Best bet for a 7 string between $500-850 used

• Thread starter Shadowspecced
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
I know there is a million threads just like this, but most are old, and I don't wanna hijack them with my own opinions and preferences..

Most of my guitars that I really play are pretty expensive, and it's easy to tell why when I pick them up, so going to something in this price range, while it isn't really cheap, can often be kind of difficult, and I'm not looking to do heavy mods besides my own setup and a pickup swap.

Especially for lower tuning, I definitely want something pretty bright sounding, so I don't think ebony boards and mahogany necks and bodies are really gonna do it for me, just a little to dark sounding.

I don't necessarily like an extremely thin neck, but I'm also kind of a firm believer that if the guitar is well built, and made to be played comfortably and sound good, that your preference specs may as well be thrown own the window, and the guitars I own pretty much prove this theory.

Sevenstrings I've played and liked were one of the Caparison sevens with 24 frets and a little stacked single coil in the neck position, an Anderson drop top seven, and a couple of JP's.. Some that I've played and didn't like were, an Agile interceptor, stock Ibanez 7321 (I really do like Ibanez's, this guitar was just shitty.) And one of the cheap Jackson soloist ones with the giant headstocks (again, I am a jackson fan, it just sucked).

So I know this whole thing is kind of unorganized, so for any clarification, it'd be much easier for me to just answer a question, then try to cover everything I like in a guitar in the thread. I'm open to alot as long as it's good. And I'm not as picky as I sound here especially since it's my first seven, I just don't want something with fret ends that are gonna cut my fingers open, and have to start changing bridges, nuts and tuners and dress the frets to get it to stay in tune and play right.

I'm sure I'll get some good suggestions, and ask any questions you have to make your pick easier.. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used RG7620 with a pickup swap. You can find them for bellow your price range and they're extremely well built.

They aren't legendary on here for no reason.

As for tone, Basswood is really good at emphasizing the mids and rolls off highs and lows slightly, the bolt-on maple neck will also ensure the guitar doesn't get too dark.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Used RG7620 with a pickup swap. You can find them for bellow your price range and they're extremely well built.

They aren't legendary on here for no reason.

As for tone, Basswood is really good at emphasizing the mids and rolls off highs and lows slightly, the bolt-on maple neck will also ensure the guitar doesn't get too dark.

^ this if you get a good one (some sound dead,some sound great , most play great)
you'll be all set.
Also, the Loomis is a pretty bright 7 and well made , if the larger neck profile and longer scale doesn't turn you off , I'd look at one of those too.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Haha, I meant to mention, no EMG's please, and signature models, especially blatant ones with stupid inlays, really turn me off lol

geofreesun

Reaction score
7620/7621s are awesome solid guitars. with your price range, i think carvins should not be left out~ i got my all koa dc727 for below 600 :)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
7620/7621s are awesome solid guitars. with your price range, i think carvins should not be left out~ i got my all koa dc727 for below 600 :)

Carvins are certainly something to look into, especially used ones. Heck, a properly spec'd new one can come out under $1K pretty easily.

mountainjam

Reaction score
The mij s7420 has the same build quality as the rg7620.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
a used Carvin would also be a good choice, the days when you could grab a used one for dirt cheap seem to be gone though.
I loved the DC727 I had, it was a great guitar. (I never should've sold it) :(

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
If you grab a Carvin with a tung-oiled neck and stainless steel jumbo frets, you'll have a leg up over pretty much every production guitar out there because those are game-changing options you just can't find off the shelf (or without spending thousands more on a full custom). And the overall quality is, in my experience (just ordered my 4th last month) unsurpassed. Little details impress, like the tightness of the knobs, the uniformity of the fretwork, the perfection of the finish, the firm "click" of the selector and coil taps, etc.

Bouillestfu

Reaction score
And here I am to throw in the AGILE-Bomb! I've got myself a Septor Elite NEW for around 790$; Straight-through neck, Duncan Blackouts, fixed bridge. Good quality guitars at a great price. They have IMO the biggest 7-string selection around. Multiple finishes, scale lengths, fretboards, neck construction, pick-up options, bridge options.

If you buy an Ibanez 7620/7621, for exemple your only option (upon purchase) is color (if you're lucky).

Just food for thought.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Haha, I meant to mention, no EMG's please, and signature models, especially blatant ones with stupid inlays, really turn me off lol

Pff how can you not love UV's though haha. Also I agree used 7620 or a Carvin

')