Best 7 money can buy in your opinion?

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
dream? definitely a PRS Custom 24-7string 27.5" Baritone with a 16" fingerboard radius, Double Edge LoPro 7, Fishman Fluence Modern bass housing, KTS titanium bars in the neck, Hollow bird LED inlays

realistic? an Ibanez RG1077XL or a 27.5" scale conversion neck for my Ibanez RGDR4327
Quick, someone mock up that PRS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is your Sur loaded with 707 or Suhr passives?
Now, a PAF Pro 7 and a Blaze 7, but it shipped wth Suhr passives. Does Suhr even offer 707s as an option?

I don't like Suhr with floyds. The way that locking nut hangs over is beyond stupid. TA guitars which are better all the way around IMHO, do the same thing. I saved a friend a pile because GC near us got in a used Suhr modern and made him a fair offer. I asked if it had a floyd and told him why. He said he never noticed it and thought it was odd... and decided to pass. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of satisfied Suhr players out there and they build a great guitar so hat's off to Suhr and company. But that locking nut to bar retainer geometry just sucks on a guitar of that price. Perhaps newer ones don't have that issue. And those fretboards are too thin for me.
It's pretty clear Suhr just didn't modify their CNC program for a seven string neck when they added a Floyd as an option. FWIW, I don't like the look, but I've had zero problems with tuning stability from the design.

I THINK you can order a Suhr 7 with a Floyd and without a locking nut, and just rely on locking tuners, though, if it bothers you. I think it looks weird, but somewhat more than 2/3 of the nut is supported by wood and the whole thing is bolted in place, so I'm not worried about it.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
RG8527FX is veeeery close, bar the inlay. i freakin love mine. needs a pickup change tho.

4CRQXMBKGOqSrDD_kEHKJiD1nWVA0ZMHoD4htKQ6Ehopi34xdcVou1kiietvgVU215lXPNOHtNWAKFPNCTcn7l0ZjAY5sv4ZPr83-xPzGO897fhvnLmNr1qJ1vXH81KZ4chAP5EQY6H4GjT3MKRUDEMRZsdG-_oNxbRwFp4m3qpy9-0JRakkEuO3egkOhk5pw1cckDqc8loUhArOvuQGEJtaqWofmGTluSxj54Wwnc14QCchzaSmKsBKtFwAhk-SYyjNa9d7QVv4fIUubaGZvjo5TuBuMFpD1wdW4GSlXyCCfBEK0ImkNmjHOkal1IF4URoJRd0KqQWrDklirB0cJDd7PRK3KmgOKAYqfEdOwfIGwT0unpLX_LRg3-Ts0VW6jQnSduU3HgoOcgPbjVIodVzD8cSf4zI1yp2rvZ2Df-uwRYqm3v_jWdMglgQa0Z6LEG6vGyIuJV53F1dHt7LpsDQ8a-lR7ZqeMcKgBChW8xlMmgqBC4rNKiEcGypVSAvao7BHUcWSymD393cq0_N9hkJuNU22KoGjxcVmFhDoODpwWujML3gXRdlvxF4uzBMP3k-oau9BFJPL7K-lpQzaMUFRHktDXSh54ThCVk3oHMfjoEb1=w1064-h1418-no

those tight end R bridges are really starting to grow on me

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no best.

There are objective truths, but this is a very subjective hobby.

I'll put my $700 new Loomis 7 up against a $10k custom. I win.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how you managed to skip those as for a fixed LoPro they seem to come very, very close to...

i love that you remember how obsessed i am with the LP :D but no, they didnt pass by my attention at all. Nick over at AxePalace has been beating them into my head for a while now. ive loved using them for a while, but when i was given the option of having a fixed LoPro with fine tuners over a bridge without fine tuners, ill take the LP everytime.

