Best compressor for 8 string

• Thread starter markw1313
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markw1313

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some advice on compressors.
I'm using an RG8 with Bare Knuckle Emerald 8's.
I'm looking for a compressor for a clean sparkly sound.

Any ideas?
Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kroaton

Reaction score
It depends on taste really, most will say the Keeley Compressor is what you'll want, but the thing you should shoot for is versatility.

A compressor with controls for threshold, ratio, attack, release and in a perfect world makeup and knee is the bees knees of versatility.

I recently migrated to a rack only setup, but if you keep the parameters I've mentioned above in mind, you will find what you are looking for.

Reaction score
Maxon CP101. Sometimes less is more. ;)

You're in LA. There've gotta be music stores where you can A-B several.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I love my Keeley 4 knob but I realize the price is a little steep. My only advice is to not get a cs3 they're terrible and noisy IMO

markw1313

Reaction score
I've tried Boss & Keeley. They're both bad. I've never been a fan of the Keeley.
I'm thinking about an optical comp, but information is proving hard to find.

vansinn

Reaction score
I'd say use as little as possible, and try to get what is known as a sidetrack compressor/sustainer.

Those lets the signal through unmodified, and does the compression on a Y-split separate channel, which is then mixed with the direct.

It allows hearing/feeling the natural sound and attack, and as such, you playing style, while smoothly applying sustain from the sidetrack compressor as the string gradually by nature decays out.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
The Diamond Compressor is IMO the best on the market. Most of the others like the Keeley are based on a Ross and have a ton of squish that wont work well for the huge dynamic range of an 8 string. You want something that isn't so heavy handed.

vansinn

Reaction score
I'm gonna totally get shit for this, but I use the MXR Dyna-comp. *shrug* Sounds good to me.

No shit-loaded ICMB with you lat&long :lol: the Dyna is an all-time classic and very nice comp, though at times it can be a little 'compressed' sounding, depending on settings.
When set for limited action, it can be really nice and fluid.
Haven't had one since way back, but the emulation of it in my Lexicon MPX G2 works just fine ;)

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
I use a Cmatmods Deluxe Signa Comp, which is probably a Ross derivative....

Well... okay, basically, I had since I was on 6 strings and I never bothered change it out because it works.

Anyway, the really cool thing is the Tone knob. It cuts bass as you turn it up so it's easy to tighten up the low end of an 8 string.

But that said... Ross compressors aren't know for "clean, sparkly" tones. Go optical for that.

AlexThorpe

Reaction score
I'll cast another vote for a Diamond Compressor. Out of everything I sold for an axe-fx 2, it's one of the very few things I really miss. Just made everything sound great.

markw1313

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I'm off to the local music shop tomorrow to try out the pigtronics and a freind of a friend has a diamond that I'm going to have a play with at the weekend.
Cheers.

CanniballistiX

Detuned Fury
Reaction score
I picked up an Xotic SP Compressor. It's got a great blend dial that lets you choose how much of your original signal is there as well as the compressed signal. Besides that, there is a high, mid, and low switch that changes the tone in a subtle way. Most definitely worth checking out. I picked mine up for $132, you may be able to do better, especially if you find it used.

Here's a link to their site and there are four vids to check out:

Xotic Effects SP Compressor

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Still don't know what you're aiming to achieve with it, it'll make the suggestions less random.

Also the Keeley is optical IIRC.

markw1313

Reaction score
And the winner is ...........

TC Electronic Spectra Comp

I know it's meant for bass, but it works well with the 8 string, which I'm using 2 handed and clean like a Chapman Stick.
The single knob set in the range of 12 o'clock and 2 seems to be the optimum.

Of the others I tried, the Pigtronix and the Diamond were the runners up.
The Keeley and the Boss were horrible. I'd expected the Boss to be bad - I've tried one with a 6 string in the past, but I was surprised that a big name "boutique" manufacturer like Keeley would make something that is virtually unusable. A friend's £12 Behringer comp sounded better FFS!

vick1000

Reaction score
Holy thread necro Batman!!!!!!!!

It took you 3 years to find a comp?

')