Best compressor for 8 string

• Thread starter markw1313
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I choose to believe our friend Mark went out on a compression quest, dutifully trying each and every compressor on the market through numerous combinations of gear and processing. Complete with metric and scores for each to determine a mathematical winner. Doing whatever it took to locate the tone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

markw1313

Reaction score
Not that far from the truth. To be honest, on several occasions I did give up for a few months. Having a selection of amps available - Marshall, Sessionette, Roost and(briefly) Hiwatt - didn't make the search any easier. Compressors were borrowed, begged and bought(cheap) from ebay/craigslist/gumtree etc. I thought I cracked it several times(pedal & rack models) only to find after regular use that all was not well.
Finally settled on the Spectra Comp into the Sessionette - which is solid state - G-Major in the loop, Marshall 8008 power amp.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
Not that far from the truth. To be honest, on several occasions I did give up for a few months. Having a selection of amps available - Marshall, Sessionette, Roost and(briefly) Hiwatt - didn't make the search any easier. Compressors were borrowed, begged and bought(cheap) from ebay/craigslist/gumtree etc. I thought I cracked it several times(pedal & rack models) only to find after regular use that all was not well.
Finally settled on the Spectra Comp into the Sessionette - which is solid state - G-Major in the loop, Marshall 8008 power amp.

Thank you for your research and contributions to the GAS study field. :hbang:

Bluestreak

Reaction score
Thank you for your research and contributions to the GAS study field. :hbang:
I never found a compressor that equaled a solid rack mounted one. I have bought (and subsequently sold) at least a dozen pedal compressors. I have always used an old dbx 166 that I've had for... I can't tell you how long. Like, probably 20 years. I'm new to 8-strings (I have a Prestige 852) but the 166 does a great job with it. I daisy chain the two channels and it's unbeatable. They're on evilBay for $50~$100 all day long.

')