Best 7 for around $500

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
So after being a member of this page for so long and been gassing for a 7 string, im going to start looking for my first 7 and would like to keep it around 500. I wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Only things im really looking for would be no baseball necks lol, H-H set up, and preferably fixed bridge, unless its a good trem. A local guitar store has a new RG 1527 in Cosmic Blue, that i want soo bad but its quite out of my price range. I did play a JP70 at GC and I liked it so im considering that one as one of my candidates, even tho its 550 for the flat black finish. Im just a bed room player so don't really need anything too fancy, and i do not mind buying used, Cheers :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stevexc

Reaction score
If you can't find a 7621, you can also keep your eye out for 400+ level ESP LTDs (M-417, H-1007) and Schecters (Hellraiser C7, SLS C7). Don't let people fool you, the Schecter neck profile is nowhere NEAR "baseball bat" thickness.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^depends on the model. The damien 7 I bought in 06 could definitely knock some homers out of the park.

stevexc

Reaction score
Yeah, fair enough... I was more referring to the more midrange and higher ones, haha. I've played a chunky Demon here and there too, but the Hellraisers are another story.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in the '99-'01 Jackson DR7. Japanese, good hardware, available cheap ($350 or so) on the used market and they've aged very well. The pickups are crap, but that's easy to fix since they're passive-sized.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
I'm going to throw in the '99-'01 Jackson DR7. Japanese, good hardware, available cheap ($350 or so) on the used market and they've aged very well. The pickups are crap, but that's easy to fix since they're passive-sized.

That Local shop also has one of those Dr 7s, and is brand new I believe, I think they have it priced at 549 But I don't remember. May have to go look at it again, they offer 90 day lay way aswell, any idea to figure out what year it would be from?

Also I have played some Schecter 7s but I don't remember how they were.

7stg

Reaction score
Don't let people fool you, the Schecter neck profile is nowhere NEAR "baseball bat" thickness.

This depends on the year. Schecter changed their neck profiles around 2013/2014 and now they are nice. I played their blackjack-c-8 with their Thin ‘C’ profile and that was really thin for me and they have an Ultra Thin ‘C’ profile as well which is even thinner. Their guitars are also spec'ed well for the money. I would recommend them over the alternatives for a budget guitar.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Local shop also has one of those Dr 7s, and is brand new I believe, I think they have it priced at 549 But I don't remember. May have to go look at it again, they offer 90 day lay way aswell, any idea to figure out what year it would be from?

The serial number on the plate would start with 99, 00, or 01:

Jackson Import Bolt-on Serial Number Guide

If it's a '99, it may still be there because it's a dog - they hadn't quite figured these out at that point. I know I played several bad ones in '99, usually fret crowning issues when trying to get the radius right - this led me to order a CS Soloist 7. ;)

However, I have an '01 now and it's a pretty killer guitar.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
The serial number on the plate would start with 99, 00, or 01:

Jackson Import Bolt-on Serial Number Guide

If it's a '99, it may still be there because it's a dog - they hadn't quite figured these out at that point. I know I played several bad ones in '99, usually fret crowning issues when trying to get the radius right - this led me to order a CS Soloist 7. ;)

However, I have an '01 now and it's a pretty killer guitar.

I just remembered that it has a floyd on it, so that would ,make it a drt-7?
I may save up to but a 7620, they seem to go for about 500 used, also what do you guys think of the Agile Septor 727s, ive heard pretty good things about em, 27in scale, hipshot bridge and grover tuners for 339.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Recently got a '99 rg7621 in mint condition. Imo it's on par or even better than other more expensive sevens I've had.:rolleyes:

7stg

Reaction score
what do you guys think of the Agile Septor 727s, ive heard pretty good things about em, 27in scale, hipshot bridge and grover tuners for 339.
They are good for the money. They will need a full setup out of the box.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
They are good for the money. They will need a full setup out of the box.

Well, they may or they may not. A full setup never hurts, but I've had a couple of Agiles and I didn't need to touch them to play right out of the box. I guess it's hit or miss. Again, the setup is always a good idea though.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
A 7621/7620 would be Ideal, my current 6 is an 89 540s ltd with the original Edge bridge, but I just have it blocked off.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Another option is the RG927QMF - 7 string, fixed bridge (tight end R bridge is absolutely awesome), premium quality- can be had used for around $500. Never played one myself, but i have the 6 string version RG921F-BK which is probably still my favorite guitar, even with another new prestige in my lineup.

8540463757_df58346825.jpg

Funky D

Reaction score
So after being a member of this page for so long and been gassing for a 7 string, im going to start looking for my first 7 and would like to keep it around 500. I wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Only things im really looking for would be no baseball necks lol, H-H set up, and preferably fixed bridge, unless its a good trem. A local guitar store has a new RG 1527 in Cosmic Blue, that i want soo bad but its quite out of my price range. I did play a JP70 at GC and I liked it so im considering that one as one of my candidates, even tho its 550 for the flat black finish. Im just a bed room player so don't really need anything too fancy, and i do not mind buying used, Cheers :hbang:

It depends on what you think is "best". What make a guitar great? The price, build, materials, looks, sound, playability? Goes on and on. I think my $350 Schecter stiletto 4 bass kicks the hell out of a $2.5K Warwick, but not if I payed $2.5K for it. If you're happy with it and the deal, then it's the best for you. There are guys that think, if it's not $3K and up, it's garbage.

I personally like to try everything once. Never buy the same thing twice, cars, guitars, whatever. I loved my JP6, schecter exotic star, EC1000, Kelly and so on. But when I got back into it after selling all, I knew it wouldn't be any of those. Been there, done that. That's just my "way".:cool:

Geysd

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation so I'll just ask here :)

What do you guys think of the Jackson JS32-7 Dinky DKA QM TB ?

Can it stick with the RG7421?

Latest posts

')