Best "apartment friendly" high gain amp?

• Thread starter Blitzie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzie

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

I see a ton of suggestions for the Ironheart. I'd love to play one before I buy one but the use prices on these are pretty crazy.

Some people suggested a modeling unit like an 11-rack. What's the difference between that and the amp simulation software that some people like? It seems like pretty much the same thing to me, except I won't need a power amp with the software.

Edit: unless I'd be able to use my Tremoverb as a power amp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

I see a ton of suggestions for the Ironheart. I'd love to play one before I buy one but the use prices on these are pretty crazy.

Some people suggested a modeling unit like an 11-rack. What's the difference between that and the amp simulation software that some people like? It seems like pretty much the same thing to me, except I won't need a power amp with the software.

Each modeling solution is a bit different, really. I have no experience with the 11 rack, but I'm told it is comparable to the PodHD units and probably a lot of software modelers.

There are computer-based ones as well, such as LePou, TSE, Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc. Many of them have free trials that you can try out to see if you like them. Though you will need an interface to plug your guitar into. You'll also need a decently quick computer (my laptop isn't fast enough to run most VST guitar sims without latency or popping/clicking when I play).

If you have an apple device such as an Ipad or Iphone (4s or better) you can use JamUp and Bias, which I'm really impressed with. Again, you'll need an interface to plug your guitar into your phone. The USB ones are more expensive, while the ones that plug in through the headphone jack can be relatively cheap. There are a few other iOS amp modelers though I didn't think they were better than JamUp and Bias together.

Also, for all of the above, you'll need some speakers or headphones. Studio monitors or studio monitor headphones are recommended over computer speakers or mass market headphones.

As you stated, you can use your tremoverb as the poweramp/cab. Just plug the line-out from whatever unit (interface, or 11 rack, or pod) into the fx return of your tremoverb. Or the line-in, if it has one.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Dude I owned that FJA you just sold before Tony did...was sick, loved the tones, couldn't ever get it above 2 at home. Just a waste.

Grabbed an iPad and an Apogee Jam and been using that ever since...there are a ton of great tones to be had in this stuff between all the apps. You can do Diezels and Mesas and 5150s or any combination you can think of and it sounds badass at low volumes. Easy to run in your FX loop to move air or use for silent playing through headphones or monitors...makes recording ideas or clips a breeze too.

Worked out a lot better for me for home use. Will never replace amps but still some cool shizz to mess around with...I've been using this stuff for over a year and it's just getting better as time goes on. The clip in my sig was a quick one day I got my M80M...not the best tones or indicative of how everything sounds, but ok as an example.

jbailes

Reaction score
Keep your eyes open as far as the used market is concerned. For instance, I recently scored an old mesa dc-5 for 600 and it's the sound I always wanted. Sounds great low too.

Ænima

Reaction score

dude even tho i just got my 5150 50w, i still want a laney Ironheart 60w head. lol they sound ....ing awesome, the 5150 is extremely tight, but thats ok because i have a modded 6505+ that isn't as tight, but has alot more "sag" ? in the distortion sustain, dont get me wrong, the 5150 50w is ....ing incredible and for only 999$? its seriously good quality,

ALL 3 channels are usable when set correctly, i use my mxr wylde overdrive with just a level boost, no gain and tone is set at noon for the clean channel, this way i can keep my blue channel nice and crunchy, and the lead channel obviously is a monster in its self

Thorerges

Reaction score
In my experience of using several bedroom amps, the ENGL ironball absolutely owns them all:

01_4_4.jpg

Slight drawback being the price. This thing costs a bit of money.

