Ben affleck is the new batman

• Thread starter straymond
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Everyone keeps bringing this up and I would just like to point out Ben Affleck has never put in a performance like Heath Ledger did in Brokeback Mountain.
People might not have had faith in Heath but that was due to the fact he had never taken on a role like the Joker before, not because he was a bad actor.

This... I never saw Brokeback Mountain, but Affleck has never played one single role where I thought... "Damn... This guy is an awesome actor!" He always strikes me as about a half step above an extra... :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
D5C41695-B99A-4EEF-9A8E-C51D0B8DADA4-3288-000002DCA5C064AA_zps498a8bf8.jpg

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I watched that movie "The Town" which Affleck starred in/directed and I thought it was a really good movie. I don't get why there's all this big WTF about him. He's not bad by any means, not the greatest but still, it could've been way worse. I'm kind of upset they didn't cast Joesph Gordon Levitt. Wasn't the last Batman movie basically setting him up to be the next in line sorta?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Folks need to sit back, take a deep breath, and realize that the Nolan/Bale Batman days are over. The trilogy has been completed, and any future Batman franchises are not going to be cannon with it. Just like the previous four films had nothing to do with the Nolan trilogy, or I vice versa.

This next Batman is going to be all new, and from the sounds of it, it's just going to be a small part in the current iteration of Superman.

In ten years from now, we'll be discussing the same thing. :lol:

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I watched that movie "The Town" which Affleck starred in/directed and I thought it was a really good movie. I don't get why there's all this big WTF about him. He's not bad by any means, not the greatest but still, it could've been way worse. I'm kind of upset they didn't cast Joesph Gordon Levitt. Wasn't the last Batman movie basically setting him up to be the next in line sorta?

thought they were setting him up to be robin...

139650-450x-e_28.jpg

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
thought they were setting him up to be robin...
Yeah I know they revealed him to be Robin at the end of the movie but I thought they also set it up to where he would then fall into the Batman role since Bruce Wayne went off with what's her face at the end of the movie and was presumed dead. I also understand that that movie was the end of the Nolan trilogy too so it wasn't really going to spill over into whoever directed the next one. But I like Joseph Gordon Levitt and thought it would've been cool to see him get the gig.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It's funny how people tend to forget things over time. Leading into Tim Burton's Batman, Michael Keaton was primarily a comedy actor (Beetlejuice, gung-Ho, Night Shift, etc... So what do you think everyone's reaction was when they found out a 'funny guy' actor was going to don the cowl of the "dark & brooding" Batman ? Although there was no internet, a lot of articles didn't have a very positive outlook.

Also, when it was announced JJ Abrams was going to take over the Star Trek franchise, the doubters were in the majority.

I tend to agree with Kevin Smith in that Ben's been a fan of the comics for years and after a test run with Daredevil, he's totally prepared to take on the Batman role. Also, I don't think he can do any worse than that silly-ass 'gruff voice' that Bale used.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Can I ask why?

He just wasn't the Joker. He was something--it wasn't the Joker, but it was definitely something, and it wasn't special. He didn't embody the characteristics Joker has always been depicted with. Honestly, I doubt the role would have been praised and renowned the way it has if Ledger hadn't died.

TheDeathOfMusic

Reaction score
1. He just wasn't the Joker. He was something--it wasn't the Joker, but it was definitely something, and it wasn't special. He didn't embody the characteristics Joker has always been depicted with.

2. Honestly, I doubt the role would have been praised and renowned the way it has if Ledger hadn't died.

Divided your post into 2 clear points so I could address both directly.

1. That was kind of the point. Nolan's films were supposed to be a departure, a more realistic and gritty series of films. Heath was never going to do a Jack Nicholson performance, as he said himself.

2. No. This is true in some cases, but not hear. I still watch that film all the time, and even though Heath is only onscreen for 40 minutes he dominates Christian Bale- who happens to be a favourite of mine, just to prove I'm not biased.

To be honest I think you would appreciate the performance more if you looked at it as a whole different character- stop comparing it to the old Joker, and just absorb Heath's acting. He killed it.
/rant

Spinedriver

Reaction score
To be honest I think you would appreciate the performance more if you looked at it as a whole different character- stop comparing it to the old Joker, and just absorb Heath's acting. He killed it.
/rant

That's the thing, many people also love the Mark Hamill version of the Joker from the Batman:The Animated Series. It's just as hard to compare actor portrayals as it is to compare writers' versions. The Joker as written by Bob Kane has NOTHING in common with the one Alan Moore wrote in The Killing Joke except for name and appearance. The early Joker was a "kooky" villain whereas Moore's Joker was cruel & sadistic.

I think that as long as the actor captures some part of the character that fans can identify with, it'll be ok. If the Adam West version of Batman were to have come out now (instead of back in the 60's), there would be WAY more outrage than there is over Affleck being cast. It's also going to depend a LOT who is going to write and/or direct the movie.

Time will tell...

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I typed this long post about how odd it is that we're arguing about something like we've already seen the film. I scrapped it because I didn't want to deal with the ensuing argument about opinions, subjectivity, and my lack of a golden rep bar.

In summation: We're all talking out of our asses, here. We can give opinions about what we think will happen, but I think it would be more prudent to see how Affleck does and then decide whether or not he wore the cowl well, not that most do, I suppose.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
...Also, I don't think he can do any worse than that silly-ass 'gruff voice' that Bale used.

ok, lets address the "gruff voice" thing that was mentioned several times...

no one in the films should have had to elude to it, its common sense that batmans identity was unknown. had he used his "normal" voice as he did when speaking as batman, those who had contacts with both of his identities would have put two and two together that it was bruce waynes voice.

yes the voice sounded forced, but it was to throw ppl off as to who he really was. unlike superman movies where ppl could tell who he was just because he wore glasses when he was clark kent :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
ok, lets address the "gruff voice" thing that was mentioned several times...

no one in the films should have had to elude to it, its common sense that batmans identity was unknown. had he used his "normal" voice as he did when speaking as batman, those who had contacts with both of his identities would have put two and two together that it was bruce waynes voice.

yes the voice sounded forced, but it was to throw ppl off as to who he really was. unlike superman movies where ppl could tell who he was just because he wore glasses when he was clark kent :lol:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Divided your post into 2 clear points so I could address both directly.

1. That was kind of the point. Nolan's films were supposed to be a departure, a more realistic and gritty series of films. Heath was never going to do a Jack Nicholson performance, as he said himself.

2. No. This is true in some cases, but not hear. I still watch that film all the time, and even though Heath is only onscreen for 40 minutes he dominates Christian Bale- who happens to be a favourite of mine, just to prove I'm not biased.

/rant

Disagree on all points, as I showed in my initial comment. The Joker is the Joker. If I wanted a different character, I'd watch a different movie with a different villain. And I think Bale was just as disappointing as Ledger. For some reason he thought the Batman should have a permanent case of strep throat, a decision which made him one of the most annoying characters I've ever watched on screen. He was a spectacle, something which Batman should not be. There are other reasons I greatly disliked Bale's performances in the series, but I'll stop here because I don't want to turn this into a debate, because debating opinions is pretty useless.

Your opinion is yours, mine is mine. Let's keep it that way, because while I did decide to answer your question, you won't change my thoughts on anything. Let's just agree to disagree.

')