Best Amp under $500

• Thread starter Verbius
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Verbius

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to get a new amp here. I have roughly $500. I don't care if its tube or SS but it has to get distortion at low levels cause I live in an apt.

I've had a Line 6, a Vox Valvetronix XL 50, a Peavey ValveKing 112, and a Peavey 30 Watt Vypyr....

Any thoughts??

Oh and I play mostly metal, grindcore, metalcore type stuff....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, my current backup rig, which can sound good at low volumes, is a Marshall Valvestate 8200, with a boost in front it sounds rather nice for what it is, they can be had quite cheap too. They did combo versions of it, the 8240 and 8280 if I remember right.

Other than that, I like Roland Cubes in that range, the Tech21 range of gear is always good too.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
one of these:

heads.jpg

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
Carvin Legacys can be had for around that used, especially since the new ( not nessessarily better ) version has been annouced..

And people say it can't do metal, but I beg to differ.

axechain

ByoSeven
Reaction score
Used Legacy, maybe on it`s on it is not much metal as Boss Metal Zone can sound but you get a natural and juicy sounding amp heaven.:shred:

Pollywog

Reaction score
I didn't think the Legacy could do low volume stuff though, considering the OP mentions that they live in an apartment. It has a been a long time since I messed with one but I don't remember the low volume tones sounding all that great.

I'm going to second the Valvestate recommendation though because I know those things can be had for cheap and considering there nature and the fact that they're solid state means they should sound good at low volumes. Plus Chuck played a Valvestate.

Pollywog

Reaction score
Yeah, if the OP had an attenuator I might more inclined to recommend the Legacy. But since Verbius didn't say anything about having one I'm assuming he doesn't.

Pewtershmit

Reaction score
ahh I didn't reload the page since axechain posted, so I missed your post.

if no attenuator, I definatley wouldn't bother with the legacy.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
You could get a roland cube, and then put a couple nice overdrive pedals in front of it. They sound great and clean at low volumes, and the setup wont be horribly expensive.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Vox modeling amps sound really great for their Price IMO, and would be more versatile than the Valvestate anyway.
That said, I always thought the old Valvestates could pull off some amazing rhythm guitar tones that more expensive tube amps can't even top.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
Will rack gear work?
ART SGX 2000/Express or Nitro might work.
Older Rocktron Gear like the Chameleon/pirahna.
might also try some of the Rocktron Combos, the V10 retails for $50
Marshall Valvestate's are a good choice as well.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i'd try to score a well used 5150/6505 for that if you're lucky. I've read of people getting a used one in that price range, so i'd say it's doable,

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
I scored my Roland Cube 30 for 60$ and it is a great at home practice amp.....deals are out there you just gotta look for them:)

+1^ My first reall amp was a 5150 i scored for $350.00 used at a pawnshop in okay condition after switching the tubes it was mint....I have regretted selling it ever since as it had a special mojo too it I havent been able to fully replicate.

troyguitar

Reaction score
If you're only playing it in the apartment, then I would probably get one of the Behringer V-Tone or V-Ampire combos or a Line6 Spider III. Just make sure to get something with 12" speaker(s).

If you want something that is also loud enough to play out with, go with the ValveKing 1x12. They are under $300 used and sound pretty damn good and are plenty loud to jam with, especially if you add a closed-back 1x12 extension cabinet.

Verbius

Reaction score
If you're only playing it in the apartment, then I would probably get one of the Behringer V-Tone

What about the Behringer V Pro Rack module?? Anyone use that thing before! What power amp would I get with something like that? No tubes.:wavey:

')