Best custom shop for a seven string?

• Thread starter joates2384
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Asking which custom shop is best is kind of like asking which STI is the worst, I personally wouldn't know because I've not had them all. Or one for that matter.

As mentioned before, Its not which is best, but which company is going to suit your needs better. Theres only so good a guitar can be.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Which guitar company do you guys think would make the best custom shop seven string(say price isnt a factor). Ran? BC RICH? Jackson? ESP? Some other one?

Is time/communication a factor? Serious question.

notice how most people recommend Hufschmid first!

Sure, but at the same time how many have actually seen/played one in person? :shrug: Just saying... ;)

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
-Unique and Ergonomic, with unique wood choices? Oni Guitars
-Top-Quality, figured maple, excellently finished guitars? Sherman Custom Guitars
-Beautiful copies of other instruments, with poor communication? RAN Guitars
-Mahogany bolt-on, oil-finished stripped-down instruments? Hufschmid Guitars
-Ibanez-style guitars and parts? Elysian Custom Guitars, ETGuitars, Jaden Rose, Sims Custom Shop
-Unique guitar shapes (or RG bodies) with myriad finishing options? Sims Custom Guitars
-"Metal" guitar shapes? Bernie Rico Jr., Elysian Custom Guitars
-Ergonomic, oil-finished multi-wood laminate guitars? Grosmann Guitars
-Low-cost (relatively speaking) modifications on production models? Agile Custom Shop
-Incredible guitar necks and/or top-notch PRS-style construction? Doug @ Soulmate Guitars

Just a few I can think of, and what they are most famous for

jsousa

Reaction score
-Top-Quality, figured maple, excellently finished guitars? Sherman Custom Guitars AND BERNIE RICO JR GUITARS
-Beautiful copies of other instruments, with poor communication? RAN Guitars
-Mahogany bolt-on, oil-finished stripped-down instruments? Hufschmid Guitars
-Ibanez-style guitars and parts? Elysian Custom Guitars, ETGuitars, Jaden Rose, Sims Custom Shop, RAN GUITARS
-Unique guitar shapes (or RG bodies) with myriad finishing options? Sims Custom Guitars and RAN GUITARS
-"Metal" guitar shapes? Bernie Rico Jr.
-Ergonomic, oil-finished multi-wood laminate guitars? Grosmann Guitars
-Low-cost (relatively speaking) modifications on production models? Agile Custom Shop
-Incredible guitar necks and/or top-notch PRS-style construction? Doug @ Soulmate Guitars

Just a few I can think of, and what they are most famous for

fixed :yesway:

also, those may be "what they are known for" yet, many of them are amazing in much more then one category. Not sure why KxK is left out here..?

we should have people post what company their custom is and how long they had to wait so we can get a time table comparison

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I forgot KxK, my bad. I'd file them under 'modifications on existing designs/shapes.'

Also, Sherman is much more of a 'build-anything' shop than BRJ is, as BRJ just has their own shapes and models. RAN is most famous for their 'copies' and, IMHO, I'd rather go somewhere else that specializes in the area I emphasized as that is their specialty.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
notice how most people recommend Hufschmid first!

That might be true and this isn't a crack at Patrick, but how many members on here have played a Hufschmid or owned one of the above listed customs?

I love when people recommend things like this without having any first hand experience which is crucial when ordering a custom.

:2c:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
+1

No disrespect to Hufschmid - I'm sure his guitars are phenomenal to play, especially considering they are custom to the extent of the neck carve (possibly the defining "feel" element of a guitar for most), but it's hardly fair to single one particular luthier out (not that anyone here is doing that - just my train of thought).

If anyone asked me to recommend a luthier, I'd ask what they were looking for in a guitar , and do so based on that (basically using TS's list as an exact guide :lol:), and the reputation the luthiers had with regards to customer service etc. While we're on the subject, I highly recommend ETGuitars for Ibanez based projects. Ernie is truly great at working and developing ideas.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
That might be true and this isn't a crack at Patrick, but how many members on here have played a Hufschmid or owned one of the above listed customs?

I love when people recommend things like this without having any first hand experience which is crucial when ordering a custom.

