BC Rich "Mahogany"

• Thread starter Blue1970Cutlass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
I've noticed that BC Rich now claims Mahogany as the body wood on most of their guitars -- even the entry level ones...

I know they used to use cheaper woods like Agathis

Are they really trying to up their game or have they found some loophole (like how some companies used to call Nato "Eastern Mahogany" sort of misleading

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
(like how some companies used to call Nato "Eastern Mahogany" sort of misleading

Actually, most of their low/midrange guitars are indeed Nato and they call it Eastern Mahogany, and lately I've seen them and another company or two just leave off the "eastern" bit. However, I have a Warlock Deluxe Music Farm limited edition with Walnut Burl top that is Nato and it's fucking awesome, so I'm not complaining.

Rev.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
yeah I've had two NJ Deluxe models, and a warlock NT, are all 'nato' mahogany. All sound great so I'm not complaining either.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Never had agathis myself but I am one of those anti-basswood people, not because of tone but primarily because every basswood guitar I've owned dented/chipped so ridiculously easily. I also prefer a slightly more weighty axe as I feel it's more stable when on a strap. The weight can also help counter neck dive.

Rev.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I also have had a couple nato hog BC Rich WMD warbeasts (only sold one to my friend who needed, with condition of must sell back to me if he ever sells lol).

I love them. They're not as beefy as the usual more expensive mahogany, but that lends a more crunchy bite to the sound IMO.
Most of the current production BCs have fairly chunky maple necks which somewhat dominate the core tone anyways on neck-thru models.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All I'm going to say is: B.C. Rich aren't the only ones using "Nato", but they're certainly the most honest about it. ;)

If you have a MIK/I/C guitar made of "mahogany", chances are that's the timber being used.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
If you have a MIK/I/C guitar made of "mahogany", chances are that's the timber being used.

I'd be curious to see a test done comparing nato and "real" mahogany by the same maker, to the same standard of quality. I'm pretty sure people would realize the importance the build quality in overall sound pretty quickly.

Breakdown

Reaction score
All I'm going to say is: B.C. Rich aren't the only ones using "Nato", but they're certainly the most honest about it. ;)

So even if a guitar is made of Nato companies can legally advertise that the guitar is made of "mahogany" instead of "eastern mahogany" or "Nato". Ive always wondered where non-japanese asian guitar factories sourced their mahogany. I thought they used African mahogany but wasn't sure.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
The fact that it's been commonly referred to as "eastern mahogany" for quite some time would probably cover their using the term in advertisement.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see a test done comparing nato and "real" mahogany by the same maker, to the same standard of quality. I'm pretty sure people would realize the importance the build quality in overall sound pretty quickly.

There is nothing "wrong" with Nato. It has the same potential to be a great sounding wood as just about anything else. It's just cheaper to source.

So even if a guitar is made of Nato companies can legally advertise that the guitar is made of "mahogany" instead of "eastern mahogany" or "Nato". Ive always wondered where non-japanese asian guitar factories sourced their mahogany. I thought they used African mahogany but wasn't sure.

Well, the term "mahogany" is a very ambiguous one. There isn't one "true" mahogany, but a plethora of woods who fall into that category.

Honestly, there's nothing to worry about. The only folks who think this matters are the guys who think that pretty/expensive/rare woods equal great tone instantly. :lol:

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Had a Warlock NJ with nato body and I believe the Stealth 7 is nato too, both sounded ridiculously good.

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
Never had agathis myself but I am one of those anti-basswood people, not because of tone but primarily because every basswood guitar I've owned dented/chipped so ridiculously easily. I also prefer a slightly more weighty axe as I feel it's more stable when on a strap. The weight can also help counter neck dive.

Rev.

That is kind of why I'm asking... I have the older "Trace" model Warbeast which is basswood & I almost never touch the thing because if I even look at it cross-eyed it has new dent or ding! And yeah, even after moving the strap buttons it still has some neck dive
But I like its looks, (which is probably why I still have it even though its just a wall hanging) and I see the new one is listed as Mahogany (so probably Nato/Eastern Mahogany) so I was considering 'upgrading' to the new model

Edit: I would just spring for the NJ Deluxe but I despise trems.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score

If you're of the camp that feels woods make a dramatic difference in tone for an electric then you should also be aware that in a neck through guitar it's said the neck wood contributes about 85% or more of the tone, or at least that is what I've read from many different sources. So if that is true than maple would be the prominent tone anyhow.

Rev.

robertkoa

Reaction score
If you're of the camp that feels woods make a dramatic difference in tone for an electric then you should also be aware that in a neck through guitar it's said the neck wood contributes about 85% or more of the tone, or at least that is what I've read from many different sources. So if that is true than maple would be the prominent tone anyhow.

Rev.

Yeah, not sure if ypu can put an exact % on it but if you want your neck thru to sound like Mahogany, the neck is where you start.

The side "wings" are considered less important by most but some conyribution to tone.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
As for agathis, stay away from it, it sounds dead and stiff, doesn't resonate much.

I have 3 guitars made from mahogany and they all sound vastly different, which is pretty confusing. Guess with "mahogany" you never know what you get.

Mahogany neck through with glued on mahogany wings sounds pretty nice.

But honestly i cant imagine that the BC rich asia imports use higher grade tone woods at all. They are all geared towards being aesthetically pleasing to the eye. BC rich usa is a different story though...

')