BBE Sonic Maximizer

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering wtf that piece of gear everyone talks about is... so I finally got around to looking it up on their website, thought it looked cool, went and tried it... and I'm gassing to get this one right now. I used the 882i one, which they took from a rack in the pro audio section in the guitar center, and hooked it up to an amp for me, and it really did just make everything a lot smoother. Which one is the one that works the best for guitar tho? I seriously need to buy one.

Oh yeah, and the 482i is the one for guitar instruments... they probably should have had me using that one... so I'm guessing that answers my own question? And, what about discontinued models, that I could search for used?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goth_fiend

Reaction score
I have a 362i in my rack and use it to smooth everything out on my rig, gives me just that little extra something in my tone, I dont even use the knobs on it, just turn it on and let it do its thing (If I remember right somebody else here does the same)

Reaction score
I've got the 482i. Use it after a Voodu Valve into the power amp of an old Peavey Bandit. Sounds great. I barely turn the knobs on too. Maybe 9 o'clock or so, but never any higher. The 362 used to add a slight hum to my signal. I can't hear any with the 482i.

It realy depends on what amp you're using it with. It used to sound great with a Marshall Valvestate, and a TSL combo. Sounded like crap with the Mesa Boogies I've had since. I would not advise using it with a Boogie, but that's just my opinion.

Desertdweller (Vince) here used to use it with a Rocktron Piranha & a Boogie 50/50. (Or maybe it was a 2:90, I can't remember) That sounded killer. :shred:

Nick1

Reaction score
I used to use one with my SS amps but when I switched to all tubes I tried it and the tubes lost their organic sound. I didnt like that one bit. So I sold it.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Always put it just before the power section. I run the 482i with the knob around 5. It's the box no rack user should be without.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I got one waiting to go in whatever L6 modeling setup I get. I love what they do to sound.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
woot, thanks guys:), I think I'm gonna get one off ebay... and can anyone tell me the difference between the 482i and the 482 other than a new face cover? Their specs are the EXACT same.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
For guitar (BBEs with 1/4" ins and outs), check these out....

482i = the current stereo version
462 or 422A = the older stereo versions
362 = the older mono version

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
you can also try out the APHEX Guitar eXciter for 1/2 the price and more options for tone..I swere by it....great for Jazz Guitar 7's.....

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell,i bought 362i off ebay for 50$. Its freaking glorious. One of the coolest pieces of equiptment ever.

Shaman

Reaction score
I have the SonicStomp, which should basically be a pedal version of the 482i. The Sonic Maximizer is an essential part of my rig too. It gives that extra thickness and clarity.

It's dead silent too.

Very nice and versatile piece of equipment.:hbang:

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
so all of you bbi sm supporters, i have a chance to pickup a bbi 462 sonic maximizer for 50 bucks, it looks to be in imaculate condition, but will it work with my rig well? i'm running a mackie poweramp, pod xt live(usually the spinal puppet or soldano models) and a halfstack of swamp thangs

thedownside

Reaction score
so all of you bbi sm supporters, i have a chance to pickup a bbi 462 sonic maximizer for 50 bucks, it looks to be in imaculate condition, but will it work with my rig well? i'm running a mackie poweramp, pod xt live(usually the spinal puppet or soldano models) and a halfstack of swamp thangs

me and my other guitarist both use them all the time. he uses an xt live, and i had an xt live and now have a gnx3000... i wont play without one. really makes the modelled tone pop.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just sold my BBE with my rack. I found it really helped to dial in a more "focused" sound. But with the PowerBlock, i'm really happy with how clear and articulate things are, so i didn't feel the need to keep it in the signal path.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
BBE...

stay away from these things if you have a good rig or amp. All it will do is add mud to your tone and your guitar will clash with Kick drums & Overheads.

Santiago

')