Best 7-String Electric Guitar Models of All Time

• Thread starter hamoftruth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Universe is automatic.

Ibanez also has three other models I think fight for a second spot on the list too.

-RG7620/7420
I think the UV actually covers this as well, but being the stripped down, affordable/accessible version definitely has a position of strength.

-RG1077XL
The 27 inch scale 7 string was definitely a step on the evolutionary path.

-RGD2127Z/RGD 7 strings
I really think the RGD is not only the next evolutionary leap after the others, it’s a superior instrument design overall.

So, for the Ibanez portion of the list, I think I’d say the UV and the RGD are on it.

The RGD though brings up an interesting point through: Should the RGD be on this list or the EBMM JP7? I don’t know. I still think I’d put the RGD here and put tge JP and Majesty on the list as a bit of a cheat but also since I think both are important to 7 string guitars.

So for my Top/Best/Most Influential 7 strings, so far it’s:

Universe
RGD
JP/Majesty
Blackmachine

Blackmachine belongs on here because the influence, hype, and cool factor were ridiculous. You can still see the influence today. Let’s also be honest though, the Blackmachines were not too dissimilar from RGs.

Can’t really decide on a fifth spot right now. I’m also certain I’m missing a big model, but I’m sleep deprived and just wanted to get in on this post before it gets too far along.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Schecter made great 7 strings with great specs in 1998....my earliest 7620 was 97-98...and the schecter was and is better. I have both.
They are rare but they are certainly out there. 25.5 scale, 16" radius, swamp ash, hardtail or trem, maple or rosewood boards, 24 jumbo frets, sperzel tuners. Dimarzio custom wound pickups.
Which model? Is it a custom?

Because the first Schecter 7 string production model was the 1999 Diamond Series Avenger (certain people here claim the production C7's came first, which might be true, but not according to Schecter's own website, and in '99, I never saw one, even working at a Schecter dealer, so they are either confusing with a custom shop guitar, or maybe it was not available in the US). Anyway, when those came out, and having had worked on a six string custom Schecter before, I was stoked to try one out. Made in Korea, V neck profile, huge heavy body, muddy knockoff pickups, archtop, 6+1 (?!) headstock, poor quality bridge, priced almost as much as the RG7620. I know some people ended up loving the later model A7's, but mostly after Schecter overhauled the design. I've seen the late 90's models sell for like $30-50, and, personally, I wouldn't even buy one for that ridiculous of a price. Also, the ones we had in stock in 99 didn't move. 7 strings were even hot at the time, but those A7's we had took over a year to start selling. The last one we had in stock from the first batch had to be written off.

tedtan

Reaction score
The UV definitely belongs on the list, probably in the top spot. But I’ll add the Ibanez 540S7, a production 7 string S series model available as early as ‘90 or ‘91. Munky even played them before switching to UV style guitars.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The Rg7620 because if it weren't for that then 7 string would have probably remained a rare breed and only for down tuned metal bands using UV's. If it weren't for bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit becoming famous in mainstream the 7620 may not have been produced possibly.
- I could be wrong but as the UV was already out of production I think even Vai wasn't using it as much by then. However Korn was inspired by Vai and the UV and I think Dino was too but wanting to tune it down etc. You can't compare the UV to it really as it's a different era but it certainly inspired everything and got it rolling.
- If it weren't for the UV the bands that made the 7620 possible wouldn't exist as they were, is how I remember it. I highly doubt Ibanez would've made a high production 7 if Korn didn't get so big and I doubt any other company would've made them in high numbers if Ibanez didn't sell so many. I think Esp was next to make them with the Horizon 7 in larger numbers but though it was real nice it was nothing in comparison to a 7620's price point, especially with a LoPro. LoPro makes you not want a Floyd or even an Edge anymore.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
I came here to say the original Schecter Jeff Loomis. Not the most exquisite thing out there but extremely well made, ash, set 3 piece maple neck, OFR. I give it lots of thumbs up, playability is excellent.

I also have one of those late-90's schecter C-7s with the 5+2 headstock mentioned above. It's not bad but it's definitely budget.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I would at least like to give an honorable mention to the Carvin DC727/DC747. They were early to the trend, great quality and fairly affordable for a basic spec model.

I would still have to give the win to the Universe. On top of being so early and influential, its also a fuckin stellar guitar, with tons of versatile tone options. Which is compounded even further with the floating bridge.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
For me personally there are a few 7 string guitars which were the gold standard

Universe/RG7 - the RG7620 really is just a stripped down universe at the end of the day
Carvin DC7 series - Lot of local guys had these when there weren't many options
Schecter JL-7/KM-7 - I think these deserve to be on the list. Loomis and Merrow got a LOT of people into 7s

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
No way. Schecter started making good sevens in the late 00's. They had a couple models prior to that, but, IMO, those were bad. Weird V neck profiles, disappointing specs, etc. You could technically say they were early, but it took then 10 years to figure it out. Now their 7s are great, though.