However, on a guitar like say a PRS Holcomb USA, im suuuuuper hesitant to dig into that body top to install a fixed LoPro. So as im researching other options, im noticing how the Tight Ends can replace almost all hipshot style bridges, and that ugly ass Gibraltar II (tyhe one on the RGIB6) bridge without having to modify the top. So I was considering using a Tight End R on my Holcomb USA as opposed to the heavy labor of routing the top.

what do you think? i loved mocking up my Holcomb before but couldnt bring myself to route the top if i wasnt 100% happy with the top it had. SO now im hunting for a Black Cherry Holcomb, and then equip it with a black Tight End, black hipshot knobs, etc. Give it sort of a "stealth/Dustie Waring" esque color motif.
20200718_032008001.jpeg

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
i love that you remember how obsessed i am with the LP :D but no, they didnt pass by my attention at all. Nick over at AxePalace has been beating them into my head for a while now. ive loved using them for a while, but when i was given the option of having a fixed LoPro with fine tuners over a bridge

ive been tellin nick to make more ibanez runs with tight ends but no dice :lol:
i want a tight end 6 string Jcustom to match my seven, but AFAIK theres only one model that was made and it hasnt been easy to find. RG8571

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
The guitar could use way less wood work, if any at all, with that tight end bridge... there are 2 models I think...

yeppers, thats my game plan now. ive gotta get a little more work done on the PRS i have now so that the LoPro I put it in it fully functions, but then ill put it up for sale/trade. If I end up missing the KxK i was shooting for, ill redirect my energies to tracking down a Holcomb. Hopefully the tech doesnt have to do much more to it to get it working for me. I tried popping the Floyd back in it but since its tail is smaller, the work under the bridge will show. When the LoPro is in it, you cant see any of the work done but I cant sell it to someone as a hard tail without losing a ton on it.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
ive been tellin nick to make more ibanez runs with tight ends but no dice :lol:
i want a tight end 6 string Jcustom to match my seven, but AFAIK theres only one model that was made and it hasnt been easy to find. RG8571

brother, you know you can buy the Tight End R bridge individually and install it on any guitar right? its a direct swap for Hipshot style bridges, and the Gibraltar that comes on alot of the Iron Labels. You can always hit up Rich @ibanezrules and see if he has any in stock. its where i bought both of my Fixed LoPros from.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
I am surprised to see PRS brought up so late. Any experience with their top tier 7s?

I got to try out Mrak's 7 string when he stopped by for a clinic a few years ago (as in the same smoked burst one that was stolen from him but later recovered, fortunately).
That guitar was stupidly comfortable to play. Instruments like these convince me that Paul is really missing out by not catering to the modernized stuff on a more consistent basis among the core and S2 lines, not just being pigeonholed to the SE's, limited runs, and artist builds like the aforementioned Mrak guitar.
42647545-10216857164524333-1895441128686092288-n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/therealmarkholcomb/posts/10102117752957965

BradleyAllan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the aristedes headless with trem is the first guitar to meet all my demands
About to order a h/07r this week in shell pink with gold trem / hardware, and Black Heavens with the white / gold pole pieces. After playing Strandberg’s for a couple of years, the Aristides can’t come quick enough LOL. Keeping my PLEK’ed Natural Poplar Burl Prog 7 with Abasi’s and my Abasi Master Series 8. Just sold my other Strandberg’s so can’t wait for the Aristides.

Stan P

Reaction score
How would Tom Anderson compare to usual suspects if I even find one?

BillCosby

Reaction score
I have my perfect guitar. The Ibanez RG2027XL with Instrumental SFTY4s installed. Best playing 7 I've ever had, and I have had a lot. The neck profile, scale length, weight, everything is perfect for me. But, that's just me.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
gotta give a shout out to skervesen for best 7 money can buy:

skervesen raptor 7. Mine's been through a harsh winter and summer here in MTL where the weather is crazy extreme and I've yet to have to make a truss rod adjustment to it. *knock on wood.

I can't say that for too many of my other guitars.

Plus it's just perfect. The neck is just right for my hands. It plays super smooth. The sound is really versatile. Weight distribution is just right. It has a fantastic finish, and yeah.. Best instrument I've ever owned.... expensive though with the canadian exchange rate and import duties though. lol

The only thing I may do different if/when I order another is to go with some different pickups and not the BK Juggernauts.

I will say if you order one though, put some thought into the wood choices and the finish. Do mock ups etc.. before ordering.

')