BC Rich ID help?

• Thread starter mojomusicllc
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey forumites! I am new here and came to you because I need some help (and yes, that is probably mental help as well!)

I have a friend who has this guitar:

555513_318648194898820_904270546_n.jpg

It's an 87 (based on the Ser#, but as I understand it they were a few model years ahead by then - it's probably more like an 83. It is a BC Rich Mockingbird, but...

Neck through design without 'Made in USA' anywhere on the guitar, but also no indication it was made elsewhere.

4 knobs instead of the usual 3 and banks of micro switches.

Ser# 87632

So, any clues for me? My pal wants to sell and he asked me to research what it might be worth. I'm not looking for offers, but ID help only...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
You should see it in person! ;)

Like I said, once I know what it is I can set the value myself. I just need some help in figuring that out.

But for the lookers, here's a little of the back story. This guitar was bought new in March of 1984 and was put away - unplayed. It is literally a new guitar - no fret wear, pick scratches, nothing. The original owner owed my friend some serious scratch, and he go the guitar as partial payment. Hence the need for the ID help.

Green_jelly88

Pancake batfish
Reaction score
Talk about a time capsule! I have no idea what it would be worth in the US, but I'm pretty sure all BC Rich's with that big 'R' logo are custom shop made.

Reaction score
Not yet - only saw the guitar for the first time last night. I had no idea they might be of help here, but I saw that advice on several forums this evening. I will make the call Monday.

Reaction score
Talk about a time capsule! I have no idea what it would be worth in the US, but I'm pretty sure all BC Rich's with that big 'R' logo are custom shop made.

From what I'm seeing now, this isn't the case. Looks to me like all American BCRs had that logo during those years, and coupled with the 87xxx Ser# I'm now pretty convinced this is a USA model, and 'maybe' a custom shop job.

')