Best custom shop for a seven string?

• Thread starter joates2384
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright gents - that's enough. :squint:

It is just something noticed in the past with people on this forum or others who've just seen pics of a builder and then based on the pics have recommend them to other. Without actually playing it, custom shop guitars are just too variable to recommend so get advice from people who've owned/played them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Custom shop instruments are completely unique, so its hard to reccommend anyone based on anything other than build quality. Most custom shops make pretty good guitars (otherwise they wouldn't be in business), so its just a case of looking at their past creations, customer reviews etc, and then planning your own. The only way a custom instrument is going to be bad is if its built by someone like Devries. And if you've ordered something from him...lol!

But personally, I'd get a custom by either Ibanez (if i was endorsed) or ESP> Though builders on here like Huf and Roter makes some great looking guitars, and I've played a Roter unamped and the build quality is epic. So of thats anything to go by, I should imagine they sound awesome.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Most everybody.... the entire point from ordering from a major company like ESP/Jackson/Fender etc is you like what they put out production wise and you want something that's to your exact specs and obviously comes built better...... Where as all these custom luthiers don't have production models in stores all over the world. You pretty much have to live close to the luthier, or know somebody who has one that you can play in order to have any experience on one before buying it.

yeah sure, which is why it boils down to trust. luthiers can do your exact specs but for cheaper.

Custom shop instruments are completely unique, so its hard to reccommend anyone based on anything other than build quality.

:agreed:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
yeah sure, which is why it boils down to trust. luthiers can do your exact specs but for cheaper.

:agreed:
It's more trust on the luthiers because 90% of people can't play a guitar by Huf or Roter or Rico before they order one. Anybody can go to a dealer and play a high end ESP/Jackson/Fender ect and have a good idea of the basic feel they're going to get. Price is a different story, from what people have said on this thread sherman is apparently very expensive, Hufs prices I'm not so sure on but I think they're probably pretty resnable and just from the few times I've talked to him he seems like an awesome guy, I wanna check out one of his guitars some time. Rico Jr. have an extremely competitive price seeing as you can get a custom shop from him for the price of a ESP Standard or equivilant series Jackson.

The only thing is most of these guys are using a lot more hand work and less CNC/machine oriented work compared to the big companies. Rico for instance doesn't even use CNC for his pickup routes andthe necks are done by hand as well.

jsousa

Reaction score
Rico Jr. have an extremely competitive price seeing as you can get a custom shop from him for the price of a ESP Standard or equivilant series Jackson.

i wouldnt say that cheap haha

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody, because the LACS isn't open to the public.
:nono:

And to add on to the Rico Jr stuff. he pretty much builds anything, everybody raves about his necks, and he's got all kinds of highly figured and lately exotic woods.
Jekyll_bh_02.jpg

Holy Crap!!!!:bowdown::bowdown:
ricos kick all kinds of ass.
Every custom builder will offer you something a little different, in playability looks, woods neck thru /set neck/bolt on etc.
You realy need to to spec something out that you'd like built and then look around.
I love the Rico 7's I've played (they are on the top of my list of custom shop "I wants") but I've also played a ton of GMW 6 strings that all kicked
major ass. Now that GMW is making 7's I need to think about them as well.
I have a good relationship with Lee Garver the owner of GMW and his pricing is very reasonable but are their 7's what I want? I don't know yet.
Ran makes gorgeous guitars as does KXK and Mike Sherman.
the Jackson Custom shop is another avenue to look at
as are the builders that post here.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Carvin? its not a true custom shop, but they have tons of options. Their guitars feel great as well.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm over extended scales. Standard scale is capable of the tuning I use and is more comfy to play.

This question can not be answered by a forum, very few members have played a custom, only a handful have played more then one. I doubt even Lee has played them all so no one is qualified to answer it. Even if there were a few guys qualified it is subjective, I tried some Vee's the other day and hated them, Dave loves his Vee's we also disagree on KxK, I don't think the one I played is worth the money they go for.

Some customs will be better in specific areas but not others.

There have been some names mentioned in this thread that I would not consider and a number of others that I doubt would disappoint anyone. What I think is more important is to decide what you want in your custom guitar first and then find someone to build that for you taking into consideration things like build time. Also if you are going to drop a serious amount of coin on a guitar I would suggest a little more investigation then asking a bunch of guys on a forum, cause it's possible that 95% of the guys offering their opinion are school kids that believe everything they read and think pretty pictures and a honeymoon review = the best guitar ever made.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
we also disagree on KxK, I don't think the one I played is worth the money they go for.

Some customs will be better in specific areas but not others.
Also if you are going to drop a serious amount of coin on a guitar I would suggest a little more investigation then asking a bunch of guys on a forum, cause it's possible that 95% of the guys offering their opinion are school kids that believe everything they read and think pretty pictures and a honeymoon review = the best guitar ever made.

Fully agree on both points... I really liked the KxKs I played, but when they told me the price I was like :ugh: The prices I saw online didn't seem as bad, but those were the "bad economy sale" or whatever special he had. Still I think he's an extremely nice guy and puts a lot into his guitars.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
What about Ormsby in Australia? They produce some cool looking guitars and they do do extended scales. But of course I've never had any experience with them, but Perry from the custom shop seems to do some awesome work.
IMG_4300.jpg

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned Carvin? its not a true custom shop, but they have tons of options. Their guitars feel great as well.
QFT - I love mine.
Also if you are going to drop a serious amount of coin on a guitar I would suggest a little more investigation then asking a bunch of guys on a forum, cause it's possible that 95% of the guys offering their opinion are school kids that believe everything they read and think pretty pictures and a honeymoon review = the best guitar ever made.

^ :agreed:
Get some real advice from people who've owned them (customs) instead of guys who oggle them on here and own RG7620s :lol:

Reaction score
All this talk about asking guys who've actually played certain customs is worthless until the OP coughs up some info. You know, like what guitar he plays now, what he likes about it/doesn't like about it, what style he plays, what sounds he's looking for, etc. I'd recommend the 2 custom shops I've had experience with, but what would be the point?

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To the OP - please specify what you'd like in a custom or drop some more information as this thread is gonna get sour real quick in which case it'd be locked up as there are a lot of these "what custom" threads that never really get to any conclusion.

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Without knowing what floats the OP's boat, I would suggest Sherman, ESP, and Jackson Custom shops on the higher priced end, and KXK or used LACS on the midpriced range.

I have played extensively and owned them all.

')