Belated NGD - Matt Heafy Snøfall 6 string

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I actually got this one about a eeek ago but didn't have the time to make an NGD post for it. I bought it as somewhat of a b-stock or floor model and costed about 600 USD (a bit less I think. The problem is that the phenolic fretboard actually turned yellow in some parts due to being exposed to the environment (my guess is that they had a piece of paper with the price covering the middle part of the fretboard and therefore preventing ONLY THAT PART from getting yellow), kinda defeats the purpose of having an all-white guitar I guess. But well, here's my review (I'm kinda new to this so take this as a first attempt). First here are the photos:

PDQhkZY
hLw1F7o
STVIcqd
Sq5FF9x
jnjbdlD
gDXytlC
U0eHbpP
MvakrNC

The guitar itself is pretty heavy, I'm kinda used to light guitars, i would say it's pretty much the same weight as my EC401 (both are mahogany so I'm guessing that's the reason). It's not super resonant, I don't know how many pieces is the body but I'm guessing it's more than 2.

I think Ikebe Gakki gave this a really good setup before shipping it as it was perfect out of the box. Frets are pretty even, the nut has to be one of the best cut nuts I've seen on this range of guitars, relief is pretty spot on. The knobs are OK, I don't usually care a lot of their shape or anything, so far they have been just OK.

I guess everybody knows how EMGs sound, I don't even know the exact model on these ones! But they do the job so I'm fine with them.

The tuners seem to have tool marks, I'm not even sure why. Also, tuning stability is good, given that right now Japan is pretty dang humid, but as soon as I make some mildly extreme bends the thing goes out of tune, I don't know if it could be related with the nut or something.

Neck profile on this one caught my attention immediately. I think it's the slim taper D, however I believe I used to have a SG G400 with the same profile and didn't feel as good to me. However this is kind of spoiled due to the gloss finish on the neck. I'm used to play with satin necks by then again, I'll probably never play this guitar live so I can live with it. Upper fret access is good, not the best but at least is better than my EC401. The fretboard is really smooth, but that's not really useful as I almost never touch it when playing. But it's a nice detail, smoother than my maples (I'm a maple guy).

Aesthetically it's a very pleasing guitar without doubt, even with the yellows stained fretboard (which, by the way, if any fellow member knows how to whiten I'd be grateful for). It plays really good for a medium ish end guitar (lets face it, having Matt Heafys name is what makes this thing more expensive than an average Eppy LP). I'm pleased with my acquisition as a kind of a rarity, maybe because I grew up hating myself for not having enough money to buy a Buckethead signature, but I kinda prefer this one now.

Veredict: if you plan on playing live, maybe this guitar is not the best, super heavy and glossy it will be hard to tame. Unless you are in a trivium cover band I guess. However, if you are a bedroom player or you just want to have a white guitar, it's a good deal if you find one used or B stocked, I wouldn't pay 999 for it though.

Also, sorry for the abuse of parentheses (I guess?)

EDIT: I don't know if the pictures are showing, anyone care tohelp?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have them posted on imgur? They don't allow embedding on this webside, so you'll either need a different image host or just link to the page you have them on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt 8771

Reaction score
I've heard very good things about them. I wonder if you got unlucky or it was because it was a floor model or something. I saw them about a month back and he used both his epi sigs (7 string black, 6 string snofall) for the whole set.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I've heard very good things about them. I wonder if you got unlucky or it was because it was a floor model or something. I saw them about a month back and he used both his epi sigs (7 string black, 6 string snofall) for the whole set.

Actually I think my review is rather positive, the downsides are tuning stability and the yellowness, Matt uses an evertune bridge in his guitar which is different from the production model, I can understand it! Maybe if I changed the tuners /added graphite to the nut, it will improve, but I don't know. In general I'd give this guitar an 8/10 out of personal preference, I'm sure other people could find it higher.

Everyone I’ve played have been amazing guitars for the price. Especially the black models.

Never got the chance to play the black ones, do they come with the heel same way as this one? I don't know how is it called but it's pretty nice. Honestly I feel it's on par with my Ec401, if not slightly better, but this one was actually more expensive since I got my LTD for like 350 USD also b stock. That's why I say I wouldn't buy new. But it's not a bad or mediocre guitar by any means!

I'm still struggling to find a place to upload the pictures guys. Please let me know your suggestions. FWIW, I think it's a beautiful looking guitar...

lewis

Reaction score
Glad the pics are working now.

And WOW thats a beauty dude!. Congrats

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I think it still looks really cool with the imperfect fretboard. Was expecting way worse before actually seeing the pics.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Glad the pics are working now.

And WOW thats a beauty dude!. Congrats

Thanks dude! Sorry for being such a noob

That's pretty! Fretboard is pretty yellow..

I know but at least it doesn't affect playability. Any ideas on how to even out the color? (Probably the most logic one is to wait for it to get all yellow) yellow itself doesn't bother me.

I think it still looks really cool with the imperfect fretboard. Was expecting way worse before actually seeing the pics.

Yeah, it doesn't look bad, I just wish it was even!! But really everything else is really nice to look at and easy to play

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know but at least it doesn't affect playability. Any ideas on how to even out the color? (Probably the most logic one is to wait for it to get all yellow) yellow itself doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't have any ideas, I'm not very knowledgeable in that fretboard material! It doesn't look bad, gives it a kind of vintage/worn in vibe which I dig.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any ideas, I'm not very knowledgeable in that fretboard material! It doesn't look bad, gives it a kind of vintage/worn in vibe which I dig.

Yes I kinda do like the creamy white it's becoming :D I hope it evens out itself!

That looks fantastic!! Epiphone are producing some great guitars at the moment.

They definitely are, I was really torn between this one and Bjorn Gelotte's sig, both awesome guitars IMO.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Nice guitar, happy NGD!

Any idea why he called it Snøfall (Snowfall) in norwegian? I haven't listened to Trivium in a long time, but I don't think they play norwegian style blackmetal or anything near that?
To me it just looks like danish with spelling mistakes (like all written norwegian), it should be 'Snefald' (and yes the 'd' is silent).

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Christ! None more white! I actually like it...nice score. Needs christened though...mojo
..dirt...blood...tobacco etc. ;-)