Best bang-for-the-buck hardtail 6 string?

• Thread starter TheGuitarPit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I think a lot of those arguments are directed towards the WMI instruments that are pushing 1500-2000$ while the factory is also making 600$~ guitars of the same quality. To each their own though, at higher price points id rather get a top shelf japanese guitar or even MIA.

yeah definitely, and maybe I've been lucky/unlucky so far but as things stands given my personal experience, i'd rather get a 1k+ guitar made in Korea than one made in the states.
Honestly i dont know how Gibson can get away with some of the stuff they put out for a thousand bucks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
used ibanez prestige rga121? killer guitars and you can find one under $800 pretty easily.

800 is way too much for a very basic prestige.

600 is reasonable for a mint stock 121

Mathemagician

Reaction score
If you can grab a hardtail EVH guitar, those have been pretty all-around fantastic from what I've played.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I've had better luck with chinese Squiers than Schecter and Ibanez Prestige. Guitar shopping is kind of crazy these days. There are amazing guitars for $250 and even less, and hunks of junk pushing $1,000.

HoustonJr

Reaction score
Picked up a LTD TE-200 last summer. Threw in a Duncan Distortion/Jazz pickup combo and some locking tuners. Thing rips.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
5107800868_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

I own a couple of these and can't recommend them more... ridiculous features and quality... and you can pick them up for $900 new or $600-700 used.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
5107800868_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

I own a couple of these and can't recommend them more... ridiculous features and quality... and you can pick them up for $900 new or $600-700 used.

+1.

Those things are fantastic....asymmetrical neck, compound radius, locking nut and bridge, SS frets and awesome pickups. Sound and play great for anything...cleans all the way to drop A brutality.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
I've had better luck with chinese Squiers than Schecter and Ibanez Prestige. Guitar shopping is kind of crazy these days. There are amazing guitars for $250 and even less, and hunks of junk pushing $1,000.

Yeah no....

One honda breaking down doesn't mean hondas are bad cars...

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
Ibanez SZ!

+1

I have an SZ720 that I bought new 12 years ago (paid like $500 I think). Now you can find them for around $300 (or even less) depending on where you look.

I've never owned a Prestige version, but they are usually harder to find.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
+1.

Those things are fantastic....asymmetrical neck, compound radius, locking nut and bridge, SS frets and awesome pickups. Sound and play great for anything...cleans all the way to drop A brutality.

This is the one. It's basically a mini-JP6, as far as it's new price point goes. Even the trem on has an OFR. So specs wise these are sharp.

pfizer

Reaction score
PRS SE for me personally is an incredible bang for the buck guitar. They've started putting Paul's signature on the headstock like the core models, making it look a little less cheap. The wide-thin neck profile isn't exactly as thin as an Ibanez, but still plenty thin for shredding and rhythm work.

Another recent company with great value guitars is Chapman Guitars. They just unveiled their new line-up at NAMM, and they've got some pretty cool stuff. IIRC, the guitars are built by the same folks that build the PRS SE models, so that's a pretty good standard right there.

Yianni54

Reaction score
Ibanez Prestige
SCHECTERS are good value
Caparison dellinger for a few more bucks

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
Ibanez Prestige
SCHECTERS are good value
Caparison dellinger for a few more bucks

Caparisons should never be mentioned with "bang for the buck"

A used prestige literally does the same thing for 1/3 the price of a used caparison.

pylyo

Reaction score
Check FGN guitars too. Amazing quality, fretwork and great pickups, made in Japan. You can get them for silly price too, if you look around a bit. I love mine just as much as my 10x more expensive guitars.

464e3d2f8da9f683d6b50e438de8dc50.jpg

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
Small update: Found a Kiesel DC600 on Reverb for $800. It has a tune-o-matic style bridge and 25" scale, so it's not -exactly- what I wanted, but I think it'll fill the role quite nicely. If it doesn't do it for me, I'm pretty confident I can sell it without taking a huge loss. So many good recommendations in this thread. I'd end up with 50 guitars if I had the funds...

edit: orrrr i've made a huge mistake. guess we'll see!

Check FGN guitars too. Amazing quality, fretwork and great pickups, made in Japan. You can get them for silly price too, if you look around a bit. I love mine just as much as my 10x more expensive guitars.

464e3d2f8da9f683d6b50e438de8dc50.jpg

That is soooo clean. Love it.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Small update: Found a Kiesel DC600 on Reverb for $800. It has a tune-o-matic style bridge and 25" scale, so it's not -exactly- what I wanted, but I think it'll fill the role quite nicely. If it doesn't do it for me, I'm pretty confident I can sell it without taking a huge loss. So many good recommendations in this thread. I'd end up with 50 guitars if I had the funds...

edit: orrrr i've made a huge mistake. guess we'll see!

That is soooo clean. Love it.

used guitars that have been vetted and played especially by people here are ok.
Don't go out of your way to deal with kiesel customer service.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Schecter KM (if you like hardtail) or JL (if you want trem) are best value used guitars by far.. 3pc neck with carbon rods, SS frets, high quality overall for under $800 usually.. can't beat that (unless you find a used Carvin)

')