Best bang-for-the-buck hardtail 6 string?

• Thread starter TheGuitarPit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
used guitars that have been vetted and played especially by people here are ok.
Don't go out of your way to deal with kiesel customer service.

Used guitars are actually more likely to have factory issues. There is usually a reason someone is selling a "mint" "hardly played" guitar at a huge loss.

Schecter KM (if you like hardtail) or JL (if you want trem) are best value used guitars by far.. 3pc neck with carbon rods, SS frets, high quality overall for under $800 usually.. can't beat that (unless you find a used Carvin)

A used 1527 with the best case on the market and better quality for $600-700 beats that

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Used guitars are actually more likely to have factory issues. There is usually a reason someone is selling a "mint" "hardly played" guitar at a huge loss.

A used 1527 with the best case on the market and better quality for $600-700 beats that

not if you no what you are doing.
this isn't a fly market or a pawn shop. People here are addicted to gas. I've sold dozens of perfect guitars.

cip 123

Reaction score

A KM with stainless frets, duncans, carbon rods, luminlay, and hipshot hardware for a bit more, while still being well built trumps a 1527.

It's bang for your buck, you get a nice playing guitar with a 1527 but you get a nice playing guitar with more features with a KM or JL hardtail.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
A KM with stainless frets, duncans, carbon rods, luminlay, and hipshot hardware for a bit more, while still being well built trumps a 1527.

It's bang for your buck, you get a nice playing guitar with a 1527 but you get a nice playing guitar with more features with a KM or JL hardtail.

Edge pro + better neck and fret work >>> stainless frets, duncans, hipshot, inferior quality etc. No one even cares about carbon fiber rods.

Used 1527s also usually come with a prestige case and pre upgraded pickups while being cheaper.

Same reason why everyone agrees prestige >>> fancy spec'ed premiums

Shask

Reaction score
Edge pro + better neck and fret work >>> stainless frets, duncans, hipshot, inferior quality etc. No one even cares about carbon fiber rods.

Used 1527s also usually come with a prestige case and pre upgraded pickups while being cheaper.

I always hate when people say "better neck"..... the main difference between Ibanez and Schecter is NECK SHAPE!

Ibanez has a wider flatter D-shaped neck. Schecter has a narrower rounder C-shaped neck. That is the most important difference. Honestly, I would take a Schecter over Ibanez, because I can't play Ibanez necks without my wrist hurting.

JYNX2

Reaction score
I love the way charvel feels and sounds and the price is pretty compelling.

cip 123

Reaction score

Well considering OP wants hardtail I think you can agree hipshot>edge pro. Plus I don't think theres anyone on sso who dislikes hipshot product, they're great.

Every Schecter I've owned has had good fretwork and my prestige wasn't much better, give the schecter a setup and it's equally as good. Quality is good, again of the multiple schecters i've owned they've been stellar. I've had one Ibby prestige which while it was good the nickel frets were annoying compared to stainless.

Also necks are subjective, and I like carbon rods as I don't have to set up my guitar everytime the weather changes.

Your argument for this Ibby hangs on the fact that OP might want a hardcase :lol:

Reaction score
The old ebmm sub 1 is pretty amazing. You can get a high quality mia guitar for like $400.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I disagree. At least, the one nice guitar I sold in my life (RG2228A) had nothing wrong with it. I was moving internationally and I wasn't in love with it, and that was enough for me to sell it.

When I see someone selling a nice guitar, I'm usually more under the impression that
1) They're trying to fund another nice guitar
or
2) They've grown out of their GAS (or are being forced) and are shedding guitars that they don't play as comparatively often
or
3) They bought a guitar that they wanted to try but it's not to their taste and they've given up trying to force themselves to like it.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
I'll go completely against the grain here.

Hunt down a 90's Gibson LP Studio, with a 60's neck if you want a shredder. The only modern upgrade they need (IMO) are locking tuners. Nowadays I even think the stock PU's are more than ok :D

Reactions: fps

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
I've purchased a bunch of guitars since I made this thread. Here's how it went:

Kiesel DC600: I liked this, but the neck was a bit thick for me. For some reason I never really bonded with this one. Great build quality and no issues, it just didn't stick. Ended up selling it. I like the "thin" option on Kiesels, which this didn't have.

Ibanez RG652ahmfx Prestige: Build quality is great, pickups are fine (not real exciting), neck is crazy thin. Great axe for the price. The case is awesome too.

PRS SE Holcomb: Split on this one. The pickups are the best of the bunch, without a doubt. Build quality seems alright, but I've already replaced the nut and tuners. Not sure that I love the flat radius. White neck binding looks cheap.

TL;DR: I think the right answer was buying the RG652, and adding the Holcomb pickups to it. But hey, now I know :)

Side note: I also picked up a UV777BK on eBay and ended up playing that the MOST out of all of them. Ironically it's neither 6 string, nor hardtail. Guess I don't know what the hell I want.

The old ebmm sub 1 is pretty amazing. You can get a high quality mia guitar for like $400.

I saw that on Reverb the other day. I bet that thing is a steal.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've had better luck with chinese Squiers than Schecter and Ibanez Prestige. Guitar shopping is kind of crazy these days. There are amazing guitars for $250 and even less, and hunks of junk pushing $1,000.

I love the crap outta my new Infinity Jazzmaster. Even the pickups are fine, but swapping them for covered LTD LH150's and push/push pots for single coil and parallel options. I also have a standard strat that's great, and a Bullet I'm upgrading. After getting everything jacked 4 years ago and all the bumps my stuff takes in the truck, I just can't see investing highly in another guitar.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
super pissed that those Tunomatic EVH's with the locking nut dont exist at a good price point anymore, those look wicked.

')