Belated NGD: A Very Black (Metal) Baritone

sell2792

Reaction score
I was recently fortunate enough to acquire Simon Sludge’s LTD Black Metal MH-7HT - this thing is currently set up in drop-E and is absolutely crushing! The pickup was replaced with an Instrumental Pickups SFTY4-7 pickup, and the volume knob was swapped with a Tesi low-profile kill switch. It plays like a dream, but I’m still getting used to playing something tuned so low. I don’t have nearly as good of pictures as he took, so hopefully he doesn’t mind me using his. Overall, great guy to deal with if you ever get the chance.

CEC0AE2F-4656-4170-A44D-335341C4CAF3.jpeg

DF4A461D-A237-4EB7-9FBD-F756ED5C0BF7.jpeg

3A8CC67F-7CFD-4BB5-86F8-E4E471A5385A.jpeg

BA166957-DA12-4132-B792-3212C52DFC64.jpeg

317DAC28-20E1-40BD-A795-1DD83F5618F0.jpeg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
Nice! I love Simon's instagram page. He's turned me on to some great music over the years through me following him there.

I've got a very expensive (IMO) custom 6 string being build in the Netherlands by Aristides, but found a new one of these baritone LTDs and grabbed it straight away about several months ago. I love it. I want to get to drop F but it would need different strings, a setup, and (arguably) a new pickup. It is built solid as hell for an Indonesian made guitar.

Congrats on grabbing one with a really cool history and mods dude!

sell2792

Reaction score
I've got a very expensive (IMO) custom 6 string being build in the Netherlands by Aristides, but found a new one of these baritone LTDs and grabbed it straight away about several months ago. I love it. I want to get to drop F but it would need different strings, a setup, and (arguably) a new pickup. It is built solid as hell for an Indonesian made guitar.

It holds up well for drop-E. No idea what gauge strings he put on it, but with this set-up it plays like butter. He said he actually really disliked the Black Winter tuned down this low and really liked the pickup he put in. I briefly had the six string FR version and liked the BW as low as drop-C, but I'm sure it handles things a lot differently tuned so low. That being said, so far I like this pickup a lot. However being limited to one pickup I may look at putting a Fishman Modern in for varieties sake and add the volume knob back with push-push.

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
Yeah, gotta say, I do get where you are coming from with getting an active with different voices and all. Some versatility can be really great for certain things. I know this is a lame excuse to not ever load any of my guitars with actives, but I can't be hassled with batteries or recharging, even if it is very infrequently needed. I'm difficult like that. Ha!

I was thinking about sticking a BKP Impulse in mine someday. I'm a single pickup kind of dude so this guitar is extra perfect for me. One bridge humbucker and one volume knob is what I will go for, or mod to make happen. That Aristides 060 I'm waiting on has a single hum and single volume layout, for example.

Again you got a sick find, and congrats again too dude!

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Hah, I thought it was Simon posting when I opened the thread and saw the photos! Awesome guitar, love the look of these

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Love the look. And that fretwork looks really good for an Indonesian LTD. Wonder if he also touched it up a bit, or you got a really good one!

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
It holds up well for drop-E. No idea what gauge strings he put on it, but with this set-up it plays like butter. He said he actually really disliked the Black Winter tuned down this low and really liked the pickup he put in. I briefly had the six string FR version and liked the BW as low as drop-C, but I'm sure it handles things a lot differently tuned so low. That being said, so far I like this pickup a lot. However being limited to one pickup I may look at putting a Fishman Modern in for varieties sake and add the volume knob back with push-push.

You'd have to rout out the pickup cavity to fit a Modern, I don't believe they make open-coil versions of that particular pickup. Stellar guitar though!

amadeus

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a taboo subject what string gauges are you using?

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Beastly score. The thing sounds as heavy as it looks! Congrats.

The LTD BM and AM series are stellar guitars. Good looks, great finish, good specs, overall solid work horse instruments. I’ve become such a big fan of single pickup metal axes so these check all the blocks. Good balance of floating vs fixed bridges and shapes too.
HNGD!

sell2792

Reaction score

Latest posts

')