Best and worst vocalists.

• Thread starter Samer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Meinrad

Fear the Engineer
Reaction score
I find there are more elements to outstanding vocals than just a good range - the vocalist has to speak out about his ideas in a way which will make people think about them as they should be thought about. He must know when to growl, when to sing clean, when to max out, and respond to the instrumental music. Another big element is how unique his vocals are - If he sounds just like most of the typical vocalists out there, who's going to pay any attention to the ideas he tries to convey?

One of my favorite vocalists is Serdj from Digimortal.

Not only does he convey his ideas well by switching from growls to clean vocals with timing that will inflict fear and wonder in listeners at the same time, he has very interesting ideas to begin with, and when he helps to write the instrumental music he is good at making it complete his vocals.

Maynard James Keenan from Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer is another awesome vocalist.

He has a very unique voice that no one else can imitate adequately, even those (like Adam Monroe) who can keep up with his complicated patterns, timing, and ability to use a different style for each of the different bands he works in.

Another vocalist I find particularly talented is Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory and City of Fire.

As Fear Factory has progressed, Burton has been less capable with range, but he's still unique and quite good at pounding his ideas into the minds of the listeners.

Alex Møklebust from Zeromancer is worth mentioning - his range is unremarkable, but he is very unique and good at his own little style.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slapnutz

Reaction score
The singer from Sevendust is one of the best when it comes to "powerful grunt singing" ... as in not just screaming but singing in key while doing heavy vocals.

Others come to mind are Phil Anselmo(when not wasted), Devin Townsend, singer from Symphony X..etc..

I prefer guys that can "sing grunt". (and who can pull off the same accuracy live)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Lajon from Sevendust. Especially on the "Animosity" and "Cold Day Memory" albums.

Ben from Sybreed.

Phil from All That Remains.

Ben from Sw1tched back on the "Subject To Change" album.

Michael AND Guillaume from Mnemic. All albums.

Brandon from Bleeding Through.

Andreas from Caliban. Dude killllls it live.

Randy from Lamb of God.

And of course, Phil from Pantera.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Peter Tägtgren!!!

:agreed: Him and fellow Bloodbath alternate Mikael Åkerfeldt just fuse the brutal with the sinister (the element most extreme metal vocalists lack, IMHO) so well, not to mention both guys have super flexible clean vocals that put most to shame. :agreed:

Steve08

Reaction score
I am utterly appalled Spencer Sotelo was mentioned and Casey Sabol was not.

:D

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Speed from Soilwork is awesome. Crestfallen is a great example of his powerful screams that weave in with the chorus. I also LOVE the clean break a bit after the 2 minute mark. Plenty of emotion.

and as someone already said, Christian Alvestam's work in Scar Symmetry and Solution .45 is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqzl06-q3I

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Speed from Soilwork is awesome. Crestfallen is a great example of his powerful screams that weave in with the chorus. I also LOVE the clean break a bit after the 2 minute mark. Plenty of emotion.

and as someone already said, Christian Alvestam's work in Scar Symmetry and Solution .45 is amazing.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I am utterly appalled Spencer Sotelo was mentioned and Casey Sabol was not.

:D

Look on the first page for Casey's name, because it got dropped before Spencer's.

I love Akerfeldt's vocals. probably my favorite these days, but a couple other guys come to mind. Corpsegrinder obviously, Brandon from veil of maya because his voice has so much natural growl, and JR Hayes for sheer power.

Yep.

Deathstate

PARAPRAXIS
Reaction score

everyone in this band (that includes JR from PxDx)

Joe Horvath from Circle of Dead Children (best grindcore vocalist ever)

Joe Duplantier from Gojira
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus
Demon Carcass from The Faceless
Phlegeton from Wormed
Lord Worm (two worms haha)
Mike Williams from Eyehategod
Dead from Mayhem (he was ill)
Chris Reinert from Autopsy
Julie Christmas from Made out of Babies
Len Leal from Cephalic Carnage
Shaun Lacanne from Putrid Pile
Big Chocolate from Disfiguring the Goddess and Burning the Masses
Sacha Dunable from Intronaut
Mike Patton!
Neige from Lantlos
Guillame from Gorod
Luc Lemay from Gorguts

Steve08

Reaction score
^Stellar list dude!

Also I'd like to add Chalky formerly of Psycroptic, now in Spawn of Possession

Deathstate

PARAPRAXIS
Reaction score
Damn, missed Chalky. Love his gutturals, he has a great method of jumping from resonant low to high while doing squeals, very nice.

Steve08

Reaction score
Concerning those crazy lows he does sometimes, I honestly have no clue how he pulls off that chorus line:

"Skeen coffeen rahurghblurgharugharaagh" :lol:

DVRP

The HUMANCENTiPAD
Reaction score

Where is teh love for Mitch Lucker! That dudes highs are sick, especially live :)

I would have to agree with OP about Acacia Strain....that song busts my nuts its so heavy.
BTBAMS singer is legit as fuck!

Im surprised no one mentioned Protest the Hero. I mean his vocals are an acquired taste for sure (I myself used to hate them)

')