Sure, but at the same time how many have actually seen/played one in person? :shrug: Just saying... ;)

how many people play an LACS before they order their own? rarely anyone is my bet. there's a certain trust between the customer and the luthier, and personally I think Hufschmid is one of our best. he's a great guy and knows what he's talking about, what's wrong with recommending him?

in people's lists, Hufschmids name was first. that must mean that with some people on here, when they think quality luthier, they think Hufschmid. I was carrying the spirit of this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-lounge/87461-times-are-hard-for-the-little-guy.html

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score

And? I understand people wanting to "support the little guy" and all, but if you haven't played or seen one of their guitars in person how are you going to give the kid advice to buy one? :flame: I wouldn't tell you to buy ___________ builder if I hadn't had any experience with one at all because how am I going to really tell you something worthwhile? He's asking for informed responses and without having played or seen one yourself you're not really helping give the kid useful information. :2c:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
And? I understand people wanting to "support the little guy" and all, but if you haven't played or seen one of their guitars in person how are you going to give the kid advice to buy one? :flame: I wouldn't tell you to buy ___________ builder if I hadn't had any experience with one at all because how am I going to really tell you something worthwhile? He's asking for informed responses and without having played or seen one yourself you're not really helping give the kid useful information. :2c:

sounds like you've got something against Hufschmid to me :shrug:

you're basically saying "don't trust Hufschmid to build your custom guitar" which hardly helpful in itself as it is clearly biased.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like you've got something against Hufschmid to me :shrug:

Not at all, he seems like a nice guy. I'm not singling him out whatsoever, I'm saying it's shitty to give someone advice on ANY piece of gear if you've never touched one of the pieces yourself. I do, however, think it's lame to keep suggesting someone buy a guitar from a builder you have no experience with whatsoever, and then when people who call you on it you get defensive and say "why can't you support the little guy OMGZ!??!! HATERS!!!" :rolleyes: I've had experience with a lot of gear, but you don't see me giving people advice on what to buy if I've never tried it. That's what I'm saying. :2c:

how many people play a LACS before they order their own? rarely anyone is my bet. there's a certain trust between the customer and the luthier, and personally I think Hufschmid is one of our best. he's a great guy and knows what he's talking about, what's wrong with recommending him? I think you're overlooking that.

LACS is not open to the public. You cannot suggest that someone buys an LACS or give them advice on how awesome they are because you can't buy one and don't have access to one unless you meet an artist who has one or someone who purchased one from an LACS-endorsed Artist. That analogy doesn't make any sense, so your point is moot.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
how many people play an LACS before they order their own? rarely anyone is my bet.

Nobody, because the LACS isn't open to the public.
:nono:

And to add on to the Rico Jr stuff. he pretty much builds anything, everybody raves about his necks, and he's got all kinds of highly figured and lately exotic woods.
Jekyll_bh_02.jpg

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
it's shitty to give someone advice on ANY piece of gear if you've never touched one of the pieces yourself.

I didn't give any advice, I said notice how he's who people list first.

I do, however, think it's lame to keep suggesting someone buy a guitar from a builder you have no experience with whatsoever, and then when people who call you on it you get defensive and say "why can't you support the little guy OMGZ!??!! HATERS!!!" :rolleyes: I've had experience with a lot of gear, but you don't see me giving people advice on what to buy if I've never tried it. That's what I'm saying. :2c:

oh I agree, I don't give opinions on things I haven't played myself and I still haven't passed any opinions in this thread as of yet, but hardly anyone on this forum has played an independent luthier's custom guitars, people have just put foward the options that are available to the OP and Hufschmid is an option.

LACS is not open to the public. You cannot suggest that someone buys an LACS or give them advice on how awesome they are because you can't buy one and don't have access to one unless you meet an artist who has one or someone who purchased one from an LACS-endorsed Artist. That analogy doesn't make any sense, so your point is moot.

well ESP Custom Shop then? my point still stands. there has to be trust and Hufschmid is someone I personally trust. you trashing my saying so doesn't affect me at all :)

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Right, but in doing so you single out a specific builder, as if putting more emphasis on him being THE guy, and you've never played his work. See what I mean? :shrug:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody, because the LACS isn't open to the public.
:nono:

And to add on to the Rico Jr stuff. he pretty much builds anything, everybody raves about his necks, and he's got all kinds of highly figured and lately exotic woods.
Jekyll_bh_02.jpg

That one is gorgeous!! DAMN! :yesway:

i recommend waiting to buy someone's home depot build as your custom! :lol: :lol:

:rofl: +1 I've never played it, but someone else suggested it already in this thread so it must be good! ;) SUPPORT THE LITTLE GUY!!!! :lol:

Reaction score

:agreed:

Hence my reply...

Got a favorite guitar? One that you keep going back to? One that just feels like home? Go with that company.

Of course, given the wealth of information provided by the OP, can you really expect this thread to be productive?

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
well ESP Custom Shop then? my point still stands. there has to be trust and Hufschmid is someone I personally trust. you trashing my saying so doesn't affect me at all :)
Most everybody.... the entire point from ordering from a major company like ESP/Jackson/Fender etc is you like what they put out production wise and you want something that's to your exact specs and obviously comes built better...... Where as all these custom luthiers don't have production models in stores all over the world. You pretty much have to live close to the luthier, or know somebody who has one that you can play in order to have any experience on one before buying it.

')