Best bands guitar tone?

• Thread starter Daemoniac
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
Devin Townsend and Jed Simon on Alien for Strapping is one of my favourites. I also rate Petrucci, LTE and Dream Theater have some awesome sounding tones. The older Fear Factory JCM800 sound is also up there, as well as the DEI/Chaosphere Meshuggah tone.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
For clean/textural sounds: Rush, Queensryche and The Police.

For heavier sounds, I've been really liking Eric Petersen's 'Formation of Damnation' tone recently. For seven-string stuff, Loomis' tone on 'Zero Order Phase' was fantastic, and Fear Factory's 'Demanufacture' is still one of my benchmarks.

For lead tones, Holdsworth, Garsed, Vai, Morse and Yngwie are always good.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Iced Earth on Something Wicked.

Dragonland on Astronomy.

Nocturnal Rites on Grand Illusion.

Scar Symmetry on Pitch Black Progress.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get completely laughed at for this, but i have to say that Nickelback has some of the best recorded guitar and bass tones in modern rock. They're thick and heavy with a nice grind, and the guitars, bass and drums all sit perfectly in the mix.

i honestly think their tone sounds pretty good. it's their music i have a problem with. no judgement here... :yesway:

i also like vai a lot. he always seems to have the right tone at the right time.

HeavyMetal4Ever

Reaction score
Like a couple of other have said, Eric Petersen's tone on Formation of Damnation has been a favourite of mine lately.

Some others I really like are Petrucci's tone on Images and Words, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, Peace of Mind and Powerslave, Satriani's tone on Crystal Planet and Swansong by Carcass to name but a few.

Rock on! :hbang:

Last edited:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score

For heavier sounds, I've been really liking Eric Petersen's 'Formation of Damnation' tone recently. For seven-string stuff, Loomis' tone on 'Zero Order Phase' was fantastic, and Fear Factory's 'Demanufacture' is still one of my benchmarks.

Damn you and your similar taste-ness-ittude :) (apart from Morse, not a huge fan of his tone but his playing rocks)

Yeah, Demanufacture is still awesome - I'm also a fan of Chris Poland's lead tone, and let us not forget Devin has some of the most massive tones ever for my money. I guess if I really had to settle for "my" choice of tone it would be Dino on Demanufacture for rhythm, and Chris Poland with a little more gain/aggression for lead.

Secret 80's admission - John Sykes tone on Whitesnake's 1987 was fucking amazing - but he did blow tubes in his Coliseum head every 6 weeks or so :)

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
The tone on Trap Them's newest album is fucking sick. Not full-on buzzsaw, but very raunchy and crunchy. Mmmmmmm mmmmm.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Opeth

The middle break in Zombie, Inc. by In Flames has one of my favorite tones ever.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
[/quote]another one of my favourite guitar tones is on Martriden's album The Unsettling Dark, I think that's ENGL Powerballs. that album was engineered by James Murphy, who also engineered The Absence's album Riders of the Plague.[/quote]

+1 Martriden's album sounds insane, not suprised that it was the same engineer as the newest Absence.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Best tones

Devin Townsend
Steve Vai
Shawn Lane
Tony Macalpine
Dave Weiner
Stunz and Farah

in no order really, all of these guys have the perfect tone for what they do (or did, in Lane's case)

Reaction score

Andy Summers has godly tone.

For clean stuff......

I'll have to go with Steve Rothery and Andy Latimer, without a doubt.

As for lead......

Steve Morse, Greg Howe and Steve Howe.

And as a testament to Rother's amazing tone (he's squeezing this out of a practice amp and an off the shelf Squier)

Inazone

Reaction score
another one of my favourite guitar tones is on Martriden's album The Unsettling Dark, I think that's ENGL Powerballs. that album was engineered by James Murphy, who also engineered The Absence's album Riders of the Plague.

Yes! My band has had the good fortune to play with both Martriden and The Absence, and they sound quite good live as well, which is saying something when playing venues that don't necessarily have the best sound quality. On their respective albums, I think Mr. Murphy's influence is very apparent. Then again, his work on Testament's Low (along with Eric Peterson) is among my favorites. His lead tone has a certain vocal quality to it, and it's extremely fluid.

My personal favorite Christofer Malmstrom of Darkane and Non-Human Level, who has a violin/cello-type tone on a lot of his solos AND incredibly tight riffing. Jon Nodtveidt from Dissection (RIP) and Jerry Cantrell are also favorites, especially for the really melodic stuff, and Dimension Zero's first album had some great rhythm tones.

It really depends on the musical style, and usually specifically lead or rhythm. Few guitarists seem to have excellent tone for both.

Reaction score
Adam Jones from Tool

This guy isn't even a technically accomplished player, but when his guitar makes noise it sounds like an orgasm.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get completely laughed at for this, but i have to say that Nickelback has some of the best recorded guitar and bass tones in modern rock. They're thick and heavy with a nice grind, and the guitars, bass and drums all sit perfectly in the mix.

Nothing wrong with that at all. They use Mesas with EMGs. You're gonna get pretty decent tone out of that.

I like FF/Obsolete, Unearth/The Oncoming Storm, and Apartment 26/Music For The Massive as my favorite 3.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I love the tone on holographic universe by scar symmetry. It sounds pretty damn awesome. I also like darkest hours tone on undoing ruin and deliver us (engineered by devin townsend).

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Andy Summers has godly tone.

For clean stuff......

I'll have to go with Steve Rothery and Andy Latimer, without a doubt.

As for lead......

Steve Morse, Greg Howe and Steve Howe.

And as a testament to Rother's amazing tone (he's squeezing this out of a practice amp and an off the shelf Squier)

The added body mass probably helps in that instance. I love Marillion (haven't clocked them for a while) but I had no idea Steve had become that comfortable with his living - still a great player however :)

Let's have some Latimer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLarYtjkPRA

')