Beginning ProTools

Bigredjm15

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently acquired an Mbox 3 that comes with protools LE 8. I've been using sonar for about 10 years now and pretty comfortable with the terminology so please don't shy away. I'm trying out protools because of a lot of reasons but mostly because I like to broaden my software knowledge. Anyways to my questions.

1. Currently on my computer I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS platinum Pro, which has it's own external box with 1/4 inputs on it, volume control ect. Does the Mbox essentially make this box useless? I use the computer for gaming as well and I noticed messing around the other day that the only time audio would go through the Mbox was when protools was in session or up. I'm also using an toneport UX2. I guess I'm looking for advice on how the hardware should be set up to allow for both gaming and audio recording without having to change a bunch of settings to activate this sound card or that hardware.

2. I'm using superior drummer 2.0 with metal foundry. I found how to insert it into a track in protools but for some reason, only the snare and bass drum come through. I don't know why any of the cymbals are not making sound? And the whole set is loaded (it's not cached or anything). Any suggestions?

3. Has anyone used protools to do the drum editing? Or is it better to use an outside program such as guitar pro to lay it down and import?

4. Is it worth upgrading to protools 10?

Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

In case it's necessary to know, computer specs:
Windows 7 64bit
8 Gb ram
AMD 64 quad
1tb HDD
SLI graphics (fucking awesome)
Soundblaster audigy 2ZS platinum pro sound card

Other things maybe necessary to know
2 Dogs stewie and josie
social security # 1234-56-7890
Yearly income, negative numbers

Thanks again!
Jon

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
1. You should be able to set the output of your Windows sound to the Mbox in control panel if you so wish.
Incase you didn't know, Protools version 9 or 10 is no longer limited to it's own hardware, so if you upgrade Protools you can run it through the soundblaster (wont be as good as the Mbox, though). Just saying this because if you wish to upgrade your interface, you don't have to be limited to Digidesign gear.
So yeah, I wouldn't bother with the soundblaster anymore.

2. Try messing with the mixer in Superior Drummer. Sounds like the cymbals are set to a different output.

3. MIDI drum editing? Sure. It's just the same as Sonar really.

4. Yep. Take a look at the new features with v9/10

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
What EE said is pretty much spot on...

but upgrading is a must mostly for the following two reasons:

1) Automatic Delay Compensation - without it your life will be hell

2) Non Digidesign Hardware, which will mean you can use any old interface (but the Mbox 3 is fine)

To be honest I'd sell the Line6 unless you particularly need it. The Mbox will work with Sonar just fine.

')