Best amp for metal? Soldano, Mesa, Diezel, or Orange

wakjob

Reaction score
Seeing as how you already have access to the almighty VH4, get something with a different flavor.

Engl or Fryette

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Love the VH4, but it doesn't scream METAL at me. More heavy, hard rock (which is what I like), but if you've played one and like it, then you know what it's about.

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
You should see her guitars... she has a blackmachine b2 w/bkp, ibanez 8 string w/bpk (i forgot the model), 76 gibby gold top, 81 tele deluxe, schecter blackjack atx solo 6 and a custom 7 string i made for her double cut away black korina body and swamp ash top and so beautiful!
Picsorban

mniel8195

Reaction score
thats super brutal that your gf has a vh4! As far as the vh4 channel 3 is truly evil if you set it up correctly. the deal with the mesa is either by the reborn if not you have to be careful about what year. I guess the tremoverb from the 90's is a epic amp. Have you considered the 5150 III?

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
For somebody who has that kind of experience with such high-end amplifiers, you'd think they'd be a bit more knowledgeable asking "whats the best amp for metal".

Thats like asking, "whats the best spice to cook food with?" Or, "whats the best beverage to drink when you are only partially thirsty?"

Strobe

Reaction score
For somebody who has that kind of experience with such high-end amplifiers, you'd think they'd be a bit more knowledgeable asking "whats the best amp for metal".

Thats like asking, "whats the best spice to cook food with?" Or, "whats the best beverage to drink when you are only partially thirsty?"

I think a similar thing when I read posts on this forum. That said, if it were not for people asking questions like that, I am not sure what would be posted on this forum. :shrug:

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I think a similar thing when I read posts on this forum. That said, if it were not for people asking questions like that, I am not sure what would be posted on this forum. :shrug:

More of the; What is YOUR personal definition of djent? :lol:

flint757

Reaction score
Rectos have an ok clean channel, but getting a good lead sound requires a boost and somewhat extreme eq'ing. They have a somewhat uniqe character that you either love or hate i guess.. Definately try before you buy, and remember that Mesa's can be a pain to dial in, so give it some time before judging it :)

Recto's and all Mesa products just require that you actually read the manual. It tells you what knobs have the most impact and what not to do etc. My triple rec and Mark IV were easy to dial in once I spent like 15 minutes with the manuals.

I'd personally go VH4, I love Diezel...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Another vote for Fryette stuff. Specifically pittbulls if you want them super tight and articulate. I haven't played a lot of the others mentioned, but I can say the Pittbulls are much tighter and drier than any other amp I've played.

And get that GF of yours on here! Sounds like she'd be a great asset to the SSO community with her gear history.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
My prefered style of playing is similar to Periphery, Veil of Maya, Red Seas Fire, and stuff of that nature.
Well if you want to sound similar to that Periphery and Red Seas Fire uses 5150iii... so maybe just switch to EVH? Nicer clean channel than the Peavey.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
DIEZEL Guitar Amplification: users

^ quite a few metal musicians in there :yesway:

I'm not sure how many of them are playing the VH4. I"m not saying that they can't sound very heavy and aggressive, but there are other amps out there that seem more "metal" (like the Engl Savage; I couldn't get that thing to calm down).

I've owned two VH4s (a '07 mono head and currently own a 90s blueface stereo head). The later version was particularly aggressive and gainy. I don't think I've ever heard any of the bands the OP listed (I'm an old fart who loves AIC, Soundgarden, Tool, etc.). The VH4 gets plenty heavy for that, but I'm not sure it does mega modern crazy metal like the Engl, for example.

')