Best 7 money can buy in your opinion?

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stan P

Reaction score
gotta give a shout out to skervesen for best 7 money can buy:

skervesen raptor 7. Mine's been through a harsh winter and summer here in MTL where the weather is crazy extreme and I've yet to have to make a truss rod adjustment to it. *knock on wood.. expensive though with the canadian exchange rate and import duties though. lol

Canadian exchange rates are legendary! I am a snowbird, so I can relate! But US is so close by and bringing gear is worth a trip and easy. Other thing is, Canadian luthiers are building for the Global - not really cheaper for the local player. Stay warm in MTL winter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Canadian exchange rates are legendary! I am a snowbird, so I can relate! But US is so close by and bringing gear is worth a trip and easy. Other thing is, Canadian luthiers are building for the Global - not really cheaper for the local player. Stay warm in MTL winter!

Speaking of MTL Ted Stevenson is there and he basically builds Andersons, but he offers a 7 string option unlike Anderson. Another person who owns TS guitars says they are "an Anderson that's more fun to play"

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

haha yeah man, those exchange rates are no joke! It's made me rethink a lot of purchases over the years lol

I have bought some gear on my trips down south a few times. Better selection and sometimes it really is cheaper in avoiding import duties. *but I've never done such a thing as to avoid import duties I swear :lol:

Stan P

Reaction score
It’s actually cheaper to buy Canadian-built guitars in the sates as crazy as it sounds !

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How would Tom Anderson compare to usual suspects if I even find one?
Great guitars. I went Suhr over Anderson mostly because I preferred Suhr's seven string neck carve, but both are extremely well made instruments.

Stan P

Reaction score
Does trem work well on 7 strings or 7th is too inflexible to return to pitch?

sunnyd88

Reaction score
Not exactly the best 7 string money can buy because their QC can be hit or miss, but I find the Strandberg Endurneck for 7 string to be extremely comfortable, like more comfortable than their 6 string neck. Schecter's 7 string neck, like the one on the KM7 and Banshee, is a very close second for comfy 7 string necks. So a custom Schecter USA 7 string might be the way to go. Just go for a scale length longer than 25.5 please. For a lower price and with much more custom options, you could also go for a custom shop Ormsby and get the benefit of multiscale and any neck profile you want (I think Ormsby accepts custom neck dimensions/profiles). I love Mayones too but their Duvell 7 neck is a bit too chunky for me. You could also go all out on an Aviator custom and basically get anything that you could ever want (LED inlays, custom neck profile, one off shapes, etc, he's very open to new ideas) for a decent price but I would say that because Aviator is relatively new, their quality is still not quite like Mayones level but very very close. Both my Aviator and Mayones builds have annoying flaws so neither is perfect lol

Stan P

Reaction score
Drew, is there a specific shape that Suhr 7 does?

Great guitars. I went Suhr over Anderson mostly because I preferred Suhr's seven string neck carve, but both are extremely well made instruments.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just saw this thread so I haven't had a chance to read through it. I assuming it's 5 pages of "JBA1527"?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
A well maintained trem works just as well on a 7 as a 6.

+10 for this. i have no problems with any of my guitars, and all of them have LoPros. They hold up just as well as any hardtail you put them up against, mine just allow faster on the fly tuning via the fine tuners. you barely go sharp on a hardtail, gonna have to detune it and then tune BACK up. i just turn my fine tuners and spend the rest of my free time smiling ;)

20211006_115159.jpg

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew, is there a specific shape that Suhr 7 does?
Thwey may very well do a couple, but the one I got was their Modern Elliptical. It feels pretty Stratty to me, thicker than a standard Ibanez neck but still shy of what I would call a "thick" neck, which is a pretty comfortable place for me.

Stan P

Reaction score
This knowledge is very useful. Thank you to all contributions. About trem .. would you say Floyd is the only viable option for 7 string? I cannot imaging a lo A or lo G gliding over saddle to allow returning to pitch. Also does the trem feel stiffer than on a 6? Thank you again!

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread gave me instant option paralysis! :lol:

Maybe I would go for a custom Ibanez? Or Kiesel? Or Mayones? Or Aristides?
It would probably be some kind of 27" neckthrough with a detailed custom fretboard inlay, Floydrose and aggressive passive pickups in HH configuration and a piezo system in a body made with exotic-ish woods and a flashy top cloaked in my choice of colors, probably satin finished, and an in-line reverse headstock, maybe gold hardware... -ish?

yan12

Reaction score
This knowledge is very useful. Thank you to all contributions. About trem .. would you say Floyd is the only viable option for 7 string? I cannot imaging a lo A or lo G gliding over saddle to allow returning to pitch. Also does the trem feel stiffer than on a 6? Thank you again!

My experience has been the Edge and LoPro Edge are the best trems overall. The newer 1996 gotohs are great, and original floyds are too, but I like the features of the LoPro best for me. I have had no issue running them on 7 strings, not ever. I think the "feel" being stiffer is a setup issue. Depending on your string gauge and number of springs, I think you can get where you want to go.

I always used mine with 25.5" scaled ibbys, a set of 9's or 10's and had no issue. Going super heavy on string gauge got me away from the bar wanker tricks and I used the bridge more like a comfortable hardtail with fine tuners.

The only longer scale 7 string I have now is the 26.5" and it is a string through. It's a very unique custom shop ESP that is essentially an Eclipse 7 with a lot of unusual features. For me, 26.5" is as long as I need to go and I have decided I don't need a trem on a 7 as I tend to write differently...not sure why.

Stan P

Reaction score
For Suhr Modern 7 users, are you finding lower horn being a problem? Is it too close to body?

sunnyd88

Reaction score
This thread gave me instant option paralysis! :lol:

Maybe I would go for a custom Ibanez? Or Kiesel? Or Mayones? Or Aristides?
It would probably be some kind of 27" neckthrough with a detailed custom fretboard inlay, Floydrose and aggressive passive pickups in HH configuration and a piezo system in a body made with exotic-ish woods and a flashy top cloaked in my choice of colors, probably satin finished, and an in-line reverse headstock, maybe gold hardware... -ish?
Sounds like you might want to give Aviator guitars a look :)

')