Best 7 string for $600 to $700

• Thread starter clansannes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

clansannes

Reaction score
I'm gonna be getting a new 7 string soon and my budget is between $600 and $700. I was looking at the Sterling Jp70 and few ibanez and ESP LTD guitars. Any opinions on whats the best bang for buck, build quality, neck profile?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
What do you like in a guitar? Trem or fixed bridge? Passively or actives? What will you be tuning to? What do you like a guitar to look like? Crazy shapes? Etc!

Tell us your perfect, ideal guitar and we will find the closest thing in or slightly above your price range.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used MIJ Ibanez RG7s. Nothing in that price range is going to hit the quality bracket those guitars fall in. Nothing.

Breakdown

Reaction score
Seriously man,if you dont mind buying used MIJ rg's are great and can be bought for under your price range. I got my 7421 FOR $250 and the 7620 I used to have before that for $450 with case. You might even be able to get one, mod it to your liking and ,unless you get BKP's or something, stay within budget.

clansannes

Reaction score
I will be tuning to B standard I have an Ibanez rg7321, not really crazy about the neck shape and the fret work is pretty bad, not to mention the muddy pickups. I like strat shaped guitars with good upper fret access but a les paul or prs style is cool too. would prefer a fixed bridge but if the JP70 trem actually stays in tune that would be cool.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Problem is old MIJ RG7's aren't the easiest to find

They're incredibly easy to find actually. There are half a dozen on eBay right now, all for under $600. Not to mention how often they pop up here for sale.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Post a wtb rg7621 / rg7620 thread and you'll wake up with like 20000 messages.

clansannes

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I have my eye on a few RG's on ebay, I'm really diggin the looks of the green JP70 if the neck is slim enough and the trem stays in tune.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
The trem will stay in tune. It has a good nut and tuners. THAT'S what keeps a guitar in tune. Don't worry about the trem. Hell, you could always block it if you're cool with a fixed bridge. So I'd definitely get that if you like it the most. It also will have a very thin neck. It's a Sterling but it's still a Petrucci model, you know? Besides. I played the 6 string version and it fucking SLAYED! Even with the horrible setup. Sounded really great too.

There is also a PRS SE Custom 24 7 string that looks AWESOME and comes in a sexy blue or sunburst finish. But it will have a slightly shorter scale length and a bit of a thicker neck.

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
Definitely used for that price range. You can get a ~$1200 guitar that way. Ibanez RG7's, Schecter's, LTD's. There is a difference in make quality between $700 new and $1200 new... so even if its not a condition 0, you're better off with a used higher quality guitar. Nice thing about Schecters is they'll have 26.5" scale, whereas pretty much everything else in that price bracket is 25.5". That one inch makes all the difference.

Breakdown

Reaction score
I will be tuning to B standard I have an Ibanez rg7321, not really crazy about the neck shape and the fret work is pretty bad, not to mention the muddy pickups. I like strat shaped guitars with good upper fret access but a les paul or prs style is cool too. would prefer a fixed bridge but if the JP70 trem actually stays in tune that would be cool.

They are different guitars. The neck on the 7321 is not the same as the one on the 7421, the one on the 7421 is rounder and a bit thicker,the MIJs are also made at the FujiGen factory, the same factory that the prestige Ibbys are made in today, the fretwork on these guitars is not an issue. While ive never played a JP i have read that their necks are thinner than those on Ibanez guitars so if you dont like the neck on the ibanez because of how thin it is you might not like the JP either.

clansannes

Reaction score
The thinness of the Ibanez rg7321 neck is not an issue it's just kinda flat on the back with big shoulders so it makes it feel really square. I have had so many issues with Ibanez fretwork I don't know if I would get another one.

Breakdown

Reaction score
The thinness of the Ibanez rg7321 neck is not an issue it's just kinda flat on the back with big shoulders so it makes it feel really square. I have had so many issues with Ibanez fretwork I don't know if I would get another one.

Which guitars did you have issues with.

clansannes

Reaction score
Mostly the lower end stuff, three different 7321's, two 321's, an s7320 and an arz307. maybe it's just my bad luck but i've ordered a lot of guitars and sent most of em back because of fret issues.

acauseforpatric

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I have my eye on a few RG's on ebay, I'm really diggin the looks of the green JP70 if the neck is slim enough and the trem stays in tune.

I own the green JP70. The locking tuners on it are awesome, and just as nice as the sperzels I ordered for my ESP h207. In fact the grib on the knob doesn't hurt like on the sperzels. It stays in tune very well, I usually can get away with a few hours of practice without checking my tuning.

clansannes

Reaction score
I own the green JP70. The locking tuners on it are awesome, and just as nice as the sperzels I ordered for my ESP h207. In fact the grib on the knob doesn't hurt like on the sperzels. It stays in tune very well, I usually can get away with a few hours of practice without checking my tuning.

Nice! how does the neck compare to an Ibanez, thinner, thicker, rounder?

acauseforpatric

Reaction score
Nice! how does the neck compare to an Ibanez, thinner, thicker, rounder?

The neck is quite thin, with a fairly flat U shape. However it doesn't feel square. I think I have played an Ibby or two that had "thinner" necks overall. However I will say that this guitar, more than anything else, is just very comfortable to play. I practice at least 3 hours a day and with my LTD H207 the first thing that bugs me is the square body edges, despite the carved top. The JP70 has no such issues.

')