Benefits of Fourths Tuning

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Title really says it all. After watching Tom Quayle play, it got me curious as to how this tuning could be beneficial.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Its quite obvious why it is beneficial. Its just really difficult to get used to when you have been playing for ages.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I don't want to change. Plus, you can kiss goodbye all the covers you've ever learned. Personally, I think it would be cool if you were just learning to just start that way, but oh well. Little late for me!

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I don't want to change. Plus, you can kiss goodbye all the covers you've ever learned. Personally, I think it would be cool if you were just learning to just start that way, but oh well. Little late for me!

I switched after only a few months :fawk:
It's really good, I hated the inconsistency of standard. I do still know some of the basic chords in standard as all fourths makes six+ string chords a little harder. I'm trying to increase my chord chops at the moment though, as it makes single line melodies a push-over (comparatively).

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of fourths, but given it took me so long to get used to that pesky maj3rd, I don't think I'd really gain much by switching.

The main thing I can see it being beneficial is exploring harmony if you're into jazz guitar, as it'll drastically cut down the number of fingerings you need to learn for identical voicings.

Other than that, it's really good for touch-playing, if you're into that, as you can practice piano-style things like scales in octaves with identical fingerings for each hand.

BTW...just listened to Tom Quayle for the first time after reading this thread. Excellent stuff.:yesway:

Black_tear

Reaction score
Tom Quayle is awesome. I was listening to Guthrie Govan some years ago when i found Tom.Amazing fusion player, great improvisation skills!
...and lovely suhr guitar:agreed:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's a bunch of all-4ths folks here. If Durero doesn't drop-in a reply, send him a PM.

Ray

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
i'm interested in the "benefits" too. i don't like to admit, but i don't really know my scales or modes, etc. i am just starting to really learn them all. and i never really understood standard tuning honestly. should i just try perfect fourths since i'm basically learning from scratch? so far, it seems easier to me.

Xodus

Reaction score
Coming from playing a bass I find it a lot easier to do arpeggios and scales in full fourths. The only disadvantage I can think of would be the inability to do barre chords. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on hugely with shredders.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I find all-4ths much more logical for the way I approach things, and I switched after playing for many years in standard. I can't remember exactly when but at the time I didn't know of anyone else doing it (except bass players). I can still play in standard but fourths is less restrictive for my creativity. Certain chords can be a little more difficult, but others less so :shrug:

')