Belated NGD: Something Old and "Eerie"

• Thread starter groverj3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I always wanted a Jackson in their Eerie Dess Swirl finish, and I saw an old DK2 on Reverb for a reasonable price and jumped at it.

It was looking kind of sad:

Dry fretboard, broken pickup ring, some oxidation on the frets. However, these are a fantastic modding platform. It got the full refurb treatment:

- EMG 81X + 2x SX
- Full solderless wiring
- Relocate volume control to tone position and fill the extra hole
- Metal low profile pickup ring
- Mostly black hardware (some parts are hard to find, but the black + chrome works)
- 1000 series Floyd
- Stainless steel Floyd Rose bolts
- Titanium string lock blocks
- Push-in arm
- Usual fret polish and fretboard cleaning

After:

Plays great! Set it up in D standard and it rips.

Not so great, there were two headstock breaks (the tip and through the lowest string tuner hole). But they appear to be well-repaired so I'm not going to complain too much. However, sometimes when you rescue something old there are surprises.

Some surprises are good though. Basically zero fret wear on this.

My biggest problem: now with 9 guitars I have run out of guitar stand space. I told my wife I'd sell one, but sssshhhhh I don't think I will.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hell yeah, congrats! Such an awesome finish and your thread title delivered lol

sell2792

Reaction score
Can you compare the 81X to a regular 81? If so, how do you like it? Also, sick guitar!

')