Best and worst vocalists.

• Thread starter Samer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting up in arms about someone elses opinion is how these threads go downhill fast.

Just stating my opinion mate. Didn't attack him personally or get upset, although the latter is hard to show through text.

Also I've seen Spencer live, and trust me he has plenty of power behind his voice. Still wouldn't rate him with the best, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
Best (IMO)
1. Chino Moreno - Deftones. He will always be my #1, his style and tone perfectly suits the style of music that is the Deftones. And his scream (circa 97-2001) is (imo) perfection.
2. Tommy Giles Rogers - Between the Buried and Me. Love his scream, love his singing tone, has CRAZY range, and can imitate VERY well, just listen to the cover album.
3. The singer from Chimaira - one of the best screams in metal, even though they suck now and haven't put out anything original in years.
4. Dallas Green - City & Color - okay, not exactly metal, but his singing voice is smooth as butta.
5. The guy from Filter - as someone previously said, great alternative rock vocals. Very clean.
6. Daryl Palumbo - Glassjaw. Original, psychotic, great scream, and a unique tone.
7. Doug Robb - Hoobastank. Always will be one of my all time favorite singers. I know he's comparable to Brandon Boyd but I actually like this guy more. So clean, powerful, poppy, and piercing.
8. John Mayer - some love him, some hate him, I personally love his voice.
9. Matthew Bellamy - Muse. Unique, passionate, and haunting.
10. Michael Akerfeldt - Opeth. I think everyone on here knows whats up.
11. The guy from Trapt - clean, good rock vocals.
12. Zach de la Rocha - Rage Against the Machine. Original, unmatched.

Worst (IMO)
1. Billy Corgan - Smashing Pumpkins. Don't get me wrong I LOVE LOVE the Pumpkins been a huge fan for well over 10 years. And I love Billy Corgan. But man sometimes he sounds like nails on a chalkboard.
2. Avenged Sevenfold guy - he just pisses me off and wants to sound like Metallica.
3. The guy from Jimmy Eat World - bland, annoying, nasally, all of em sound the same, and I just get sick of him SO quick.
4. Kings of Leon guy - fuckin kill me, I hate how chicks think his voice is sexy, he sounds like an autistic homeless guy.
5. Jack Johnson - I want to gouge my eyes out every time I hear his fake Hawaiian accent. You're WHITE. "Oh but hes just so chill, so relaxing!" I cannot stand it. Bland and boring and awful.
6. Seether/Theory of a Deadman/Default/Chris Daughtry/Nickelback/any alt rock singer circa 2006- now - please lie me down in front of a curb and curbstomp me like in American History X.
:wallbash:

TheSleeper

HACKA LÖKEN!
Reaction score
The lack of Gildenlöw is unacceptable.

Other favourites:
Hevy Devy
MJK
Jeff Buckley
Mike Patton
Eric Kalsbeek (Textures)
Stevie Wonder
Eddie Vedder
Mikael Åkerfeldt

Also:

And this guy deserves a million times the recognition he's got:

Metal fans may know him from the track Departer off Katatonia's Night is the New Day, but check out his work with Enter The Hunt. :hbang:

Least favourite vocalists then?
No one in particular comes to mind, but I really can't stand pig squeal type growls.
In general, I find a lot of growls and screams unconvincing or just ridiculous and/or annoying. :shrug: Like BTBAM. Or Nile.

Forresterc

Reaction score
I really, really, don't like Geddy Lee from Rush

And Devin Townsend is an excellent vocalist

I'm not going to cast a vote for "best" or "worst" because once you reach a certain level, you become too unique to be "better"

Edit: Spencer Sotelo probably shouldn't be on this list either way. If you hate him, thats fine, but he definitely isn't the worst vocalist out there. And he's neither the best, because looking through this list most of the "best" singers have a lot of experience and respectable careers to fall back upon. Calling him "best" after one album is quiet abrupt when comparing him to Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfedlt (which also, i'm my opinion, probably isn't the best out there...well, maybe the best in metal), and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score

Worst:- Brock Lindow (36 Crazyfists);Just horrific. It's a shame 'cos I really do enjoy a lot of their music. His screams can be good, but damn it's rare.
- Marilyn Manson; I love the music, but the man cannot sing.
- Wayne Static (Static-X); Hopeless lyrics, and a crap voice to boot.
- Robert Smith (The Cure); Wailing, whining stuff... not a fan.
- Chris Martin (Coldplay); What can i say, he's boring as shit.
- Till Lindemann (Rammstein); I just hate his vocal style. I don't feel likeit suits the music, and I dislike the fact that the lyrics are basically nonsense when translated. I'm not against untranslated lyrics, hell, half the music i listen to is german, but something about him really irks me.

COmpletely disagree with all of those. Brock is a really unique vocalist especially with his singing, and his screams while not the best in the world, I like. Marylin Manson on album is intense as fuck, but live he can be shit. Wayne Static I love! His voice was better in the old days but he's still good imo. Chris Martin I can kinda get, but I still think he's very talented.

