Best bang-for-the-buck hardtail 6 string?

• Thread starter TheGuitarPit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robski92

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking around for an RGA321 but only found a couple for sale...all $900+

RGA321's are usually a bit more expensive compared to the 121's unfortunately. I have 2 121's though and I love them to death!

Metropolis

Reaction score
... Or something from ESP LTD 1000-series. Having an ESP LTD AJ-1 Andy James signature right now, and it's solid good quality instrument all around. Korean Signature series is kind of same thing with Deluxe. Schecters also from same factory, as suggested.

If you want sharp fret ends, get Ibanez RGAIX6FM :lol:

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
ESP/LTD Deluxe 1000 series (either an H or MH-NT) or a PRS SE Holcomb.
Personally all the Korean Schecter's I've played have been great too.... there are a lot of models to choose from with Schecter too (SLS series, Banshees, KM's, Hellraiser Hybrids).

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
my holcomb is flawless.
and frankly everything that comes out of WMI in that price range is top shelf.

I thought we were past the "ermahgerd why so much moneyzz for korean guitarz wtfff" complains. cmon people, its 2017.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Ibanez and Schecter are the two brands that immediately come to mind... however several brand new axes from both companies have been really bad... unloved frets, dead spots, shape fret ends, twisted necks, non-functional truss rods... buyer beware.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
Ibanez and Schecter are the two brands that immediately come to mind... however several brand new axes from both companies have been really bad... unloved frets, dead spots, shape fret ends, twisted necks, non-functional truss rods... buyer beware.

Sounds a bit extreme. Is this personal experience or?

DarthV

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking around for an RGA321 but only found a couple for sale...all $900+. The RG 652 looks like it can be found much cheaper, so maybe that's a good route. Even changing the pickups on a used one looks like it'll be way under $900 of the other options. Thanks! Great replies, I didn't expect all the helpful info.

Well the rga321 does have quite the nice finished arch top and were higher priced than the 121's. When buying used, you just need to be patient. Differences between the 121 and the 652 would be the better stock pickups and locking machine heads on the 652. So if you like the TZ/AN pups, you're golden with the 652.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I give another vote for a 652. Best bang for your buck IMO that's why I bought one and have zero complaints.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
Jackson slattxmg3-6 is currently being sold with discount for certain color (around 400-500 ish). Basswood, EMG81/85 (swap em out if you want), tonepros bridge, pretty solid guitar for what you pay for I'd say

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
my holcomb is flawless.
and frankly everything that comes out of WMI in that price range is top shelf.

I thought we were past the "ermahgerd why so much moneyzz for korean guitarz wtfff" complains. cmon people, its 2017.

I think a lot of those arguments are directed towards the WMI instruments that are pushing 1500-2000$ while the factory is also making 600$~ guitars of the same quality. To each their own though, at higher price points id rather get a top shelf japanese guitar or even MIA.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
Pick up a used MIJ Ibanez/Jackson. They're all over the place, cheap, and reliable instruments.
I second that. I got my SLSMG for $400 a few years ago at Guitar Center in such good condition you wouldn't have known it was used if it didn't say so. It was my also my first time owning a neck-thru and won't be the last. My only complaint about it was I really didn't care for the sound of the 81 & 85 but swapping them took care of that. I love the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck(though I very rarely use it).

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
PRS SE (Korean, not the new Chinese Standard line) or Ibanez SZ. Great players and, ironically, both came from the same factory (WMI). SZs were discontinued just before Ibanez moved to their own factory in Indonesia, IIRC . Either one will run about $350 used. Check here, Reverb, and the GC used site.

')