Benson Picking

• Thread starter FWB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FWB

Reaction score
Has anyone messed around with this? It's like holding the pick with the "OK" gesture, and inverting the thumb joint. It reverses the angle of the pick with relation to the standard style of holding a pick, with the pad of the thumb and side of the index finger.

The Tuck and Patti article, which I'm sure many here have seen, claims it allows easier use of oscillation when picking from the wrists, and can be sped up to 20 NPS with minimal tension. I think it does help a little with tremolo picking like this, but whenever I change strings, it seems to immediately get caught on a string and stop. Not cool.

Shawn Lane apparently picks like this, and he didn't seem to have any trouble :spock:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I can't do it - SO very uncomfortable as the flexibility of my thumb simply does not allow me to position the pick appropriately. I wish I could but hey, there are plenty of other rapid pickers who don't pick that way so there's hope yet I guess :)

Keytarist

Reaction score
I have read it on the Tuck and Patti site, but I can't get it. Would you like to explain it easily?. I wish that I could see a picture or video.
Seems very interesting, it is new for me.

FWB

Reaction score
I have read it on the Tuck and Patti site, but I can't get it. Would you like to explain it easily?. I wish that I could see a picture or video.
Seems very interesting, it is new for me.

The best description I can think of is to keep your fingers like this picture, except you invert the first knuckle joint so that is points toward the palm, instead of away from the palm. This should reverse the angle of the pick with respect to the standard way of holding a pick.

istockphoto_5192410-ok-gesture.jpg

splinter8451

Reaction score
Man I tried picking like that for a few minutes and it did feel good on the strings but it killed my thumb :noplease:

I think Ill stick to the way I normally pick :lol:

Keytarist

Reaction score
I have a problem with this. My pick slips so easily!. Do you know what I'm doing wrong?. Picking feels better, and smoother than standard picking, but playing normally I have much more grip.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps if I had leaned this 6 or 7 years prior it would be worth the learning curve. It's certainly interesting, and I can see how it's mastery would be great, but it's too late for me to relearn how to pick.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Perhaps if I had leaned this 6 or 7 years prior it would be worth the learning curve. It's certainly interesting, and I can see how it's mastery would be great, but it's too late for me to relearn how to pick.

Totally. I got waaaay too many other things I royally suck at to start relearning my picking style. :lol:

includao

Banned
Reaction score
i have normal thumbs and i can do the same benson picking technique without any undue tension.

the problem is not with the THUMB. the pick position changes the ATTACK ANGLE. the attack angle make you concentrate yourself from movements of the wrist

Keytarist

Reaction score
How do you manage to keep the pick without it sliping?. That was the first issue I had with this technique after reading this thread.
And, for the players that already achieved this technique, does it really let you play faster and better?.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´m trying to change the way i pick, and the way i hold the actual pick. not comfortable! :lol:

i´ve been using the "pinch" grip on the pick, and picking flat onto the strings. i´m trying to change my grip and picking style so it´s at an angle, so i can go through the strings easier and with less resistance. my hand wants to hold the pick in the way i´ve done it from the beginning, but i´m trying to override it. not easy.

this pick holding style looks painful though. i´ve got some weird tremolo picking techniques that just sorta resulted from me not being very good. Dendroaspis said i tremolo pick almost like marty friedman, but not exactly the same. i had to check it on youtube, and indeed it´s kinda similar :D

it´s hard to explain, and i´ll have to show it in a vid sometime...

etiam

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether the grip itself or the angle of the pick attack is the more important variable here. Since it seems that a number of the guys given as examples are double-jointed--and since guys like Paul Gilbert can shred all day long with a relatively normal grip (albeit, once again, at an angle)--the grip is not quite as important as the attack angle.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether the grip itself or the angle of the pick attack is the more important variable here. Since it seems that a number of the guys given as examples are double-jointed--and since guys like Paul Gilbert can shred all day long with a relatively normal grip (albeit, once again, at an angle)--the grip is not quite as important as the attack angle.

According to Gilbert, he used to pick this way, and loved it, he only moved to his current way after going to GIT. The few players I've seen using this get great clarity and speed, they also seem to "naturally gravitate" toward it. I also found that alot of female players gravitate toward this picking style (more efficient use of lesser muscle mass ????). I used this for a bit, it's awesome, but I worried about the longevity of my thumb joint, so I stopped.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
This is how I've always picked. Glad someone else approves haha. It helps that I have double jointed thumbs that can bend back farther than forward.
Someone mentioned the pick getting caught on strings when trying to play like this. That's what happens to me when I try to pick "normally".

')