Belated NPD: A plethora of pedals

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I never made an npd for either my throne torcher or walrus red, and recently picked up a megalith delta at @USMarine75 's recommendation. The silencer is a backup noise gate so I can be lazy and not have to switch my decimator from amp to amp :lol:
45585379304_8115c91420_c.jpg

32436485168_40022d55d1_c.jpg

Throne Torcher- it's a really great take on the HM2 sound ( I greatly prefer it to my MIT HM2, or my hm300, or the walrus red). The LED clipping option sounds better than to my ears than the hm2. It's clearer but still chainsawy. I got the older version with the burning church graphic/ glow in the dark eyes. It really doesn't need an introduction round these parts :lol:
Walrus Red- It's a really weird dirt pedal. It can run the gamut from OD levels of gain to nasty fuzz and even HM2 territory. I really don't like it as an HM2 type pedal but it's fun to mess around with for other sounds :shrug:
Megalith Delta- This is a pretty awesome distortion. It has a ton of range, running the gamut from scooped 90s esque tones, cutting modern metal all the way too insane doomy fuzz. The sweet spot for me was almost like a boosted recto esque sound which I got from the settings in the pic of the delta up above. Here's the marketing spiel explaining all the feature better than I can:
Gain Control: The Megalith Delta starts in mid-gain territory. THIS IS A HIGH GAIN PEDAL! BACK AWAY NOW IF YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR THE VINTAGE BLUES TONES! The GAIN control offers a wide sweep in gain, from solid rock tones, to serious crunch, to every dark shade of brutal imaginable.

The stock, un-boosted tone is very fat in the low mids and is the Megalith’s thickest tone. This is a great mode for getting the punchiest rhythm sounds.

The GAIN control has a responsive interaction with each of the three EQ options (EQ SWITCH, CONTOUR, and THREE BAND EQ), allowing you to dial in, for example a slightly woolly tone at minimum gain, or flat-out brutality at maximum.

Gain Boost: The second footswitch of the pedal, BOOST, takes the pedal from a mid-gain base to its highest gain. This footswitch is equivalent to flicking over to the HIGH GAIN setting on the Megalith Beta amplifier. This BOOST mode not only adds more gain, but also tightens the response up considerably, with more of an upper mid emphasis.I thought by adding this gain boost as a foot switch, it gives you the option to really step up the crazy. I also figured that mid to high switching was a lot more useful than low to high, as there are already plenty of great options out there for the lower gain sounds. Let’s face it – someone interested in the Megalith Delta isn’t going to be too stressed about missing the low gain mode!

Contour Control: The CONTOUR control is another unique feature of the Megalith design. In the Megalith Beta amplifier; it affects the frequency response of the phase inverter in the power amp. I went to a lot of effort to recreate the CONTOUR control in the Megalith Delta pedal to mimic this response by designing a phase-inverter like stage, and integrating the CONTOUR control into it.Fully clock-wise, it’s fat and midrangy, with a slightly rolled off top end. As the CONTOUR control is turned down, the mids start to scoop out, and the sub-bass frequencies tighten up. This is a great control for further refinement of the overall high gain tone. You can also think of this as an alternate midrange control. Try running the MID EQ control high and the CONTOUR low (also adjusting the EQ shift), and visa versa for a huge range of tones.

Three Band EQ (Bass, Middle, Treble): The combinations of the EQ section will give an impressive number of high gain sounds, just like the Megalith Beta amplifier. The first thing to note about the three-band EQ on the Megalith Delta is that each control has a wider sweep than your typical tone stack. Small changes to these controls can have a large impact on the tone. They are also highly interactive. That is why I recommend using this feature to fine-tune your overall sound. Refer to “How To Dial In Your Sound” in the manual.

EQ Shift Switch: The EQ Shift is a unique feature of the Megalith’s tone controls. This switch shifts the EQ’s bands, allowing you to control different frequencies. Each position has a particular signature tone, and is useful for different things. The middle position “0” shifts the midrange up, and adds quite a bit of low-mids to the sound. This is great for really fattening up the tone, and works particularly well with boost pedals. Position “1” voices the tone stack closer to a traditional British voicing. There’s still a good amount of midrange in the tone, but the tone is more balanced. Position “2” is more of a traditional American voicing, with a more scooped and shifted midrange.

Output (Volume) Section: A big part of the Megalith Beta amplifier’s huge gain sound is the 160 Watts of headroom! Of course, this would always be the limitation in trying to emulate a high gain amplifier to stomp box form. But by adding voltage doubling circuitry in the Megalith Delta pedal, it allows the 9V supplied by battery, or DC adaptor, to be increased to 18V within the pedal’s circuitry. This has the advantage of producing the crushing low end without mush, much like the 160W output of the Megalith Beta does at the amp level.

EHX Silencer
- It's a cheap noise gate but it works well. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is hide the nasty feedback and ambient noise when I'm not playing.

