Best bass monitoring for my setup

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Curious if anyone had any suggestions I might be overlooking in my current setup. I'm trying to get back into bass this year, and not going down the heavy prog stuff at all, mostly like 70s stuff. Found a jazz bass I'll probably buy this week, and now I'm turning to the amp stuff.

Currently I have an EBS Fafner II, but no cab for it. It has a line out, and doesn't need a load according to the EBS guys. So options are kind of like:

-- buy a 1x12/1x15/2x10 for it. Looking mostly at Glockenklang. I'm in a high-rise apartment sort of thing so I can't play at "normal" volume, but I think there's some concrete stuff I could put a small cab on, play at TV volume, and it wouldn't vibrate through the floor.

-- run it to my interface and out to a set of Adam A7Xs. I'm not sure if my fears are justified, but I feel like they sound like they're struggling a bit. I'm not sure if monitors are pretty much always safe, or you have to approach it like playing bass into a guitar cab. Would appreciate anyone clarifying for me. Maybe I need a cab sim or something? It just didn't sound quite right to me.

-- ? some unknown option. Maybe buy some headphones for the purpose, but would rather have an in the room sound all things considered. Seems easier to play along with stuff.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. I haven't followed bass gear the past couple of years so there's probably cool stuff I'm overlooking.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You're right it doesn't need a load, and only has a line out, because it's only a preamp - no power. This works with your Adam option, but not your cab option - as you'd need a poweramp. Or a powered cab, at least. They probably exist but I'm not aware of any powered coloured bass cabs - only powered FRFR monitors (like your Adams but bigger and for live, what Axe FX guys use etc. and you may still want a cab sim).
The Adams shouldn't be struggling especially if they aren't totally cranked (which is pretty loud - definitely loud enough for your living situation). Try a cab sim indeed, I love the hi-fi FRFR monitor sound, but a cab sim instantly adds a good amount of heft and flavour.

I play music

Reaction score
You're right it doesn't need a load, and only has a line out, because it's only a preamp - no power.
I think you must be confusing the amp with something else. The EBS Fafner II has a 750W power amp afaik...
I'm in a high-rise apartment sort of thing so I can't play at "normal" volume, but I think there's some concrete stuff I could put a small cab on, play at TV volume, and it wouldn't vibrate through the floor.
Search for "decoupling pedestal", never tried one but I think it should help. There are ones specifically made for guitar and bass cabs but I have also seen something like it for washing machines just in case that's easier or cheaper to get hold of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely go with monitors for your situation. All day. Just run an IR loader of some sort in your DAW.

Those monitors are meant to be full range, so they shouldn't have a problem with bass.

shadscbr

Reaction score
Even though you are not playing loud, I think an Adam Sub8 or similar would fill things in for a nice in the room bass sound :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Hell you're right, not sure what I was thinking of now :lol:
Looked it up, correct it wouldn't need a load so line out to monitors is just fine.
I am into extended range bass and used to own Fearful cabs. I have a Zilla 1x12 at the moment. I just got some Adam A77X, a bit beefier than yours for sure, but I'm shocked at how good they are for bass even detuned an octave. I highly recommend the Redwirez SVT810 impulse pack, really great for improving the low end of a DI

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Good advice. I really hate the thought of spending all day on a laptop at work and coming home, sitting down in front of it again for my fun time. Maybe I'll get an IR loader like that Mooer Radar thing and hope that improves the sound I hear coming through the Adams, and yea, maybe try to add a sub.

Also helps that the guy with the Glockenklang 1x12 I wanted won't ship here. Bass cabs in Japan are quite pricey.

laxu

Reaction score
I
Search for "decoupling pedestal", never tried one but I think it should help. There are ones specifically made for guitar and bass cabs but I have also seen something like it for washing machines just in case that's easier or cheaper to get hold of.

Or just use a chair. It does a good enough job and puts the cab closer to your ears so you can hear it better and are thus less likely to play through it too loud.

I play music

Reaction score
Or just use a chair. It does a good enough job and puts the cab closer to your ears so you can hear it better and are thus less likely to play through it too loud.
13546231_800.jpg

13546246_800.jpg

Something like this might be a bit more elegant than a chair. But whatever suits you. If you have a spare chair and it works for you, go ahead.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
Just know that there is no way short of building a room within a room that will stop bass frequencies through propogating through the walls and floors of your apartment.

Save some money and buy a good preamp pedal, headphone amp, and headphones if you don’t want your neighbors to hate you.

A-Branger

Reaction score
get yourself a copy of the Amplitube Ampeg for bass. Sounds great to play plug into your interface.

if not get a Bass cab IR into your computer and be done. Or no cab at all. Majority of live and recording bass are made with a DI track

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
For super low volumes I have run pedal preamps directly into my studio monitors (usually just one KRK). It wont shake the house and the sound will be a bit hifi, but it's something.