But I disagree most of all with Till Lindermann. :lol: Without him, I couldn't listen to Rammstein, his prescence, his authorative vocals and lyrics are what make the band. Sometimes they don't make sense straight away when translated, but most of the time if I know the context of the song I find them easy enough to understand.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I dunno about worst (maybe the new guy in Attack Attack!? :lol:) but for best, definitely Kyo from Dir En Gray. He has like the WIDEST vocal range ever.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
jeff buckley

Is that best or worst?

Best:
Mike Patton.
Russell Allen.
Devin Townsend.

Not-quite-best-but-I-love-'em-anyway:
Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Bruce Dickinson. Actually Bruce should probably be in the "Best" category, but because his absence subjected the world to Blaze Bayley he gets demoted.
Ihsahn.
Guy Garvey (Elbow). Yeah it's not metal. Wanna fight?
Elvis Costello. Hasn't got a great range, but his voice just sounds awesome to me.

Worst:
Ozzy. Seriously, he's awful in every way, especially compared to his replacement.
David Lee Roth. Terrible singer, shockingly out of key/time/his head but incredibly entertaining live.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
I like...

Jesse Zaraska
Ryan Morgan
Nathan Winekke
Mikee/Justin
Eduardo Falascio
Russell Allen
Destrage's Vocalist
Ronny from BOO
Nathan from THA
Rody Walker
Eyes of a Traitor's vocalist (No idea on his name)

I hate...
Slam/Deathcore vocalists as a whole...
The singer from The Agony Scene
Most of Yngwie's vocalists

I really don't know the names of people I hate, and I cant access google from where I am

thefool

Reaction score
best:
frank zappa
dan from tesseract
devin townsend
chris baretto

worst
chris cornell
alice in chains guy
pearl jam guy
kurt cobain

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
best:
frank zappa
dan from tesseract
devin townsend
chris baretto

worst
chris cornell
alice in chains guy
pearl jam guy
kurt cobain

I never thought of Chris Cornell as the worst. My biggest problem with the pearl jam guy (Eddie Vedder) is that nearly every word is unintelligible, yet after Pearl Jam made it big, every guy and his brother tried to sound like him.

bulb

Reaction score
Best vocalist: ActII and ActIII era Casey Crescenzo just holy fucking shit ridiculous, Ian Kenny, Dustin Kensrue, Devin Fucking Townsend

Worst: Moi!

OwainXerath

Player of Notes
Reaction score
A few that spring to mind:

Best:
Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation)
Devin Townsend (duh)
Peter Dolving (The Haunted)
Ike Willis (Frank Zappa)
Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
Pepper Keenan (Corrosion of Conformity, an aqcuired taste, but I love his voice)
Mattias Eklundh (Freak Kitchen)

Worst:
That chap from BokenCyde
That chap from The Metros

iddqd

Reaction score
Even if i don't really like the band, i have to say that i think Corey Taylors voice (slipknot) is imho the most awesome voice for metal. I'd love to hear more voices like this. At least in terms of the studio production - he sung horrible live at the Dynamo open air.
Best versatile voice is imo of Mike Patton.

For female voices my vote goes for the girl of In This Moment.

I dont wanna say who is think is the worst singer, cuz this is simply a matter of taste.

Murmel

Reaction score
To my list of best vocalists I gotta add Tatsurou from Mucc. I've found that many Japanese vocalists have tendencies to sound alike, but Tatsurou has a really unique voice.

And I also want the Gretsch Falcon in this vid :lol:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score

COmpletely disagree with all of those. Brock is a really unique vocalist especially with his singing, and his screams while not the best in the world, I like. Marylin Manson on album is intense as fuck, but live he can be shit. Wayne Static I love! His voice was better in the old days but he's still good imo. Chris Martin I can kinda get, but I still think he's very talented.

But I disagree most of all with Till Lindermann. :lol: Without him, I couldn't listen to Rammstein, his prescence, his authorative vocals and lyrics are what make the band. Sometimes they don't make sense straight away when translated, but most of the time if I know the context of the song I find them easy enough to understand.

Brocks screams I really quite like (At The End Of August is one of my favorite songs so far as screams go), but his singing really pisses me off. Manson I love, but he really is a shit vocalist, especially live... but I do love his music (and his fucked up voice on album :lol:).

Wayne's voice was kind of interesting back in the day (Wisconsin Death Trip era), sort of a Metallica-meets-early-Korn sort of thing, but from Shadow Zone onwards his voice just lost any shred if originality or interest.

Chris Martin i don't think is talented or interesting in the slightest. He's a boring guy who makes (imo) incredibly boring music, and his voice emulates both of those facts... It's just so very dull and lifeless, not a shred of power in him.

As for Till, I just don't like his vocals. Or the band in general. I don't think what they do is particularly inspiring, nor do I think his vocals fit what they do and the fact that his lyrics are so god damn nonsensical doesn't help.

')