoever instituted definitely had a gross misunderstanding of doctrine. See, when Jesus died (yes, I believe it, I'm a Christian, flame on), he erased the need for all the Jewish law and practice that came before him. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame the people who misinterpret Christianity, not Christianity itself.

:2c:

Why I believe you just pwned everyone

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nah, I think you have it wrong. Blame Christianity, not Christ, is what you're saying.

Nope, it really is misinterpretation. Otherwise it would be a standard issue belief among all Christians, which it definitely is not. Where I'm from, they actively DISCOURAGE the line of thinking that suggests we can't work Sundays, by pointing out that Jesus himself worked on the Sabbath (healed the blind man). If anything, it's more of a Jewish thing than a Christian thing. One of the ten commandments is "Keep the Sabbath Holy." It's quite doable without abstaining from work on Sunday. Sunday worship stems from tradition, not doctrine. I guarantee you, I can worship God any day of the week.

Tiger

Reaction score
Nope, it really is misinterpretation. Otherwise it would be a standard issue belief, which, I guarantee you, it's not. Sunday worship stems from tradition, not doctrine. I guarantee you, I can worship God any day of the week.

Yea I am pretty sure the rage I was feeling disregards whether the fantasy land worshipers were following the law of their space god or misinterpreting it.

People DO go to church on Sundays. People go on Wednesdays. Yet for some reason we make room for them to go on Sunday by...not selling certain items, what?

Religion is a freedom here, but when other peoples bullshit starts infringing on me its illegal, which is why in most of the country it has been found unconstitutional.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
This is not the first place where this discussion has taken place (of course, Matthew 5:17 disagrees with you completely, as was stated in several other places) but what motivates people to do this is their religious beliefs. Now we all know that everyone but you has everything wrong and misinterprets everything and so on (don't take this the wrong way - I'm not disagreeing that they misinterpret the fucking shit out of everything), but whether or not it's right it's their belief and motivation. I'm quite sure you're better off than the super-fundies who put laws like this in place, but until you can beat some sense into them we're out of luck.

Jeff

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I am pretty sure the rage I was feeling disregards whether the fantasy land worshipers were following the law of their space god or misinterpreting it.

People DO go to church on Sundays. People go on Wednesdays. Yet for some reason we make room for them to go on Sunday by...not selling certain items, what?

Religion is a freedom here, but when other peoples bullshit starts infringing on me its illegal, which is why in most of the country it has been found unconstitutional.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's completely understandable that you feel the way you do, I probably would to. But please refrain from the disparaging remarks against my faith (the whole 'Space Jesus' thing... the discussion could do without that).

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You are a far better Christian to have around than that FlyingBanana nut, so I don't think that's a very hard request to deal with.

Jeff

Tiger

Reaction score
Except it is a space god you worship, Im not sure how I am incorrect there or how that is disparaging. He is his own son and lives in heaven, out in space. Its no more offensive than when we refer to other peoples sun god's, it is what it is(nt).

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
See, when Jesus died (yes, I believe it, I'm a Christian, flame on), he erased the need for all the Jewish law and practice that came before him.

Actually, like jeff said before, Matt 5:17:
Bible said:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

So if anything, that means that you should indeed follow all jewish laws, in addition to the christian ones.

Unless, you're a follower of Pauline Christianity...
Romans 7:4
Bible said:
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ;

')