Berklee Summer Performance Program 2013

• Thread starter Rocky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Fill
Reaction score
Hey guys, is anyone else thinking of going there? It's apparently really expensive but you're able to audition for a scholarship.
Have a listen to one of the 3 videos I'll be submitting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
Are you going for the Tosin Abasi look with random scarfs and random articles of clothing? ;) Haha jk. Good luck getting the scholarship!

Overtone

Reaction score
I dunno if it's full up yet but Freak Guitar Camp is an awesome option as well. If I could find a decent flight I'd be in for that this year!

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Hey guys, is anyone else thinking of going there? It's apparently really expensive but you're able to audition for a scholarship.
Have a listen to one of the 3 videos I'll be submitting!

Constructive criticism:

You are REALLY, REALLY rushing throughout pretty much all the whole thing.

You need to work with a metronome and think of it like a drummer - Look up Victor Wooten videos on groove and pocket.

Your playing isn't that clean either, but I'm sure you're very aware of that. The above is more important.

Rocky

Fill
Reaction score
Constructive criticism:

You are REALLY, REALLY rushing throughout pretty much all the whole thing.

You need to work with a metronome and think of it like a drummer - Look up Victor Wooten videos on groove and pocket.

Your playing isn't that clean either, but I'm sure you're very aware of that. The above is more important.

Thanks for the constructive criticism! Although I can't tell if you're serious or not because I felt like my take was quite proficient, although you seem to think otherwise. Perhaps you must have very high standards. I have seen those Wooten videos on youtube and love them. What you're describing- even Tosin himself cannot pull that off live. And of course, you can always play cleaner, faster and better. Comments like yours drive me to do so. Much appreciated :)

Osorio

Reaction score
One more opinion, to clarify:
Trespass is quite correct, you are rushing A LOT on the AAL piece. Personally, I don't believe it is a question of standards; the music exists, you can either play it as it was written/recorded, or you can re-interpret it to suite your style and/or skills. You didn't really do either. You rushed it.
I second the (constant) use of a metronome and a more critical listen of your recordings if you believe you are not blazing through the lines way too fast. At least on this song.

Not that it is an easy piece, but since you decided to play it, there you have it.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
rocky great playing!!! there's no doubt that you have solid chops, but
the guys are right. i don't know a whole lot about berklee, and maybe
if we're lucky --chris lechtford will chime in on the audition process.

-but-

if you're going to use an existing piece as part of your repertoire, either
strive to nail it as dead on as you can, barring any gear limitations, or
as was mentioned earlier, interpret the piece as your own whilst highlighting
your particular strengths. i'm currently working on my audition material for
entry into the usf jazz program and their criteria seems pretty strict.

i'm guessing there's some very stiff competition vying for the free ride to
berklee, so it's in your best interest to really shine through. that said man,
you have my support. but, you really need to clean up that AAL piece if you're
going to use it. IMO, i like your original piece better. it seems like a much better
platform to really show what you've got. :2c:

best of luck :yesway:

Rocky

Fill
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me where exactly you think I rushed a lot?

I watched Tosin's performance of it:

How would you describe that?

Overtone

Reaction score
That run at 1:52/3 seems to come in early compared to what I remember... in the main theme you are playing the part pretty fast and by the time you get to the tapping fill the timing just isn't synched up. So I agree that while that isn't an easy song and you're doing a pretty good job it still needs work when it comes to the feel of the timing.

I definitely preferred the second vid just on account of originality.

The admission standards of Berklee are not high at all but if you want the scholarships I think that is a different story.

Rocky

Fill
Reaction score
I am always open to criticism but for some reason I just don't seem to agree with you haha...Not that I think it is PERFECT but I don't see where I am rushing so much the way you think I am. Everybody else who I've shown and on the internet don't mention anything about my timing whatsoever. I still thank you for your feedback.

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
I am always open to criticism but for some reason I just don't seem to agree with you haha...Not that I think it is PERFECT but I don't see where I am rushing so much the way you think I am. Everybody else who I've shown and on the internet don't mention anything about my timing whatsoever. I still thank you for your feedback.

While its not the entire song, you do rush or are just out of time with the original song. It's obvious at the beginning, and at 1:52 you aren't playing what's written, or it doesn't sound like it anyway.

You're still better than me, however.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score

Probably because they suck.

Yeah, caustic, but there if there is one thing that really defines a professional musician from an amateur, it's time. And believe it or not, most non-professional musicians are not able to discern good time from bad.

But ask any professional bass player or drummer their honest opinion, and they are straight up going to tell you that your time is really inconsistent, is usually crazy rushing, and is rhythmically not very clean at parts as well.
To put it into perspective: You have probably never met someone with amazing time.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Can you guys tell me where exactly you think I rushed a lot?

I watched Tosin's performance of it:

How would you describe that?

He's playing (mostly) consistently ahead of the beat. He is totally rushing on some of those large sweeps and taps, but it's not anywhere close to as bad as you.
His time more like an even line with blips in it, while your time is really wavy and out of control.

Don't model your time-feel after Tosin. Tosin's time isn't that great.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
I agree with the timing problems, I generally have timing problems on guitar too since I don't put much effort in practicing with a metronome on guitar (it's more of a hobby for me anyway). But when I practice for serious things like maybe I'm playing a solo piece with the local philharmonic, then I'll practice the hell out of a song with the metronome to make sure I have it down in time.

If you're actually open to criticism and if you really want to pursue more musical knowledge then I truly recommend listening to us and practicing with a metronome. Even if you weren't out of time in this particular instance it is one of many good habits that you should try and pick up. I use to let me ego get in the way of criticism and practicing habits and I would just sort of coast through gigs and philharmonic shows but I regret that laziness and that ego nowadays =/

Rocky

Fill
Reaction score
I completely agree with you! I do practice with a metronome everyday, and I too hate egoistic people and I've met many players who are like that. I will keep that in mind for sure.

')