Best cables?

• Thread starter Dawn of the Shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Mogami; whom are also pricey... However, I suggest Ebay... The seller with the user name "Clarkcustomcables" has great deals on pairs.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i really really like analysis plus cables, especially the black oval, i've tried the yellow oval and a few others, (***besides the ridiculously expensive ones, ie 10k for a ....ing cable!!!!) anyways check out the black oval expensive but really good

TeeWX

All The Br00tz
Reaction score
Mogami with Neutrik connectors. Get them in bulk from Redco and make your own for dirt cheap.

We have a winner folks. I build all of mine this way, but I usually opt for amphenol connectors as they're much easier to work with. The quality is comparable. It'll cost you roughly $1 per foot to build high end cable at home.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Mogami with Neutrik connectors. Get them in bulk from Redco and make your own for dirt cheap.

Yes :yesway: I've also bought bulk cable and connectors from audiopile.net for good prices. Neutrik ends go for $2.50-5 each and their EWI bulk cable is like $0.35 per foot and isn't noticeably different from other high-quality cable.

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
I like Planet Waves, not too expensive, well built.

:noway::noway::noway:

Every planet waves cable ive ever bought has broken or stopped working way before it should have. I make my own. Sometimes if you want something done properly you gotta do it yourself. :hbang: :hbang:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Fender. Everything else set aside, I have a 25 years old one that still works fine. that's durability, now. :D

wakjob

Reaction score
As long as it's well built, durable and has the proper capacitance
that's needed to work with the rest of your rig.

Promit

Reaction score
This. I had a professor who painted two clothes hangers with shielding paint, and had no discernible difference between the clothes hangers and a high end cable on an oscilloscope.
To be fair, it does depend on the length of your runs. I have never seen a 50 foot coat hanger.

Anyways, it's not about best tone in guitar cables. What tiny differences there are don't matter in real life. What matters is having a rugged cable that will maintain its physically sound (and shielded if applicable) characteristics for years despite abuse.

Incidentally, has anybody tried the GFS cables?

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
This. I had a professor who painted two clothes hangers with shielding paint, and had no discernible difference between the clothes hangers and a high end cable on an oscilloscope.

Ehh... As much as I love the old coathanger story, it doesn't fully translate to guitar cables. Remember that guitar pickups present relatively high source impedance - an unbuffered passive signal can suffer attenuation in the relevant frequency range as a result of cable capacitance. Low-cap cables will help retain your high frequency content over longer cable runs (the capacitance increases with cable length). Active pickups present a much lower impedance signal and are safe from such effects.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I like mogami but kinda pricey. Does audioquest make guitar cables? If so I'd get those.

EDIT: looks like they don't

')