Endnote

Reaction score
Something else you may want to consider Blitz, is a load box that will let you silence your Tremoverb for those days you can't blow the house down. Ie the Two Notes Torpedo Live (way expensive at $995, but it does have a lot of options and good reviews) or something like that Mesa Cab Clone which someone noted earlier comes stock on the Mark V 25 watt, but is on sale by itself from Mesa (much more reasonable at $299). Both have a headphone out I believe, but what's more important is that you can keep the Tremoverb and still utilize the Tremoverb's pre and power amp sections. I only bring this up because every tube amp that I've played from 5 to 100 watts still needed to be cranked to sound their best. But these loadboxes seem to have a good thing going for them, check out the demos online.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
Something else you may want to consider Blitz, is a load box that will let you silence your Tremoverb for those days you can't blow the house down. Ie the Two Notes Torpedo Live (way expensive at $995, but it does have a lot of options and good reviews) or something like that Mesa Cab Clone which someone noted earlier comes stock on the Mark V 25 watt, but is on sale by itself from Mesa (much more reasonable at $299). Both have a headphone out I believe, but what's more important is that you can keep the Tremoverb and still utilize the Tremoverb's pre and power amp sections. I only bring this up because every tube amp that I've played from 5 to 100 watts still needed to be cranked to sound their best. But these loadboxes seem to have a good thing going for them, check out the demos online.

I would also consider a thd hotplate as well.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Ænima;4177895 said:
dude even tho i just got my 5150 50w, i still want a laney Ironheart 60w head. lol they sound ....ing awesome
They truly do, and they have the knob to allow you to go from 1 watt to 60 watts or anywhere in between, so it can be a bedroom or a live amp. It's an awesome amp.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I was also in the same situation, was looking for a low wattage high gain amp to suit apartment playing. Initially I was chasing the Randall RD20H, it was good, but didn't blow me away. I tried the Laney IRT studio, that is an awesome bit of kit, load and loads of features and tones, but EL power tubes and I just coldnt quite dial THE tone I was looking for. Enter the Randall RD100H, I tried it for shits and giggles and was instantly hooked, sounded better at low volume, better tone control, better VOLUME control most of all, had a much bigger usable low volume range than the RD20 and IRT S. My point being, don't rule out some of the bigger amps especially the new range of Randalls!

Vrollin

Reaction score
If you're looking at Hot Plates attenuators / take a look at the Mesa Boogie Cab Clone.

Did anyone happen to see the Andertons demo they did of this cab clone ab'd to an actual cab. Cab clone was shithouse!

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Did anyone happen to see the Andertons demo they did of this cab clone ab'd to an actual cab. Cab clone was shithouse!

Unless they've already redone it, they're putting another video up (and taking down the original) because the mesa guys contacted them and were saying that the one they demoed was probably defective.

Blitzie

Reaction score
I thought the Cabclone WASN'T an attenuator? On a related note, I haven't gotten to try the Mark V 25W yet, that may end up being a good solution. But it doesn't have a master volume, so I don't know.

I considered getting an attenuator but haven't heard great things about using one at all. I also don't know if I'll like the way the amp sounds using it.

I like the idea of using amp sim software, since I can find an interface for almost nothing and I already have pretty decent headphones.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
The CabClone is a load box which means you can use it without a cabinet and it also has analog cabinet modeling so you can use it with headphones or plug direct.

The issue with attenuators is getting a good one. You want one with a reactive load and not resistive.

I always recommend:
Weber Mass
Bad Cat Unleash
Rivera Rockcrusher
Two Note Torpedo Reload

Elric

Reaction score
Tube amps are generally crappy tools for what you're trying to do. Modellers provide the best apartment volume tone, IMHO. That and direct are their forte'... Lots of options. Get a vypyr or something to supplement if you don't want to give up your T-verb.

It's like you have a Ferrari and a wife and kids and you say "Hey how can I make this Ferrari better for when I have to drive the kids to school? Or more like can someone recommend ANOTHER 2 seat exotic sports coupe to take the kids to school with, for someone reason this Ferrari doesn't work well for that?"

You don't want to hear it but the best thing to get is probably a sedan or SUV or something.

Der JD

Reaction score
If you can afford it, get a good attenuator/loadbox. That will allow you to use any amp quietly (through a cab and/or DAW/cab sims) or completely silently (headphones/DAW/cab sims). Torpedo Reload or Rivera Rockcrusher are good options.

IMO, this type of setup beats any modeler (including the Axe II and Kemper- I've owned both) in terms of tone and feel for direct playing/recording.

')