Best 15 Watt Practice Amp?

• Thread starter Werwolf999
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
What's a good 15 watt practice amp for under $400? I'm looking for something that will sound good for slow/doom metal type stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a peavey audition 20 that is decent when running a pedal.

groph

Reaction score
Roland Cube 15. You could probably get the Cube 30 for that price too, it's got some more features. They don't have effects loops though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Peavey rage 158 - $60 used.

don't expect live rig tones out of a practise amp :)

that said, i just turn my halfstack down.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
I use Fender G-DEC. Excellent practice tool with tons of features for the money. It doesn't get the extended low end of a 7-string very well, though.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Peavey rage 158 - $60 used.

don't expect live rig tones out of a practise amp :)

that said, i just turn my halfstack down.

Lol, if I could afford a half stack I'd get one, but, as it is, I can't atm.

Just need something that will sound alright at bedroom levels.

B-52 make good amps?

Reaction score
Lol, if I could afford a half stack I'd get one, but, as it is, I can't atm.

Just need something that will sound alright at bedroom levels.

B-52 make good amps?

I had a B-52 AT100 2x12 combo, and it was decent. Two distortion channels plus a clean channel, came with a footswitch. It was $500 new from Guitar Center when I got it, but I ended up returning it. The distortion wasn't cutting it for me, but I imagine it'd be all right with a good OD pedal. I ended up going with the H&K Switchblade 100, which kills.

I have a Roland CUBE-30, only cost $150 and is a pretty decent practice amp, even gets up to levels that would be adequate for practicing with a band. It's a solid state modeling amp, and it has a recto setting that's pretty good, along with some other nice features.

If I were you, though, I'd just get a TonePort and some decent monitors for bedroom practice. That'd cost you well under $400. Plus the TonePort comes with the POD Farm plugin, which is awesome. Run it through some recording software with impulses. Spend the extra money you'll save on the Metal Shop pack from Line 6, and still have enough left to go out for a nice dinner.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
I had a B-52 AT100 2x12 combo, and it was decent. Two distortion channels plus a clean channel, came with a footswitch. It was $500 new from Guitar Center when I got it, but I ended up returning it. The distortion was cutting it for me, but I imagine it'd be all right with a good OD pedal. I ended up going with the H&K Switchblade 100, which kills.

I have a Roland CUBE-30, only cost $150 and is a pretty decent practice amp, even gets up to levels that would be adequate for practicing with a band. It's a solid state modeling amp, and it has a recto setting that's pretty good, along with some other nice features.

If I were you, though, I'd just get a TonePort and some decent monitors for bedroom practice. That'd cost you well under $400. Plus the TonePort comes with the POD Farm plugin, which is awesome. Run it through some recording software with impulses. Spend the extra money you'll save on the Metal Shop pack from Line 6, and still have enough left to go out for a nice dinner.

I have Guitar Port atm and am pretty disappointed with it tbh. I dialed in a "decent" tone but it's not really that great.

Got a Presonus Auidobox that was bundled w/ Cubsae LE 4 last week so I'm just getting used to that now.

Anyone have any experience w/ Rocktron? They seem to be reasonably priced.

Randall seems to have some decent practice amps as well. Can anyone comment on those?

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
For high gain sounds at bedroom volumes I can definitely recommend the Line 6 Spider 15. Ive been using the 30W version for 3 years and its the perfect practise amp for me. My bandmate also recently bought the 15W version for teaching and he says its the best practise amp he's ever used!! :D

hellion

OMFGWTFBBQ?
Reaction score
I have Guitar Port atm and am pretty disappointed with it tbh. I dialed in a "decent" tone but it's not really that great.

Got a Presonus Auidobox that was bundled w/ Cubsae LE 4 last week so I'm just getting used to that now.

Anyone have any experience w/ Rocktron? They seem to be reasonably priced.

Randall seems to have some decent practice amps as well. Can anyone comment on those?

I don't know abuot the newer stuff but the old Rocktron gear is awesome.

Joel

Reaction score
I know its not 15w but a Blackstar Ht-5 is a great little amp.
If you really want 15w, then maybe a roland cube.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Vox Valvetronix 15. I made a thread like this a while ago and didnt listen to any of these guys :lol: and got myself one of these. It has an amazing lead tone for what it is. If your good at tweaking it can have a great rythme tone as well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
actually, for $400 get a used boss GT-8 or line 6 POD XT/XT-Live and a good pair of quality headphones, both used.

then you'll get all sorts of great tones :yesway:

groph

Reaction score
actually, for $400 get a used boss GT-8 or line 6 POD XT/XT-Live and a good pair of quality headphones, both used.

then you'll get all sorts of great tones :yesway:

That ain't a bad idea either. Just stay away from Pocket PODS. You'll think they're the coolest thing on the planet when you first take them home but then you'll realize the tone is so artificial sounding and terrible, you'll want to stop playing guitar.

Anyone wanna buy a Pocket POD?

')