BC Rich Ignitor 7 strings

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Broderick used to perfectly play the harmonized solo with Loomis when he was in the band. Smyth just played rhythm guitar only.

At 1:16, Broderick used to harmonize the solo with Loomis, Smyth doesn't. Hence why I said he wasn't proficient enough and was a let down for me on that Gigantour dvd.

I know, I saw both lineups, and Steve's a friend of mine. Steve *can* play it - he certainly played equally difficult things when he was in Forbidden. They played a lot of songs differently with Steve in the band, since he wasn't "filling in" so they had a lot more rehearsal time to make decisions on things. Broderick learned a lot of the stuff on his own, which is kinda insane in it's own right.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the album that had Steve Smyth onboard was my favourite. Dunno how much input he had on it, though.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Yes and my argument here is that Smyth didn't proficiently play the solo with Loomis live. There used to be a live video of Broderick playing said solo on YouTube, but it was taken down.
I've seen Nevermore w/ Smyth and he'd play an occasional solo and was just fine up there with Loomis. If you're talking about the harmonized part where it's a just a repeating pattern moving from one string to the next, it's not that hard to play and I'm sure he could do it if he wanted to. What you probably won't see in those live DVDs is Loomis fucking up. He botched a few parts when I saw him live with Nevermore (solo to final product after the tapping lick, parts of Born), but was more or less flawless with Conquering Dystopia.

Broderick is now playing live with In Flames, but I don't think he's handling every solo. Maybe they have him playing rhythm cause he's not "proficient" enough. LOL

Latest posts

')