Best 7 money can buy in your opinion?

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rutan7-straight-scaled.jpg

https://bcrich.com/product/erik-rutan-ironbird-7-signature-model/

First thing to do with these guitars is to break their extreme point, then one can play the hell out of them without the constant fear of doing it unexpectedly...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In a dream world a private stock PRS Holcomb model. On a more realistic front maybe a sterling Jason Richardson with a few mods

Wusthof XIII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you’re somewhat limited on budget, I play a PRS SVN with a BKP Silo in the bridge position and it’s freakin’ glorious. You’ll be around $1,000 or so out-of-pocket.

Crespo

Reaction score
If money isn't limiter the options are vast. Anyway, It's been 1 year that I bought an used Schecter KM7 MKll with fluences. I have to say I am impressed with the built quality. The guitar is friggin insane, best one I had, specially for the price. Now, for sure it won't fit all the needs one may have because it's meant for metal and things like pickups and the scale length may throw you off, but for the build quality I'd go with a Schecter easily.

yan12

Reaction score
Schecter Masterworks. Shigeki and Tetsu have it dialed in. I cannot express how blown away I am by the quality

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Welp, wouldn't be a 7 as I am extra-string-illiterate, BUT I've always loved the Schecter Raiden. Would go Masterworks and probably wouldn't spec it too far off from this guy

qxrhkowixue3vqdybd4x.jpg

Likely go for a Wenge neck/fretboard, no inlays. Hipshot bridge. one coil split volume knob and 3 way. No pickup rings.

Glupidebil

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely the Ibanez rg7620. I've played a myriad of 7's and this is always the first one to come to mind when this question pops up. Its essentially a stripped down universe, with all of the main components being high-end. I especially like the 97-99' models with the one-piece maple universe neck.

Stan P

Reaction score
I am surprised to see PRS brought up so late. Any experience with their top tier 7s?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Best spare-no-expense seven I've played personally is my Suhr Modern 7, though some of that is subjective based on desired specs - I wanted a pretty traditional superstrat - maple neck, alder or ash body, and a pretty top - and for someone looking for something different, they won't work in quite the same way. But, spare-no-expense, some sort of botique built-to-spec seven string, from a short list of established, reputable luthiers will probably get you there.

Best for the money, any of the RG1527 variations from around 03-05 or so were WEIRDLY good, andf I still kick myself for selling th Galaxy Blue one I owned for a while, just because I didnt get on with the DActivators. Had I swapped those for Blazes, it probably would have been my PWH rather than that one to get sold. Best neck and best fretwork I've ever played on an Ibanez, and I'm a former CST owner.

yan12

Reaction score
I don't like Suhr with floyds. The way that locking nut hangs over is beyond stupid. TA guitars which are better all the way around IMHO, do the same thing. I saved a friend a pile because GC near us got in a used Suhr modern and made him a fair offer. I asked if it had a floyd and told him why. He said he never noticed it and thought it was odd... and decided to pass. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of satisfied Suhr players out there and they build a great guitar so hat's off to Suhr and company. But that locking nut to bar retainer geometry just sucks on a guitar of that price. Perhaps newer ones don't have that issue. And those fretboards are too thin for me.

dspellman

Reaction score
Which would you buy if could have only one 7 but it could be any in the world? Just thinking .. what could it be?

I'm still looking for that one. It's going to be a headless, and it will be a multi-scale (fan fret).

I've currently got a 7 with a 27" scale and a conventional body and headstock, and it weighs a ton for no really good reason, and it's not comfortable to play, either in a strap or in a seated position.

Stan P

Reaction score
Is your Sur loaded with 707 or Suhr passives?
Best spare-no-expense seven I've played personally is my Suhr Modern 7, though some of that is subjective based on desired specs - I wanted a pretty traditional superstrat - maple neck, alder or ash body, and a pretty top - and for someone looking for something different, they won't work in quite the same way.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I don't like Suhr with floyds. The way that locking nut hangs over is beyond stupid. TA guitars which are better all the way around IMHO, do the same thing. I saved a friend a pile because GC near us got in a used Suhr modern and made him a fair offer. I asked if it had a floyd and told him why. He said he never noticed it and thought it was odd... and decided to pass. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of satisfied Suhr players out there and they build a great guitar so hat's off to Suhr and company. But that locking nut to bar retainer geometry just sucks on a guitar of that price. Perhaps newer ones don't have that issue. And those fretboards are too thin for me.
I had to look up some Suhr’s to see what you’re talking about, I’ve never noticed that before about them. But the retainer certainly hangs over past the headstock. I’m sure it doesn’t affect playability in anyway. But I could totally see that turning someone off from buying one.

The Mirror

Reaction score
I am surprised to see PRS brought up so late. Any experience with their top tier 7s?

Since the only production line model is the Holcomb SE SVN (which is fantastic, I owe one), with top tier you are talking Private Stock.

Any yeah, no shit, Private Stocks are some of the most magnificent guitars. You could basically also buy a car for the same price, though.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Best 7's I've played were all Onis. There are a lot of super high-end guitars that I've never laid hands on, though.

Yea, I know it's not as trendy and I'd rather in some ways play my Ibanez 7s since they're "cooler", but after everything I've owned, I basically think the Oni would possibly be closest to an objectively best ERG.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
dream? definitely a PRS Custom 24-7string 27.5" Baritone with a 16" fingerboard radius, Double Edge LoPro 7, Fishman Fluence Modern bass housing, KTS titanium bars in the neck, Hollow bird LED inlays

realistic? an Ibanez RG1077XL or a 27.5" scale conversion neck for my Ibanez RGDR4327

Latest posts

')