BC Rich Gunslinger Retro

• Thread starter Tristoner7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been thinking about picking up one of these as I have a soft spot for 80s guitars, I've read a lot of good things about them too. Now my Question is... I've heard a lot of comparisons between the older ones from a couple years ago (which had an Alder body, a Dimarzio PU and sold for about $599) and the newer ones (which has a Basswood body and a Rockfield PU and sell for about $299) and wanted to know if there is that big of a difference in quality ? If anybody on here has/had one of the newer or older ones, how was it in terms of playability and build quality ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not too sure about the older ones but the newer ones are pretty solid. I have my eyes on that bright green one.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
So do I. And it seems that for $299 you can't go wrong. I'd like a neck pickup, but that's kind of against the spirit of the whole thing.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score

That's my band and my yellow gunslinger retro.

I LOVE these guitars. I've had a black one as well, and picking up a green one at the end of the year.

The one I picked up is a basswood body and rockfield PU. I actually used the Rockfield pickup with the recording of the solos noted in the video above. I've since replaced it with an EMG 81x (I'm an active/emg guy)

The 2011 have had the original floyd rose replaced with a original floyd rose special series (which isnt TOO different, just a different metal type. HHI, parent company of b.c rich, also own floyd rose)

Great guitars and a great bang for buck. I love mine!

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Did you really play it in the (simulated) rain? :(

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I was just gonna post that video until you did, Captain! :lol:

Kinda forgot you're a member here too. :flame:

ascender

Reaction score
I, as well, am eyeballing the bright green one. I'm thinking for $299, a pickup change, and an eventual bridge swap, it's well worth it.

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of sticking a SD Blackout in there. Seems like I might have a NGD post in a month or two !

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Excellent pickup choice, if I do say so myself! Make sure it's the neck (alnico) Blackouts, that should add more warmth to your tone. It sounds really good in my all-maple KKV!

Tristoner7

Reaction score

That's my band and my yellow gunslinger retro.

I LOVE these guitars. I've had a black one as well, and picking up a green one at the end of the year.

The one I picked up is a basswood body and rockfield PU. I actually used the Rockfield pickup with the recording of the solos noted in the video above. I've since replaced it with an EMG 81x (I'm an active/emg guy)

The 2011 have had the original floyd rose replaced with a original floyd rose special series (which isnt TOO different, just a different metal type. HHI, parent company of b.c rich, also own floyd rose)

Great guitars and a great bang for buck. I love mine!

What other guitar would you compare the neck carve to ? Is it pretty thin ?

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've played a yellow one of these and it was awesome, I would love to add one to my collection one day. The start-out spec is good for a £399 guitar, and a Seymour Duncan Blackout and a Floyd Rose Original trem could be dropped in there when and if you want to spend the money on them and it would be a killer guitar.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
If you can get the older model with the better pickup and so on but if you can't then don't worry about it cause they are still DAMN solid guitars

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
"Neck Pickups
We wanted to make sure the neck version of the mafia pickup was just as full sounding as the bridge position. We wanted to do this without taking away from what we had already accomplished. So we again we went into the wood shed and made very minor modifications to the overall design and design concept of this pickup. When we came out we were confident that the Mafia neck pickup had that punchy bold tone with the same aggressive characteristics as the bridge version. A tad brighter with a little less output really takes this pickup into the smooth and warm realm of the tonal spectrum. All while maintaining that balanced bite and in your face aggressive tone that the mafia is known for!" Zzsounds... There is no neck pickup though :lol:. I may consider one of these Gunslingers.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^There was on the red one, The Gunslinger Blade.

')