Best 7 string for $600 to $700

• Thread starter clansannes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I'll be straight up, I picked up a 7620 with OHSC for $450 shipped and its easily one of the best production 7s that I've ever laid hands on (the fact that you can snag one for an absurdly low price is more like the icing on the cake for me). When I pulled it from the box it was shipped in, I got the same feeling from it that I got from my Carvin. It felt like I could play anything, like I was in total control of the instrument and nothing was restricting me.

The used mij RG7s are the BEST guitar you can get for LESS than the price range you're asking about. You can easily get one + a pup swap and remain within your budget. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AfterTheBurial8

Sir. Casm
Reaction score
My first 7 was an Ibanez RG7321 and it played like a dream, pick ups were a bit shoddy but you can swap them out if needs be. For the price I paid for it, it was well worth it!

DarthV

Reaction score
Nice! how does the neck compare to an Ibanez, thinner, thicker, rounder?

Depends on what Ibanez you are comparing with. My rg7620 has a thicker neck than the newer rg1527's. Probably due to single vs 3/5 piece neck. Haven't had a chance to try out a JP70 yet, but on paper it looks like it would be even thinner than a rg1527. I'm looking for another 7 string in the same price range as you and it's a toss up between a JP70 and a used rg1527.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
2916270571_frt_wlg_001.jpg

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
These Jackson's are built like tanks. I love mine (even though the pickups are awful). I bought mine knowing full well i'd replace a lot of the hardware... you probably won't be in the same boat though.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
My first 7 was an Ibanez RG7321 and it played like a dream, pick ups were a bit shoddy but you can swap them out if needs be. For the price I paid for it, it was well worth it!

I second this.. I put a crunch lab and liquifire in my rg7321 and for the price.. you really can't beat it.

zachyl

Reaction score
If your going for a brand new seven and you still live in Redding I would say go with schecter. I got my Schecter atx c-8 from Herreids and I love it. I think Herreids might even have a schecter 7 in stock, they did last time I was in town

lewstherin006

Reaction score
jp70 with new pickups and you have a awesome guitar. I love my jp70 and I'm about to put bkp blackhawks in it.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Reaction score
Nice! how does the neck compare to an Ibanez, thinner, thicker, rounder?

It's just different, really. Compared to the 7421/7321 guitars I played (both that friends own as well as at Guitar Center) it feels more like a "traditional" neck, if that at all makes sense. All of the Ibby 7s I played felt like the neck was big on the top(low b), thinner on the bottom(high e), and really flat in between. It was comfortable, and for the price I really was ready to buy it...

...but I'm so glad I didn't. As someone else mentioned, I can play my JP70 for hours (just have it plugged in while I watch tv or movies etc) and I don't even notice it. This is in stark contrast to the Schecter Damien7 I owned a long time ago, that had such a ridiculous edge where my picking arm rested that I'd get maybe a half hour and have to stop. The neck doesn't feel as asymmetrical as the Ibby felt to me, and is really comfortable for basically any style I've thrown at it since it came in the mail on the 19th.

The pickups are great (for the price). I might end up switching them out for the liquifire/crunch combo, but I really haven't felt compelled to yet. The color is much more gorgeous in person than it is in pictures. Instead of that really bright green or purple, it's a really deep emerald green that doesn't really show off until it's directly in a bright light.

tl;dr: The JP70 neck is awesome, body is cut in all the right places for comfortable long sessions of play, sounds good, and color is something to be proud of over a solid black.

acauseforpatric

Reaction score

tl;dr: The JP70 neck is awesome, body is cut in all the right places for comfortable long sessions of play, sounds good, and color is something to be proud of over a solid black.

I agree with all of the above. It is the most comfortable shape.

vick1000

Reaction score

Seconded, I have the SLATTXMG3-7 in Silverburst. Baritone and neckthrough with EMGs. I did swap pups on mine, but I never have liked EMGs. Better neck than a Schecter, not as thin as a Wizard, but better quality than the typical RG.

clansannes

Reaction score
If I can stretch my budget to $700 I might check out one of the Jackson's, I like the look of the silverburst and I don't mind the 26.5 scale but I really would like to stay away from EMG's.

Bladed-Vaults

Broceidon
Reaction score
really??? noone suggested the schecter sls c7?? offered in both passive and active. and has one of the sickest necks for under a grand...

GC used site has em for 499 all the damn time.
another option is the loomis 7. sells for 499-599 used always.
some of the jackson 7s are to be found cheap. but beware. while the necks are awesome. some are basswood some are mahogony... and you want the mahogony winged one trust me on this.

he already said he didnt care for the rg7XXX series. so im confused as to why people keep offering them??

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I go with the mh 417 because its easy to play, and easy to find used for like $500 and then use the extra money to get some bkp's

')