Believe the Deceiver (AZ Progressive Deathcore)

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to post so I apologize if it isn't. My band Believe the Deceiver is releasing our EP "Illusions" on march 14th and I would love some feedback!

We cover just about every genre of metal. Check us out if you like bands such as Ion Dissonance, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, Between the Buried and Me, Car Bomb or Veil of Maya. Our new material will be on 8 strings and will be a lot more progressive. Thanks! :agreed:

Believe the Deceiver - "Illusions" Album Sampler - YouTube

https://www.facebook.com/BelievetheDeceiver

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Get a new vocalist.

Got some heavy riffs, was waiting to hear something progressive though.

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
Our vocalist is really more of a death metal vocalist. His lows are meant to sound along the lines of bands like fleshgod apacolypse. Honestly theres not too many progressive elements on this EP but our new material definately will have more. The only thing you can hear in the sampler that's considered progressive would be the occasional odd time signature and a polymeter where the drums are playing dotted notes at the same time.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
Not bad, but the vocals need work.
The lows aren't really articulated well
They just sound weak. Could be production causing some of it.

Then I again, that may be the sound you're going for. Got any shows coming up?

aturaya

Reaction score
Not bad, but the vocals need work.
The lows aren't really articulated well
They just sound weak. Could be production causing some of it.

Then I again, that may be the sound you're going for. Got any shows coming up?

We're opening for Suffocation on 4/7/2013. Also, yes. Our name is very very generic.

8last

Reaction score
I dont know. I thought the vocalist fit in just fine. The only thing I found lacking was everything was very mid tempo, there wasn't much in the way of slams and blasts and way slow breakdowns but that's just my personal preference.

aturaya

Reaction score
That's weird, I guess we only picked parts like that for this sampler. There's plenty of blast beats and a couple slam-ish parts.

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. All feedback is appreciated whether it's good or bad. Our vocalist recently learned fry screams and there's a few of them on the album. Our new material will most likely use primarily fries and the current false chord highs. In addition to the Suffocation/Rings of Saturn show on April 17th, We are playing a cd release show at the underground in Mesa March 14th.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
You guys are taking this "bashing" quite well lol.

Good luck with that Sick Show, I will defiantly check out your album for the heavy riffs and because you guys have awesome attitudes.

TheBotquax

Reaction score
Holy generic name.

It's a part of the application process to be in a Heavy® band.
All "insert legitimate genre -core" bands must use the template "Verb the Noun".
All "Djent/Progresive" bands must use the template "Plural Noun"

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Not bad. The vocals are okay, but not great. I'm sure he'll get better with time. I'm not a big fan of the logo, though.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Make him hardcore shout or something.

Admirable set of influences. Try out some augmented chords and different chord voicings Like VoM or Haunted Shores. The best math/prog/core bands will have all sorts of techniques and song structure tricks at their disposal in addition to chuggahs and 0-0-000-00-0. That's why bands like The Schoenburg Automaton, Corelia, Chon and The Kymatica are so fucking neato.

The snippet at around 1:34 features a little bit of what I'm talking about

I agree with the name, logo and art direction needing work too.

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
Not bad. The vocals are okay, but not great. I'm sure he'll get better with time. I'm not a big fan of the logo, though.

I made the logo and artwork myself and I had no experience with any photo editing software until it was time to make the art lol. I wouldn't say i'm very artistic either so I guess I'm proud of how it turned out based on those two things but I definitely wasn't expecting people to love it. We will most likely pay someone for better artwork for future albums when we have money :hbang:

BTD_Austin

Reaction score
I also tried to do something unique with the band logo other than your typical deathcore bloodsplat font. Every letter is some kind of impossible shape or illusion so its "deceiving" heh :lame:

')