Best bet for a 7 string between $500-850 used

• Thread starter Shadowspecced
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

infernalservice

Reaction score
+1 on the 7620. Just saw one go for around 350. I bought a "project" condition one for 250 a while back and it plays great.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
If you grab a Carvin with a tung-oiled neck and stainless steel jumbo frets, you'll have a leg up over pretty much every production guitar out there because those are game-changing options you just can't find off the shelf (or without spending thousands more on a full custom).

a tung oiled neck is something practically anyone can do for less than $15...

after tung oiling my RG7620s, i did it to all my other guitars that i still play... it feels sooo amazing... sooo smooth, almost velvety feeling...

im gonna vote for a RG7620.... because they are such a great deal for the money and upgrading/customizing them make them even more badass...

you cant really go wrong w/buying RG7620... and once you do then:

-throw in some BKPs
-re-finish the neck (w/tung oil or tru oil)
-replace that crappy stock trem block w/a big brass block

and if the frets ever need work, theyre big enough to get several dressings/pleks before they wear out and need re-fretting

not to mention, the lo-pro edge is like a god-send... its fucking amazing.. i go all steve vai on mine and its as solid as the rock of gibraltar

Daken1134

Reaction score
DEFINATELY a 7620, i just put up a NGD where i got one with a case for $300 and its my favorite 7 ive played

mountainjam

Reaction score
i completely disagree. never had any problems from any of the trems on my S7's:shred:

totally agree. def not the best trem around, but certainly underrated. i've never had any trouble with it either.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Is it true that Carvin stock pickups aren't very good and that regular-sized pickups won't fit?

DMONSTER

SS.org Dweller
Reaction score
Ibanez RG7621 absolutely the greatest guitar I have ever laid hands on, now i havent played too many high end guitars, or maybe not any high end guitars at all
but I do know that those old MIJ necks = a very happy me

Plus I paid much less than $500 for it too :D :D

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Ebony is NOT a dark-sounding wood!!

Yeah, ebony is very dense and hard. BUT, how much the fingerboard actually influences the tone, well... let the debate begin... again...

Just for reference, my Washburn HM has a carbon-glass-epoxy-composite fingerboard, and it's a very warm sounding guitar. But it's all mahogany. I've always picked my fingerboard materials for feel and aesthetics rather than really worrying about any effect it might have on the tone.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Another vote for Carvin, have only heard great things about them.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
old MIJ necks = a very happy me

THIS!!! i have played a few other legendary 7s (including the APEX1 and RG1527RB) and it seems like the new ibanez necks arent really my thing..

but the older ones are just fucking amazing... and to me, its all about the super comfortable neck profiles...

newer ibbys are just too D-shaped and square feeling to me

pstol

Reaction score
I have a certain RG7620 with lundgren m7's (bridge and neck), tremol-no, and dimarzio locking strap that I may be looking to get rid of. If this appeals to you, you can always shoot me a PM and we can talk :) It sounds pretty close to what you're looking for.

')