Best "apartment friendly" high gain amp?

• Thread starter Blitzie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I agree with what someone else said about a separate pre/power amp. My Peavey Rockmaster & Classic 60/60 setup sounds great at low volumes. Granted it sounds better cranked up a little more, but it still sounds very good. I play regularly until all hours of the night in my apartment without disturbing anyone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joey123456

Reaction score
I recorded a video of my Randall Diavlo RD1H (1 watt) at TV volume or lower. Sounds pretty good. Haven't found anything that sounds better at this volume (Ironball, e530 + Rocktron Velocity, Krankenstein 20W, 6505+, THR10x, Vypyr, Vox VT30, RG13, Mustang... I've wasted a lot of money as you can see). Haven't directly compared it with my 5150 iii. The 5150 iii definitely beats the Diavlo at "I'm the only person in a house playing guitar" volumes though.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Marshall JVM1.

Also, the Randall RD20 has an excellent master volume and sounds great at apartment levels; it just doesn't have the raw aggression of the JVM1.

p4vl

Reaction score
Doesn't an attenuator generate power tube distortion? It's my understanding that metal tone comes from the preamp section of the amp kicking the speakers in the ass.

Blitzie

Reaction score
In terms of attenuation, how does everyone feel about the Dr. Z Airbrake? I've got the chance to get one of those for about $200.

')