I'll have more clips up later. The throne torcher and red clips were done with my dc600 into my mesa mk3, the delta clips were with my prs mushok into my peters fsm. All clips are through the front of the amp because I'm too lazy to hook them into the fx loop :lol:

Red/ Throne Torcher sound clips (Throne Torcher is first, then Red in all the clips):
dimed/random knob fiddling clip:
https://app.box.com/s/s6alz0zrpilkgvpzxvmqjy3wdedowprv
b/m/t set at 2'o clock, only playing with vol/distortion levels on throne torcher/red.
https://app.box.com/s/hubn5om9q9ovbf1p9qa1klv2z098ww18

Megalith Delta clips:
random tweaking with the delta (messing with the contour/eq shift/gain structure mostly)
https://app.box.com/s/l1eqgalgemuo56a9kla9l1aqvznr3hzy
random br00tz
https://app.box.com/s/ffeht9uw9kweidpp8w20ae9vv1dmwmun

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Nice!
Have you tried the Megalith Delta straight into the effects loop? Is it worse or better that way?
Possible clips? :)

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Nice!
Have you tried the Megalith Delta straight into the effects loop? Is it worse or better that way?
I'll try it in the fx loop tomorrow. I'll post up clips if it sounds way better than in front of the amp.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Man, great set. I dig my throne torcher, after discovering my power supply wasn't delivering it correct power.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice!

I've run it both ways and thought it sounded great either way... I will say into the FX return way sounded "better" purely because it was through a 100w power amp into a 212, vs into the input of a 112 45w Fender style.

Side note... if it is the v2 version you can use a TR cable from the output to get 412 cab sim on the ring side.

Products2163-371x350-264670.jpg

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I made some extra clips through the FSM's fx loop. Definitely sounds way better imo, you get more of the feel of the delta's sound. It's very modern sounding and cutting with the built in boost on.
The first clip uses the same settings as the previous clips, just some occasional fiddling with volume/gain and the eq shift.
https://app.box.com/s/dylkompzk3cb4e9dlhi97bq5axmmpx4b
The second clip I started messing with the contour knob, eq shift, and the 3 band eq a bit before settling on basically the same settings as the other clips.
https://app.box.com/s/g1baysl1lsa6r8llk3c3i8ynt4lmmwq5
The 3rd clip I switched guitars to my dc600 with the holy diver bridge just to see if it's just as br00tal in standard. it is.
https://app.box.com/s/1l17lcfz8d60f3tz3g5rq82kvqqxyfz2

Bearitone

Reaction score
Really dope clips! Thanks for taking the time!

Do you feel like you still need a boost/of in front or naw?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I never used a boost with it other than the built in one, and I just like using that for an extra bit of aggression/high end kerrang sometimes. It can definitely get savage tight tones without the boost, but it's at its most modern with the boost engaged imo.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Really dope clips! Thanks for taking the time!

I never used a boost with it other than the built in one, and I just like using that for an extra bit of aggression/high end kerrang sometimes. It can definitely get savage tight tones without the boost, but it's at its most modern with the boost engaged imo.

Yeah if it's the Megalith we are talking about... the boost is specifically designed for modern tight rhythm playing (pre-drive boost) with a slight typical bell curve EQ to boost mids and roll off low end. (For leads, you probably want it off so the tone is more open, less compressed, and more dynamic... and if you wanted to add a boost ideally it would be after the drive for a gain boost only.)

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Is there much of a difference between the V1 and V2 of the Megalith Delta?

It seems like most of the ones available are V1 and it's hard to figure out which a particular pedal is.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Got my Megalith Delta and figured there was no need to start a new thread for my thoughts. It seems that it's basically as advertised, a hi gain distortion pedal. I'm running it straight into my Rocktron Velocity 120 and then into my Vader 212.

Comparing it to my Tight Metal Pro and it doesn't quite stack up based on what I've heard so far. It has more versatility to its EQ and overall sound, but the EQ shift doesn't have a huge effect on the tone. The contour control is a good idea, but it's basically useless past 12 o'clock and turns the pedal into a hi mid mess.

The boost again seems like it was a good concept that was poorly executed. The boost on the TMP functions almost identically to a standard ts style OD in front of an amp. The effect of the boost on the Delta is much more subtle. It definitely adds a bit more saturation and tightens up the tone, but it doesn't serve as a replacement for a proper boost into the front. With the boost switch off or engaged and no OD in front, this pedal like other preamp pedals I've tested has a flub and looseness to the low end that is nearly impossible to dial out. You can cut a ton of bass, but that leaves the sound feeling a bit empty. For me, a boost is necessary to get the Delta sounding how I want it to.

I think the TMP produces the tone I'm looking more for more, and it also does so without needing an external boost or noise gate. The Delta no doubt sounds great, especially when boosted, I just have to give a slight edge to the Amptweaker.

')