It was those red Schecter 7-strings that ruined Schecter for me for years. I assumed everything they put out was like those things and wouldn’t even give them a second look. It wasn’t until a year or so ago I picked up a Schecter for the first time in decades and realized they weren’t nearly as shitty as I thought. Those old 7’s were fucking horrid.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
For me personally there are a few 7 string guitars which were the gold standard

Universe/RG7 - the RG7620 really is just a stripped down universe at the end of the day
Carvin DC7 series - Lot of local guys had these when there weren't many options
Schecter JL-7/KM-7 - I think these deserve to be on the list. Loomis and Merrow got a LOT of people into 7s
totally agree, you go back and look at posts on here from 2008-2012 and it was all rg's and Carvins and Schecters ... and then sadly Ricos :(

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
It was those red Schecter 7-strings that ruined Schecter for me for years. I assumed everything they put out was like those things and wouldn’t even give them a second look. It wasn’t until a year or so ago I picked up a Schecter for the first time in decades and realized they weren’t nearly as shitty as I thought. Those old 7’s were fucking horrid.
Hard agree. Same reason I never looked at Schecters. Then I bought a SLS-7 Elite and it was insanely good for the price. Those Hellraisers sucked.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
-RGD2127Z/RGD 7 strings
I really think the RGD is not only the next evolutionary leap after the others, it’s a superior instrument design overall.
I don't disagree at all.. but I am waiting to see some heat for this comment! :D

oracles

Reaction score
The UV is absolutely top of the list, it's an icon in its own right and I doubt 7s would be as prevalent as they are (despite still being niche) if it weren't for the UV. The UV and blaze pickups have their own special place in death metal history.

That said, I still think the SLAT3-7 is underrated as a production 7. It was a welcome re-entry after the ill fated late 90s DR/RR/KE7, and it truly punched above its weight for the price when it was released, and I still feel like it does. Even now, as iconic as the 7620 is, the SLATs are every bit as good, and generally in better overall shape.

oracles

Reaction score

The only thing I'd give credit to the RGD for over the regular RG is the 26.5" scale length and the volume control placement. Otherwise, I feel like it's a lateral move at best. The pickup selector switch is in a truly awful spot, either leave it where it normally is or do the LP/JP thing and top horn mount it, but its so awkward and inconvenient to use mounted at the lower horn.

I also detest the bevels and the subsequent trend it created, one of the worst things to happen aesthetically to guitars in the last decade.

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I thought long and hard about this post, and I'm going to have to say it was the Scale the Summit Jackson customs for Chris and Travis.

f0140799a7f1d1e2daab614fbf5af89e.jpg

50276778_2231482030400316_5763175860110622720_n.jpg

Reaction score
The first 7 stringer I had in my hands was an UV777P from about...'97 / '98... and at that time. I used to pass by a local shop on my way home after college and I'd seldom ask the gate keepers to play a bit with the guitar... only recently, about 20+ years after I got one for me and she's great, a cool mod platform as well The pickguard allows for many variations... however my first 7 stringer was (and still is) an RG2027XVV...

.. so, yeah, the Universe series wins the cake, by far.

... but there are several interesting contenders within the Ibanez Prestige realm:
- The already mentioned RG7CST, unicorn piss unobtainium level.
- The close relative RG2027XVV from '00 to '01
- all the RG7620 RG7621 derivatives like the RG1527s and the later RG752... my RG1527 has been growing on me quite a bit and more so after the piezo mod it got last year. It's lighter than the 2027s and delivers all the same tones and mojo.
- the S5527 is also a great call

... on the lookout I have
- the Rg1077 / RG2077 or the newer RG2027X
- I want an S7420 from 2010s because of 24 frets and ZR trem... to mod it with a sustainer and install several switches without regrets.
- some S5527 fixed bridge models...?

... but then there are the workhorses models where the RG7621 / RG7421 (both MIJ) and RG7321 (MIK) kick ass big time.

... and for me that's about it. I have curiosity on Aristides' and Strandbergs' for they're huge design difference from the traditional Ibanezes, but since those don't show up at all near by...

hamoftruth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The first 7 stringer I had in my hands was an UV777P from about...'97 / '98... and at that time. I used to pass by a local shop on my way home after college and I'd seldom ask the gate keepers to play a bit with the guitar... only recently, about 20+ years after I got one for me and she's great, a cool mod platform as well The pickguard allows for many variations... however my first 7 stringer was (and still is) an RG2027XVV...

.. so, yeah, the Universe series wins the cake, by far.

... but there are several interesting contenders within the Ibanez Prestige realm:
- The already mentioned RG7CST, unicorn piss unobtainium level.
- The close relative RG2027XVV from '00 to '01
- all the RG7620 RG7621 derivatives like the RG1527s and the later RG752... my RG1527 has been growing on me quite a bit and more so after the piezo mod it got last year. It's lighter than the 2027s and delivers all the same tones and mojo.
- the S5527 is also a great call

... on the lookout I have
- the Rg1077 / RG2077 or the newer RG2027X
- I want an S7420 from 2010s because of 24 frets and ZR trem... to mod it with a sustainer and install several switches without regrets.
- some S5527 fixed bridge models...?

... but then there are the workhorses models where the RG7621 / RG7421 (both MIJ) and RG7321 (MIK) kick ass big time.

... and for me that's about it. I have curiosity on Aristides' and Strandbergs' for they're huge design difference from the traditional Ibanezes, but since those don't show up at all near by...
I love my RG1527 easily as much as my 7620, but in many folks' eyes the Edge Pro is less favorable than the Lo Pro. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it seems to be the more common perception.

')