Best brand of strings

skymonster

Reaction score
what is the best brand of guitar string for 8 string? i was thinking Ernie Ball 2238 Extra Slinky RPS 8 Electric Guitar Strings

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
what is the best brand of guitar string for 8 string? i was thinking Ernie Ball 2238 Extra Slinky RPS 8 Electric Guitar Strings

Whatever your favorite brand of guitars strings is for 6 and 7 strings. Just add another string or 2 and you're golden!

Most here will agree that building your own custom sets is the way to go for 8's.

skymonster

Reaction score
Whatever your favorite brand of guitars strings is for 6 and 7 strings. Just add another string or 2 and you're golden!

Most here will agree that building your own custom sets is the way to go for 8's.

why?

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Because you'll be able to use strings that are comfortable for you and from what I've heard usually the 7th/8th string in packs that size are too small for a note that low and feel too floppy.

taea3

Reaction score

skymonster

Reaction score
Ive found D'Addario to be MY favorite string company. They have great tone, and dont die in a week. This is the set that i use on my RG2228 and its perfect in my taste.

D'Addario Strings : XL Nickel Round Wound : EXL140-8 Nickel Wound, 8-String, Light Top/Heavy Bottom, 10-74

If i were you, i would give it a shot, and see what you think. its alot cheaper than piecing together a set, and it will give you a good starting point so you can decide if you like them.

whats the Gauges i am guessing better then stock.

taea3

Reaction score
whats the Gauges i am guessing better then stock.

Well theres no real, better or worse when it comes to gauges, it just depends on how much tension you want. That set is a .10 to .74 set, and they call it a light top heavy bottom set. Meaning the smaller strings are a little light making them easier to bend during solos and such, but the larger strings are a bit heavier so they dont feel loose or floppy. overall the set is really comfortable IMO

Tyler

Reaction score
D'addario are easily my favorite because of how long they last. Ernie Balls die on me after 2 days and just sound too.. "empty" I guess is the word.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
My ears like Boomers the best.
I've heard many say they have an ice-picky quality to the highs,
but according to that hearing frequency test thread that was up last week, I don't pick up much over 16k anyways.

It's like a built in high-cut filter.

toecutter

Reaction score
D'addario, Good tone, reliable. That said, it has been beat to death but their 8 string set is all wrong. For my RGA8 I use a 9-42 SET then add .60 and an .80 for the perfect set.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
I just use elixirs because:

1- I couldn't discern between D'Addarios and Elixirs though a tone test.
2- Elixirs last 99999 times more
3- I'm lazy and I don't like changing strings! hahahaha

Bommel

Reaction score
Pyramid!! they make strings on custom order with the exact gauge you like

AND

Richard Rider they got special strings fittet fro drop tunings ect. check them out!

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Surprised I don't hear more love for Sinister Strings from Kerly Music. They're treated with metal tempering. From their website:
All Kerly strings are seasoned between minus 320F and plus 350F to reduce microcracking. This process makes our strings sound better and last longer.

I used Elixirs for ages, and as far as I can tell these last just as long, if not longer. To me they feel and sound better as well.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Skulls string are great, they last long (chrome/steel alloy). A set of their 9/58 7 strings pack + a .085 bass Skulls strings work perfectly.

Tyler

Reaction score
I just use elixirs because:

1- I couldn't discern between D'Addarios and Elixirs though a tone test.
2- Elixirs last 99999 times more
3- I'm lazy and I don't like changing strings! hahahaha

Elixirs are amazing even though they're expensive, I thought they added a bit more presence to the sound though which I had to compensate for in m patches

')