Best 7 string pickups for an alder body + maple neckthrough guitar?

• Thread starter HighGain510
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
As most of you already know, I have a Carvin coming my way this week and want to grab new pickups but I've never owned an alder body, maple-necked guitar before so I figured I would ask for some help here! Any suggestions? I'm flexible on the manufacturer but most likely not going boutique on this one (i.e. no Bareknuckles). Hook a brotha' up! :hbang: Thanks guys! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, seeing as I have a Duncan JB/Jazz set in my Jackson that's that configuration, and it's the best-sounding guitar I own, my recommendation should be obvious. :yesway:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, seeing as I have a Duncan JB/Jazz set in my Jackson that's that configuration, and it's the best-sounding guitar I own, my recommendation should be obvious. :yesway:

Cool Mike! Does the JB7 have that harsh mid-spike like the 6 string version though? I had an EC-1000 with a JB that sounded awesome but that midrange spikiness killed it for me after I sat with it for a while. :noplease:

Also I forgot to mention that I'm looking for something fairly hot in the bridge, I use a lot of pinch harmonics (a'la Zakk and Killswitch), and I want something that will be very clean and clear in the neck for use with clean and overdriven tones. Thanks! :metal:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like the Jazz is perfect for your neck pickup. The JB7 has the midrange spike, but it's a little smoother, IMO - it'll be less pronounced in the alder, too. For some reason, that spike really jumps in mahogany, and is less vicious in other woods.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score

+1 I have this set in my SL2H soloist (which is maple necked and alder wings) and I love it.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
Awesome, you are getting a carvin too! My order was placed Feb 22, so I've got some waiting to do.

The jb/jazz set sounds nice. the jb sounded real trebly in a mahogany bodied guitar I played before but if others say it doesn't sound like that in an alder guitar then that should be a good choice.

the D sonic might be good in alder. sounds beastly in basswood.

O, and hi KMANICK! Now we are at all the same forums haha.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
My Carvin arrived safely however the trem is dipping down into the body pretty hardcore and the strings look like they're the same ones that came with the guitar back in the early 2000's! :ugh: Ick, needs a setup and new strings ASAP before I start to cry... :squint: After that I'll report back once I get some new pickups in as well.

Speaking of which, if I go with Duncans, what's the best way to go in terms of getting the pickups to fit properly: 1) Grind the metal down on the right side ears or 2) widen the pickup route on the right side to fit normal-sized pickups? I'm thinking of going route #2 but I don't know how to do it safely without chipping the shit out of the paint and making the guitar look like crap. Also, I know it looks sexier without the pickup rings but since SD's come with 7 string pickup rings should I toss them on there as well to make raising/lowering a bit easier? :scratch:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of which, if I go with Duncans, what's the best way to go in terms of getting the pickups to fit properly: 1) Grind the metal down on the right side ears or 2) widen the pickup route on the right side to fit normal-sized pickups? I'm thinking of going route #2 but I don't know how to do it safely without chipping the shit out of the paint and making the guitar look like crap. Also, I know it looks sexier without the pickup rings but since SD's come with 7 string pickup rings should I toss them on there as well to make raising/lowering a bit easier? :scratch:

I think Jacksonplayer's done the Duncans install, so he might be able to help there. As for the rings, well, I wouldn't bother - properly foamed (I used a good-sized chunk of neoprene) you won't have any issues...

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh good deal! Thanks for all your help here Mike, I appreciate it bro! You've been most helpful! :yesway: Jacksonplayer.... help! :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
When I FINALLY score a seven string strat, the JB is going to be my first choice for a bridge pickup. :agreed:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have 2 alder body, maple neck-thru 7s. One has a Duncan JB and the other has an Invader. Both of these pickups, along with the Duncan Custom work splendidly in alder/maple - depending on the amp of course. The JB has a better, warmer lead tone, whereas the Invader has a more brutal, tighter rhythm tone. Both sound amazing though.

I would not recommend a D Sonic in alder, unless you installed it backwards with the blade towards the neck.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
When I FINALLY score a seven string strat, the JB is going to be my first choice for a bridge pickup. :agreed:

It's ridiculous how close to a Strat a tapped JB sounds like. In my Soloist, it's almost position four. Think the tonality of position four, but without the phase cancellation, making it a tad brighter.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd venture to say that the DS-7 is brighter than the JB, but it might be more of a midrange thing.

The JB-7/Jazz-7 combo is a well-tested standby, and would probably suit your needs in alder.

As far as Dimarzio, I've been blown away by the clarity and tone of their bridge pickups placed in neck position. Blaze Bridge and Evolution-7 Bridge sound great as neck pickups. It might be interesting to try this with a Duncan pickup in the bridge position.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd venture to say that the DS-7 is brighter than the JB, but it might be more of a midrange thing.

The JB-7/Jazz-7 combo is a well-tested standby, and would probably suit your needs in alder.

As far as Dimarzio, I've been blown away by the clarity and tone of their bridge pickups placed in neck position. Blaze Bridge and Evolution-7 Bridge sound great as neck pickups. It might be interesting to try this with a Duncan pickup in the bridge position.

There are a lot of people that like using a JB in the neck, and just backing it off to get some signal balance with the bridge pickup. Mustaine's Jackson KV model came like this, with a Custom in the bridge...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
There are a lot of people that like using a JB in the neck, and just backing it off to get some signal balance with the bridge pickup. Mustaine's Jackson KV model came like this, with a Custom in the bridge...

I thought it had the Lawrence in the bridge. :scratch:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Woot Woot! Just scored a used JB-7 off of eBay last night for $50 incl. shipping! I can't wait... although I have to get the guitar cleaned and setup first. Also have a tremol-no (Gen 2) on the way! :metal:

')